Panasonic TX-LXXDT65B Owners Thread

NikonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen an “Owners Thread” on the forum for the Panasonic DT65 series so I thought I’d start one. So here goes…

I have have had my TX-L42DT65B for over two weeks now, if you have any questions please let me know.

Last edited:
UPDATED 10/5/2013

My current settings are as follows, this gives me a great image with excellent black levels.

The calibration was made using the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, HCFR 3.0.4.2 and Gamut Calibration Disk.

Picture Page 1

Viewing Mode: Professional1
Backlight: 60
Contrast: 80 (See note below)
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 60
Colour Temperature: Warm2
Vivid Colour: Off
Adaptive Backlight Control: Daytime Viewing = Off / Night Viewing = Min or Max (See note below)

Page 2

Ambient Sensor: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Remaster: Off
Resolution Remaster Off
Caption Smoothing Off
Brilliance Enhancer Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Min

Advanced Settings

Adaptive Gamma Control: 0
Black Expander: 0
Clear White Effect: 0

White Balance

R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -7
R-Cutoff: -1
G-Cutoff: 0
B-Cutoff: -1

Colour Management

R-Hue: 0
R-Sat: 8
R-Lum: 1
G-Hue: 0
G-Sat: 0
G-Lum: -4
B-Hue: 0
B-Sat: 0
B-Lum: 6
C-Hue: 0
C-Sat: 0
C-Lum: -3
M-Hue: 0
M-Sat: 0
M-Lum -1
Y-Hue: -8
Y-Sat: 0
Y-Lum: 1

Gamma

Gamma: 2.2

Option Settings

Game Mode: Off
Film Cadence Mode: On
1080p Pixel Direct: Off

Notes:

The Adaptive Backlight Control (Local Dimming) works very well in the Professional Viewing Modes, however it does not work correctly in the Custom Viewing Mode for some reason.

Be very careful with the contrast control, on my TV anything above 85 clips whites.

Last edited:
Hi nikonguy do you suffer with any backlight bleed or clouding, and is the motion handling good with movies and sport?? Thanks.

Ninjafoot said:
Hi nikonguy do you suffer with any backlight bleed or clouding, and is the motion handling good with movies and sport?? Thanks.

+1 I'm coming from plasma so need to know answers to the above before I buy.

I also came from a plasma (42GT50) so going LED was a leap of faith for me.

On my unit there's is no backlight bleed or clouding whatsoever, the backlight is also totally uniform when viewing in darkness.

Having watched Football and F1 I have no issues with motion with IFC set on Min. I also watched Fast & Furious and again no issues.

The biggest surprise coming from a plasma was the richness of the colours, my GT50 looks dull by comparison. It is also great to get rid of DFC that was a big problem on my GT50 skin look great now on the DT65.

Also worth talking about is the Adaptive Backlight (Local Dimming) this works very well if used in the correct viewing mode. Watching Grimm last night in a dark room with the Adaptive Backlight turned to Max gave Plasma black levels, it was incredible and the dimming was seamless you could not see any imbalance in the picture.

I was initially going to get the FT60 but that did not have local dimming so I decided on the DT65 instead.

Last edited:

On my unit there's is no backlight bleed or clouding whatsoever, the backlight is also totally uniform when viewing in darkness.

Having watched Football and F1 I have no issues with motion with IFC set on Min. I also watched Fast & Furious and again no issues.

The biggest surprise coming from a plasma was the richness of the colours, my GT50 looks dull by comparison. It is also great to get rid of DFC that was a big problem on my GT50 skin looks great now on the DT65.

Also worth talking about is the Adaptive Backlight (Local Dimming) this works very well if used in the correct viewing mode. Watching Grimm last night in a dark room with the Adaptive Backlight turned to Max gave Plasma black levels, it was incredible and the dimming was seamless you could not see any imbalance in the picture.

I was initially going to get the FT60 but that did not have local dimming so I decided on the DT65 instead.

all sounds good. How do you find the shiny bezel, is the fact that it's quite reflective distracting? It's the one thing that puts me off the look of this TV.

Yeah the shiny bezel put me off a little at first but after day to day use I do not notice it now.

I will add the TV does look premium class with it compared to the bezel on the FT60 and ET60 :smashin:

Last edited:
Yeah the shinny bezel put me off a little at first but after day to day use I do not notice it now.

I will add the TV does look premium class with it compared to the bezel on the FT60 and ET60 :smashin:

i agree it does look like a classy set, so does the FT not have the shiny bezel then, i've yet to see one in the flesh. How do you find the sound on the DT? I was looking at the ET but they view seems to be the sound is rubbish on that set.

The biggest surprise coming from a plasma was the richness of the colours, my GT50 looks dull by comparison. It is also great to get rid of DFC that was a big problem on my GT50 skin look great now on the DT65.

SOLD! John Lewis aren't price matching Richersounds yet but I'm persevering.

Had virtually decided to go for the 55" Samsung F8000, but reading the comments of some of the owners I looked for possible alternatives. The 60" DT65 ticks all the right boxes plus there's a much bigger jump in screen size from my current 52". I've seen the F8000 and was very impressed but no one is stocking the 60" DT65 so that I could compare the picture quality. My only concern is since I sit roughly three metres away is whether a 60" might be a bit big!

SOLD! John Lewis aren't price matching Richersounds yet but I'm persevering.

JL price matched Total Digital for me yesterday, I paid £1399 2 weeks ago and they price matched Total Digital's £1299, a nice £100 saving :smashin:

A few pictures of my DT65 in action.

Note I have not calibrated the TV yet but the out of the box calibration is quite good.

This image is shot in a daylight lit room, the gray patches near the bottom left of the screen are a reflection from the living room and not a problem with the panel:-

dt651.jpg

Here are two images shot in darkness using the Adaptive Backlight (Local Dimming) setting on 'Min' in the True Cinema viewing mode:-

dt652.jpg

dt653.jpg

Last edited:
i agree it does look like a classy set, so does the FT not have the shiny bezel then, i've yet to see one in the flesh. How do you find the sound on the DT? I was looking at the ET but they view seems to be the sound is rubbish on that set.

I would rate the sound as very good for a TV, I do however use external 5.1 speakers myself.

There is a user review on the JL site that also says good things about the sound:-

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-L42DT65B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 42 Inch with Freeview/Freesat HD & 4x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

all sounds good. How do you find the shiny bezel, is the fact that it's quite reflective distracting? It's the one thing that puts me off the look of this TV.

The ft60 doesn't have the shiny border going around the bezel.

NikonGuy said:
A few pictures of my DT65 in action.

Note I have not calibrated the TV yet but the out of the box calibration is quite good.

This image is shot in a daylight lit room, the gray patches near the bottom left of the screen are a reflection from the living room and not a problem with the panel:-

Here are two images shot in darkness using the Adaptive Backlight (Local Dimming) setting on 'Min' in the True Cinema viewing mode:-

I want to believe There's not a significant loss of shadow detail in the dark areas on people's faces in the nighttime pics. Can you do the same with a blu ray as it could be the broadcast.

Thanks

I want to believe There's not a significant loss of shadow detail in the dark areas on people's faces in the nighttime pics. Can you do the same with a blu ray as it could be the broadcast.

Thanks

There is no loss of shadow detail in any dark scenes I have watched, this particular scene had harsh lighting but there is still subtle detail that the camera did not pick up.

Try turning up the brightness on your monitor you should see the subtle detail for example on the side of the woman's face.

My advice is to go and see a DT65 in person and take some of your own blu ray's to try out, you will not be disappointed.

It does look like black crush in those pictures, also as it's an IPS panel with a contrast ratio of only 1000/1 and all reviews state that the biggest weak point of this tv is its poor blacks, I'm surprised to hear your say "plasma quality blacks"?

Are you sure?
I know it's a nice tv, I have played with one in JL. But even in store running AVS test patterns and watching blurays of the dark knight, the tv was showing slighly greyish blacks and lost small amounts of shadow detail when LD was enabled.

That's not me trying to rain on your parade or anything, but it's just a hard pill to swallow without more evidence, considering that both AVForums and Trusted reviews (and my own views in store) show that the DT65s black levels are definetely not in the realm plasma levels :(

Last edited:
Had the 47 for a week now changed from a pioneer 42 can't believe the quality over the plasma, still need to spend the time setting up, only disappoint was the 55 was to big for our room:laugh:

I've ordered mine now and I'm coming from panny plasmas G30 / GT50. Fingers crossed I wont be disappointed. I'll let you know what I think on Wednesday when she arrives. If the blacks are no good it's a good excuse to buy some new lamps for the living room :)

I've ordered mine now and I'm coming from panny plasmas G30 / GT50. Fingers crossed I wont be disappointed. I'll let you know what I think on Wednesday when she arrives. If the blacks are no good it's a good excuse to buy some new lamps for the living room :)

I look forward to your review.
It's not a bad thing to mention the tvs flaws, I'm not putting it down and I'm eager to see what you say (coming from plasma) but from what I saw (with test patterns) the blackest black it could was about 10% on the scale, (which coincides with 0.1 from AVForums) and a loss of shadow detail 10/20% when enabling LD.

While not a Show stopper, I think it's silly for us to say it has plasma blacks, when quite clearly, no IPS panel comes close as they only have a 1000/1 contrast ration at maximin peak. Samsung panels go much darker etc buy ips can't go dark very well :(

Potential buyers may buy it thinking its 0.01 black levels or pure black and be disappointed when it arrives. Better to be super honest and criticl for the greater good IMO. Gives everyone a clear vision when opting in.

Give it a good thrashing :D

Last edited:

I also came from the GT50, I hated the IR, DFC and dull lifeless images I got on the plasma (It was calibrated), I just had to try something different...

At the end of the day you can always send it back if you don't like it!

My DT65 is staying :eek:

Try my setting's above and report back :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom