Panasonic TX-P37X10B is it worth calibrating

Nick.M.G.

Standard Member
Hi I am thinking of getting one of this to replace my Loewe Aventos CRT to get the benefit of my PS3.

I know this TV is more of a budget TV and I would get a better plasma if I had the room but 37 inch is my absolute maximum size.

I have seen some reviews stating it does suffer from some slight colour issues with SD content (I do not have sky HD yet and have a lot of DVD which would be played via a Pioneer 600AV).

Would ISF calibration reduce/solve these issues and do you calibrate each input source (DVD.PS3,Sky) seperately. Bearing in mind the cost of calibration in proportion to the cost of the TV (£499) am I better off using a good set up DVD (any recomendations appreciated) instead.
Thanks
Nick

Piers

22 views no replies
Anyone:D

The Panasonic Vieras are difficult to calibrate and take a long time to do well. I suspect that this may be why no professional calibrator has replied so far.

With the right pre-sets selected the P37X10B can deliver a picture that is reasonably close to industry standard.

A calibration DVD will help to optimise the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings. Without test equipment it will not help with optimising the white balance. The likely cost of hiring a pro with the test kit is going to be a very substantial proportion of the cost of the TV and in my view cannot make sense. Even if you go down the DIY route and buy an entry level video analyser it will still be a substantial proportion of the cost of the TV.

Probably not what you hoped to hear :eek:

Dorset Dave

As my Panasonic tv does not have a colour management system is there any point in having it professionaly calibrated. Would the high cost of calibration be justified if the viera is, as a previous post stated, difficult to calibrate. I would be willing to pay the cost but only if I could see an appreciable difference in picture quality. Panasonic TX37"LZD800.

Iain Gibson

As my Panasonic tv does not have a colour management system is there any point in having it professionaly calibrated. Would the high cost of calibration be justified if the viera is, as a previous post stated, difficult to calibrate. I would be willing to pay the cost but only if I could see an appreciable difference in picture quality. Panasonic TX37"LZD800.

Not many screens do have a properly functioning Colour Management System, so I wouldn't see that as a major disadvantage. The Vieras usually have a pretty good colour decoder and are also capable of good dynamic range, shadow and highlight detail, and D65 tracking when calibrated. I have done several and always had very respectable results with visible improvements. Only you can decide if the cost of calibration is justified -- but it may not be as much as you think :)
Contact calibrators individually for quotes.

Pulse1

I calibrated my Panasonic 42px80 plasma a few months back and noticed quite a difference from the best out of the box settings so i would say that personally it's worth it ;) But as already stated it's only you that can decide on the matter :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom