Panasonic TX-L42E6EK vs Sony KDL40W605BBI

tosodj

Novice Member
Hi guys,
I have to buy a new LED TV... It is about a month that I am looking on the web in order to find the right TV but I am very hesitant.

I am based in Italy and here I have found Pana TX-L42E6EK for about 499 Euro and Sony 605 for 527 Euro.

Which model I have to prefer?
Thanks very much for your help.
Regards
Daniele

jlost

The Sony 605 looks great without calibration, but being LED backlit it is a little bulkier.

st60

Novice Member
I've just bought a Panasonic L32E6E and while the image quality is stunning, the motion resolution is weak. What I mean is there's lots of detail loss in motion, and some ghosting on SD sources.

Other thoughts:
SD image quality varies from good to unbelievable (for SD) on some channels.
Black level is really bad. Before I go further, this is my first LED TV and I didn't knew why people were craving so much about good black level. Now I know. This set in a dark room looks like a CRT with brightness level set too high. It's not just the blacks that are affected, but everything. In night-time viewing black has a blue-ish tone and it's not fixable.
The colors are impeccable, using these settings, with lower backlight and higher contrast:
The Panasonic E6 Owners Thread | Page 17 | AVForums
EDIT: Very little bleeding on the left side.
Occasionally banding on Blue colors (not noticeable in normal viewing)
Sound is just ok. If you're watching normal TV in an average room, it's enough.

My biggest gripes are black level and motion resolution.

Bottom line. My Panasonic suffers from motion resolution loss, and I suspect the 42 inch model is the same. From what I've read Sony is a little bit better with motion resolution and black level, while the colors are not so great. (still miles better than Samsung). Between the two selected go with Sony 605, though what I recommend is a Sony 829 for much better motion resolution.

Buy a Sony 829.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Novice Member
I've just bought a Panasonic L32E6E and while the image quality is stunning, the motion resolution is weak. What I mean is there's lots of detail loss in motion, and some ghosting on SD sources.

Other thoughts:
SD image quality varies from good to unbelievable (for SD) on some channels.
Black level is really bad. Before I go further, this is my first LED TV and I didn't knew why people were craving so much about good black level. Now I know. This set in a dark room looks like a CRT with brightness level set too high. It's not just the blacks that are affected, but everything. In night-time viewing black has a blue-ish tone and it's not fixable.
The colors are impeccable, using these settings, with lower backlight and higher contrast:
The Panasonic E6 Owners Thread | Page 17 | AVForums
EDIT: Very little bleeding on the left side.
Occasionally banding on Blue colors (not noticeable in normal viewing)
Sound is just ok. If you're watching normal TV in an average room, it's enough.

My biggest gripes are black level and motion resolution.

Bottom line. My Panasonic suffers from motion resolution loss, and I suspect the 42 inch model is the same. From what I've read Sony is a little bit better with motion resolution and black level, while the colors are not so great. (still miles better than Samsung). Between the two selected go with Sony 605, though what I recommend is a Sony 829 for much better motion resolution.

Buy a Sony 829.
That's odd. All the reviews I've read say the panasonic has the best black levels in it's price range and one of the best of any LED TV

vickster

Distinguished Member
SD is never going to good on any hd flat screen. I'd expect some fuzziness or blur, just as a result of the source material. 720p plasma if only watching sd

st60

Novice Member
That's odd. All the reviews I've read say the panasonic has the best black levels in it's price range and one of the best of any LED TV
Yes. I should mention, this was my 1st LED TV. Coming from a good CRT. I wasn't expecting so much light bleeding in dark scenes at night. Even though you can notice the black is black, it glows. It's best seen in this video:

Though on my Panasonic the problem is not that severe and the lightning is uniform across the screen (except a mild 0.5 cm edge in the left side). It's using an IPS so the glow is more pronounced than on a VA.

SD is never going to good on any hd flat screen. I'd expect some fuzziness or blur, just as a result of the source material. 720p plasma if only watching sd
That's actually wrong. I think SD on my set looks great. Digital SD through internal tuner. There's some slight ringing on a few channels but that's about it.

Btw anyone knows how make it set the image Auto - 4:3 for 4:3 sources instead of Auto - Just?

Last edited:

Ossie77

The 32" is the only size in the E6 range which has an IPS panel.

If it was me I'd get the W6. I think it uses a Samsung SPVA panel so colours are very well saturated. I think this is one area where the E6 wasn't so good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom