Panasonic TX-L42ET5B Overscan issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by kvfive, Aug 8, 2012.

1. kvfive

kvfive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed the niggle with the 'Overscan' setting ?

I've got it set to 'OFF' when on any of the HDMi inputs, really not required on any HD source as it applies a slight zooming effect to the image (well quite alot really) and especially whilst gaming you do lose an unacceptable amount of the original source.

Yet (and here's the issue) when on Freeview / OTA I have it set to 'ON' if I don't then I get the 10mm black lines either side of the image on certain channels (BBC Olympics included on SD) so with 'Overscan' set to the 'ON' position for OTA broadcasts, no matter what viewing mode I am in (Normal, Cinema etc etc) this overscan 'ON' setting gets carried over to the HDMi inputs, it appears to be a generic setting yet it's available for selection in everyone of the 'Viewing Modes'

Just wondered if someone else can confirm the same problem ?

Getting fed-up with constantly changing the setting to suit what source I'm viewing !!

To be honest the overscan function seriously degrades the image / picture anyway (It's a bit over-kill, more like a Zoom Aspect settings) with it set to 'OFF' on SD broadcasts they look so much clearer/detailed - just a shame about the black edges

I've contacted Panasonic about this and also about the lack of HDD/PVR Recording, not sure what they are like on responding.... time will tell

2. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have the 37" version of your set and I can confirm what you describe, happens on mine.

In fact I have an aerial guy coming around tomorrow as not only do I get the black lines down the sides (that's just the way it seems to be - and yes, having to switch overscan on/off is annoying). At both left and right sides within the picture are a pair of slightly wavy "tramlines" running top to bottom within picture..do you get that? I'm assuming it's aerial/coax related and both this and our 19" panny exhibit this artefact. If anyone knows what may be the cause, I'm all ears.

In common with other "features" like noise reduction, and CATS, the overscan option unfortunately applies across all the normal/cinema/dynamic etc modes and across SD/HD despite it supposedly being able to be set independently for HD and SD in the manual.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    If you get this on analogue tuner, yes, it's possible it's aerial related, if it's digital reception no.

4. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Both are digital and fed from the same aerial via a splitter/booster. However, even when eliminating the splitter from the equation and feeding the 37" tv from the aerial only, the artefacts remain :-( What does that leave? Surely both tv's cannot be faulty?

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I can't suggest anything at the moment but I'd certainly cancel the aerial man.

6. kvfive

kvfive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't get the wavey lines on any source... Does this occur with a HDMi source also ?

Thanks for replying to my original thread :) much appreciated.

7. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ooops and apologies, didn't mean to hijack your thread :blush:

Re. the lines, they only occur on SD OTA. Not on HD or playing back through HDMI or watching SD via HDMI.

I also notice in your original post you mention lack of HDD recording - not sure what that is referring to, but this model doesn't do that according to all the literature I read. I think that comes with the next model up, the ET50B?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Postcript to last post: TV aerial man has come and checked all signal levels on his meter and it is basically good strong Sig, Sig to noise ratio is good and no suggestion of any aerial or cable problems.

Interestingly he spoke to local tv shop who said to use the overscan, which does remove the artefact by pushing the picture out like a subtle "zoom" (top and bottom) and moves the left/right parts of the pic out of view. Arguably that, works, but should that be necessary? I.e Are we masking the problem or is this the way it is?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. kvfive

kvfive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now know what you mean by the noise / wavey lines... It's not your tv, by going through various SD channels I get them also (Overscan Off) It's simply picture noise... The extreme edge of the original footage (if that makes sense ?)

10. kvfive

kvfive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps - The reason I'm mentioning the lack of HDD recording is down to other countries (exact same tv) have this feature enabled.... Yet UK versions of this tv do not :(

11. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the comment about the pic noise - much appreciated.

Shame about the lack of recording too - would have liked that, but at 37" there's a limit to the model I could sensibly use (not to mention the extra cost)

Thanks again :thumbsup:

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Can someone on here please test something for me?

When you plug in headphones does the main volume control the headphone volume or do you still have to go into the SOUND menu and then adjust in there?

13. grnicol

grnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just tried it and yes, you need to alter the headphone sound, not the main volume control, which only affects the TV speakers.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Thanks for that, that's a shame, was considering running a pair of B&O active speakers off it, but can't be bothered with all that.