Panasonic TX-P42G20B or Sony KDL40EX503U

SBanga

I'm having trouble deciding between the Sony and the Panasonic for a bedroom TV. The Sony is slightly cheaper, with a longer warranty and looks quite a bit better. However, I've a feeling the Panasonic will have better picture quality.

The question is, by how much? Is the picture really that much better for me to disregard the £30 saving, four years extra warranty and much better looks of the Sony? Or is the Sony as good as What HiFi say?

duffer

I see that you've already got the Kuro 5090. Of course the Panasonic will be nothing like that but if you're happy with the quality of plasma, why go for a stripped down low budget Sony LCD TV?

Having said that I've just ordered a EX403 40" for the in-laws. They've heard plasmas have been banned and will burn your house down with the heat they let off. It just wasn't worth going there... Plus, like you said, Panasonic costs more, no extended warranty, Sony has VAT back offer, etc.

YNWA

SBanga

Thanks duffer. I do prefer plasma to LCD from what I've seen but I've only really seen LCDs in comparison to my Pioneer and some friends' Panasonic plasmas (all happily advised by me ;)).

I would've thought both TVs are pretty low end, certainly when compared to stuff like the Sony KDL-40LX903 and Panasonic TX-P42VT20B. I was just wondering if anyone had seen both together and if there was a huge difference in picture quality.

I think I'm trying to talk myself into buying the Sony just to try something different from all my friends if I'm honest! It'll probably be a disastrous decision and I should use my common sense shouldn't I? :suicide:

duffer

Hey there, IMO a low end Panasonic plasma will be miles more enjoyable to watch than a low to mid range LCD. Mine (well the in-laws) Sony EX403 arrives next week so I'll be able to see properly if there's been any real improvement in LCD at that price range since I got my plasma 2 years ago.

If it's something different you're after then certainly it's a good choice. But don't be disappointed that it looks cheap after looking at the Kuro in the sitting room, the LX903 online and then going to your bedroom to the 403.

I presume it would be fairly dimmed lighting in the bedroom?

SBanga

Thanks once again duffer. Brightness isn't one of the deciding factors as the Kuro is in a pretty bright room (during the day) and copes fine to my eyes. I'm not really a fan of super bright displays as they don't seem natural to me.

I should say, I will be getting Sky+ HD in my bedroom too so picture quality will probably be a bigger factor than I made out. I'm not buying the TV for a few weeks yet so I'll wait until you receive your in-law's set and see what you make of it compared to your Panny.

duffer

I'll have no way to hook up the Sony to Sky HD. The Panasonic is connected to a Samsung HD skybox and I'm very impressed with the SD PQ and the few HD channels that I have but I was expecting better HD PQ than what I had (probably because my PX80 is only 720p) so I cancelled the HD pack.

The test will be how both handle Blu-ray. Just need to get one of those £59 Sony players from Amazon!

SBanga

Any kind of indication (SD or HD) of the picture quality would be a great help :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom