Panasonic TX-L55ET60B 3D LED Television Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 27th February 2013. The sideways move in panel technology hasn’t proved a painful one for the Panasonic ET60, in fact in a number of key factors it’s an improvement over the outgoing series. It’s a beautiful, smart and very capable performer that positively merits an AVForums Recommended Award.
Read the full review...

Excellent review, thanks Mark.

So pleased to see that the change of panel and active to passive hasnt been a clanger!

Now hurry up and get the DT65 - thats the one I'm intersted in :D

Thanks for the review, planning can test the 42 inch version?
And if you test a series of E6?

We might well cover the 42-inch later in the year but it wont be a priority for now.

Yes, Steve has the 50E6 right now so expect that review soon.

You can subscribe for notification of when it's published here, to the right hand side.

Hey Mark,

Good review.

I see the menus now have a numbered system like the US models did on the 50 series.

Are you able to tell me if: a) advanced setting per input now or still universal across all viewing modes. B) are settings on say True Cinema now lockable ?

Thanks

hi is the 3d on this model better than lg tv.s both company's which are passive now in their led range which produce's better 3d picture overall :thumbsup:

when the wt60 flagship in for review eta plz :rotfl:

Hey Mark,

Good review.

I see the menus now have a numbered system like the US models did on the 50 series.

Are you able to tell me if: a) advanced setting per input now or still universal across all viewing modes. B) are settings on say True Cinema now lockable ?

Thanks

Hey Nev

a) They can be saved independently now for True Cinema and Custom and also copied to whichever input you like so now it's perfectly possible to have a 'Day Mode' without compromises. I probably should have mentioned that in the review, thanks for bringing it up.

b) They're not lockable unfortunately, that will be reserved for the models with isf Modes.

hi is the 3d on this model better than lg tv.s both company's which are passive now in their led range which produce's better 3d picture overall :thumbsup:

About the same as I remember LG's being from last year but haven't seen a 2013 LG yet.

WT60 ETA = ASAP:)

As a 3D refusenik, I still lament Panasonic's decision to drop active 3D for passive :thumbsdow

Reason is I can see horizontal line structure of the polarising panel in passive sets which I find distracting -while watching 2D material.

The outgoing active WT50 is a fine looking set esp with its thin black bezel, sadly there won't be an active replacement.

I think panasonic has done it this year with the led range passive 3d tech i can,t stand the active give me a flippin headache i take passive over active anyday samsung and sony still to follow just waiting on wt60 should be much better can;t wait:facepalm:

is panasonic using lg 3d panels on the led range

Gaming lag? Usually mentioned isn't it!

Whoops - forgot about the other pages, forgive me I only got up 30 mins ago!

Nice Review as always Mark. :smashin:

Ive got a few questions

1. How is the Screen Uniformity?
2. Do you see any DSE or vertical Banding on the Panel?

THX

1. Very good as I said review
2. No DSE spotted on this unit, the only time I could see VB was with an all black pattern so not worth mentioning

Mark Hodgkinson said:
Hey Nev

a) They can be saved independently now for True Cinema and Custom and also copied to whichever input you like so now it's perfectly possible to have a 'Day Mode' without compromises. I probably should have mentioned that in the review, thanks for bringing it up.

b) They're not lockable unfortunately, that will be reserved for the models with isf Modes.

Thanks =)

Lockable settings and per input advanced menu is what the ST50 really lacks.

Now they've done it with the new gui, you see any chance of an update for the 50 series ?

( not holding my breath on it ).

Nevaborn said:
Thanks =)

Lockable settings and per input advanced menu is what the ST50 really lacks.

Now they've done it with the new gui, you see any chance of an update for the 50 series ?

( not holding my breath on it ).
At a huge guess no.
No point spending cash on updating an ok gui when they can show you a new 'improved' version available for the small fee of upgrading your tv ;) lol

Insanity202 said:
At a huge guess no.
No point spending cash on updating an ok gui when they can show you a new 'improved' version available for the small fee of upgrading your tv ;) lol

Your prob right.

Guess too much to hope for product support after the year of release.

If they had solved some of plasmas inherent faults I may have gone wow sign me up but its a small improvement for extra layout.

Mark any idea when the WT60 and DT60 reviews will land?

Does the TX-L47ET60 have the same features as the item reviewed?
I mean the same specs, except screen size?

Hi Mark,

I must say I love reading your reviews. You focus on the things that really matter to the consumer!

You delve into the inner workings, you pick up on nearly all a tvs shortcomings, you test all scenaros formpossible bugs etc that are previlent on OTHER tvs and manufactures! Therefore you put your readers mind at rest regarding issues with panels or inherant faults with certain technology!

You pick out as much information as you can, and nform your readers of this, which aloows us to make an informed decision on the products we buy :thumbsup:

I hope you never loose that way of reviewing. You really grill a product, and by doing so you gain the upmost respect possible from your readers who listen to (and trust you) as it means there are no nasty surprises for us upon delivery :smashin:

If I'm honest, your reviews are the only ones I really trust.

There is nothing worse than buying a new tv, reading these reviews, getting it home and finding a niggle you can't live with, with your reviews you point out all niggles, no matter how small and for this... Well for this i thank you dearly!

You have steered me in the direction of the best products for me over the years :thumbsup:

I love how you really put a product through its paces, check for faults, bugs and issues (and report them) and you also check users feedback and issues too! This is the sign of a fantastic journalist. The reason I come here, is solely for your reviews.

I do have a quick question re: the Panasonic range.
I know you haven't had a dt65 or a wt65 yet, but when you do get them, could you check to see if the local dimming is the same on each model. The reason I ask is this..
Products - Compare Products - Panasonic UK & Ireland

It says the wt65 has BLS 16 zones + local dimming and the the dt65 has BLS 6 zones with local dimming.

I can't decide if that means the local dimming is reduced or affected by the zones of only the BLS to allow the increase in back light flicker.

From my research, it would appear that the 1600 BLS means every 4th (or so) LED will "Blink" and n the 3600 BLS every 2nd led will blink. But that this shouldn't effect ny local dimming etc.

Meaning that the local dimming is the same, they both have the clear panel pro filter etc and only the amount of blinking backlights are affected.

If so, this means I can forgo the inbuilt camera, and the 3600 BLS (as I usually disable all that anyway) and grab the DT65.

Anyway, really looking forward to your reviews of these models, I hope to see them soon.

Keep up the good work!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom