Panasonic TX-P42G10 or Sony KDL40W5500?

k21000

Standard Member
I cannot decide on these two. My main viewing at the moment is Sky non HD, but will move up to HD soon. I have a large DVD collection and want the best overall performance from this media. I am very interested in a Blu Ray player as I hope to get even more from my favourite movies. Motion blur and backlight issues have always put me off LCD's, but after looking at the Sony recently, I was impressed. Basically I want the best inky blacks, smooth motion, high contrast and true colour for a 40-42" display for under a grand.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
G10, especially considering it's incredibly deep blacks, great contrast and smooth motion, colours aren't the most accurate (without breaking into the service menu) but still very good. Personally the G10 would be the deffinite choice for me

Lancelot73

Standard Member
I've just bought a TX-P46G10 over a KDL46W5500. The two main things that swayed me were the Sony's issue with gaming lag and general picture quality.
I still think the Plasma vs LCD war is far from over with Plasma still holding firm. The image retention issue, should not be an issue as long as you look after the set.

jayden28

It would have to be the G10 the new sonys aint that much better than last years models while panasonic have improved the new range alot than last years models when it comes to picture but im not that convinced by the design of the g10.

Mowgley

Standard Member
i was in the same boat G10 or W5500
Went for the G10 in the end.
PS3 looks incredible
SD with std sky+ impressive
Std DVD also look very good but not a patch on blu ray:eek:
Decided on the G10 mainly on the recommendation on this forum. Couldn't find a G10 set up have desent anywhere.
Keep reading on LCD section about uneven back light (which would drive me mad when watching dvd or bluray)
Hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom