Panasonic TX-L32E6B or Inferior 37"

markeddy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Needs some advice......

Time to upgrade from our 28" CRT with a viewable screen of 26" (how did they get away with it)?

The wife has conveniently changed the room layout and the TV is now squashed in a corner meaning a 32" would look best or I could squeeze in a 37" at a push.

The question is, do I go for the gorgeous looking Panny TX-L32E6B or do I go for a lesser quality (I assume) 37".

I have a budget of £500 and no care for 3d.

Mostly straight on but otherwise 1 chair at about 45 degrees.

Are the 2012 Pannys a good substitute?

Not seen the E6B, dk

Added a link

I had the E5B 32" for while so I might be able to help.
Picture quality - 8/10 (+ very good contrast, wide viewing angle, rich and warm pic. - colours could be too weak)
Calibration Controls - 6/10 (no back light control so difficult to tailor picture quality)
Design 7/10 - ( wide bezel not great but overall build quality way ahead of other TV's from last year in its category)
Smart feature 7/10 - slick usability but lacking in overall content. No web browser
The thing that made me take it back (apart from the fact it was too small) was its very annoying habit of dimming itself whenever a dark picture was displayed. Apparently this can be fixed by staying exclusively in the 'true cinema' picture preset. This is a darker and warmer preset to say 'cinema' which brightens the picture adding more punch. Without a backlight control to boost true cinema the picture would be the same for everything you watched. It would be like having a car with one gear!
I read that the dimming might be fixable by turning off the 'power save' mode in the eco settings but its not a risk I want to take.
I was basically disappointed in the E5B. Anyway, when I saw the E6B that was it! Love at first sight! Everything that I thought was wrong about the E5 Panasonic seem to have put right in the E6. THey added a backlight control, web browser, updated its homescreen, gave it a beautifully sleek design(I even wanted a silver/grey bezel) and outstanding picture quality. I have seen it put through its paces and it is a gem!
Like you my budget is about £500. I have thought about getting a Samsung ES5500 37" in the sale (£399) but am starting to realise that I would rather spend £600 on a TV that ticks all of the boxes than paying £400 on something that in a year I will probably want to change. Even though the 39E6 is expensive to me it represents good value as I don't plan on buying another TV for at least 5 years. I have therefore tucked away the £400 I would have spent on the Samsung and will wait for the 39E6 to drop in price a bit. By which time I will also have saved more money.
Incidentally, the 39E6 is actually 38.5" so not quite as big as you might think. eg the width of the E6 is 87.9cm compared to 86.2cm for the 37ES5500. Not a vast difference!
I have been absolutely in two minds about this but I am sure in 2-3 years I will be relieved that I spent the little bit extra on the E6.
I even asked the exact question you are making (E5 Vs. E6) on another reputable HD TV website and I was told by the reviewer of the E6 to forget the E5 and save up a bit more money and get the new one.
I hate overspending but I think sometimes a product comes along that justifies breaking the habit of being thrifty Paying an extra £200 isn't a huge amount when its spread out over 5 years.
The 32"E6 by the way looks miniscule because of the thin bezel! It really is diddy and would be best in a kitchen. Great picture though.
Sorry if I have waffled on a bit. I suppose I am trying to urge you to spend a bit more and get the L39E6!!!
ps. I have been looking to buy a TV since my 'join date'...4 months research!!!...and have had an E5, a Samsung Eh5000(occasionaly blur and strange colour of grass watching football, SD hit and miss) I have read every review out there, read the thread here on AVForums for ES5500 owners (artificial colours, blur, ghosting, trailing, blue halo effect) and suspect that the E6 is the answer.

Last edited:
Well I have just purchased the Panasonic TX-L32e6b and I am very happy. Despite the size, it looks fine in my living room and I am totally blown away by the features and screen quality.
It also looks like I can do away with my media player as it looks quite useful on that front.
I picked it up from Richer Sounds today for £469 using the VIP £10 discount voucher. This included the 5 year warranty.

Well I have just purchased the Panasonic TX-L32e6b and I am very happy. Despite the size, it looks fine in my living room and I am totally blown away by the features and screen quality.
It also looks like I can do away with my media player as it looks quite useful on that front.
I picked it up from Richer Sounds today for £469 using the VIP £10 discount voucher. This included the 5 year warranty.

Congratulations! I am just a little bit jealous! There has been a bit of confusion about whether the 32E6 has an IPS or VA panel so when you get a chance could you please confirm which it really has? It would be great to hear what your reaction is to the TV after about a week. Enjoy!

Ossie, how do i check the panel?
Rather ignorant when it comes to TV stuff.

I have done the "touch" test and all i get is a small finger print but no "rippling" like i get on my laptop........... Don't know if that helps.

You need to look through the vents at the back and there should be a sticker with a code on I believe. Also the VA panels have worse viewing angles than IPS but less grey blacks

Last edited:
Anybody know how I turn off the feature that sends my phone output to my Tv.
ie. when my daughter is playing with Youtube on my pone, she sometimes hits the "Tv" icon and I end up with Peppa Pig blaring out of the telly.

NB. I am talking about the Viera TX-L32e6b :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom