• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TX-P42G10 and SD dilema

skatanafas

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a TX-P42G10 based on rave reviews everywhere, but every review I've read also makes some mention of poor upscaling from SD. We only have freeview in the house (long-standing grudge with Mr. Murdoch...) and we do watch more TV than movies or games. Can anybody recommend an alternative on a par with the Panasonic that might give us better performance with the day-to-day misery that accompanies Eastenders and other similar rubbish that we can't stop watching on terrestrial SD TV...? Thanks. BTW, I have no particular favour for either plasma or LCD and don't mind spending (a bit) more...

Any advice would be most welcome! Cheers.

j17ykp

Standard Member
i'm also in the same boat, me and misses love the look of teh display model of the g10 in JL,

but the reviews say it underperforms when playing SD, is this the same from a bog standard sky + box too?

regards

Jay.

Kevo

Prominent Member
I have the 46G15 (same panel as teh G10) and am more than happy with the SD/FV. I used to have the 42PV500 which had excellent SD but the G15 has much more natural looking colours and the blacks are a lot better of course.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a TX-P42G10 based on rave reviews everywhere, but every review I've read also makes some mention of poor upscaling from SD. We only have freeview in the house (long-standing grudge with Mr. Murdoch...) and we do watch more TV than movies or games. Can anybody recommend an alternative on a par with the Panasonic that might give us better performance with the day-to-day misery that accompanies Eastenders and other similar rubbish that we can't stop watching on terrestrial SD TV...? Thanks. BTW, I have no particular favour for either plasma or LCD and don't mind spending (a bit) more...

In a nutshell, SD, on the G10, is scaled really well over RGB Scart, not so good @ 576i over HDMI and the inbuilt tuner is also not as good as a RGB scart connection:)

godxiang

Standard Member
Not mind the SD,you should know this Plasma TV is much better than other.
the brightness is more improved,the white and black color seems more better.
And all part pass the HIVICAST test,and any thing is nice.

F

Fatwaz

the g10 is very good but if all you are watching is freeview and sd pics then you really are better off saving some money and getting the x10 imho

skatanafas

Standard Member
Thanks all. Almost convinced, but thinking about the V10 now... THX certification and DNLA could be worth the extra. Does anyone know how it handles Standard Definition freeview?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks all. Almost convinced, but thinking about the V10 now... THX certification and DNLA could be worth the extra. Does anyone know how it handles Standard Definition freeview?

Although i personaly do not use the Freeview tuner (I use Sky HD plus the built in Freesat) IMO the Freeview tuner is as good as most & better than some :) not a lot between the Freeview/Freesat tuners.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

Dont get me started! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously...

If its for SD only I cant see there being much difference between the X10/G10/V10. If you are planning on HD in the near future (sky HD or blu-ray) id go with a G10/V10.

All three are solid buys though. I think the X10 and G10 are amazing value for money. V10 is another slight step up again if you want to pay the extra. :thumbsup:

Whats your viewing distance? The price difference between 42" and 50" on the X10/G10 isnt that great now.

Hi,

Freeview is poor on Panasonic plasmas.

Other people find it acceptable but even when you see upscaled DVD it puts the low quality into context.

The Freeview picture on my 2007 50" Samsung Plasma was better than on my 2008 42" TH42X80B.

And from what I have read there has been no real improvement this year.

The 2009 Samsung LCDs have a new SD scaling chip. I saw them on display and Freeview stood out compared the other LCDs and plasmas on display.

Where the Panasonic excels is HD and gaming , if your primary concern is Freeview and SD look elsewhere.

Alternatively you could by a Freeview receiver with HDMI upscaling that should give you a pretty good picture dependent on the quality of the channel broadcast.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom