Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI Sockets Failed

qazqaz

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic Tx-l32e5b Tv. Recently I purchased a Roku 4K Express streamer to extend the functionality of this tv. This worked well for a number of months. With in the last few weeks i turned on the roku which awoke the tv from standby selecting the rokus tv hdmi input. The roku home screen displayed briefly and then the tv turned off. The tv standby light started flashing. The tv would not turn on again until i power it off and on again. From that point on the hdmi socket used for the roku does not work properly. Any device plugged into it will display its output for a second or two and then the tv shuts down again with the power light flashing as it did originally when the fault occured. To be clear it seems to be the the tv hdmi socket has now failed since ANY DEVICE plugged into it now triggers the shut down of the tv.

once the above occurred i moved the roku to another hdmi socket on the tv. Unfortunately a few days later this socket failed also. I have now stopped using the roku since this seems to be the source of the hdmi failures. I have raised a support call with roku but am not expecting much assistance.

my question is that the hdmi sockets don,t seem to have failed completely because when a device is used in them the output is briefly displayed before the tv shuts down. This seems odd. Any ideas?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Have you tried the most basic thing of all, power-cycling the TV?
Unplug the Roku from the TV and switch off/unplug the TV at the power socket, wait a couple of hours, plug the Roku into the HDMI input but do not switch it on, plug in/switch on the TV at the power socket and switch it out of standby, wait a couple of mins then bring the Roku out of standby.

qazqaz

Novice Member
Hi jaycee,
first of all thank you for your prompt reply. Yes i hjave tried essentially this approach but i probably only left the tv powered off for 30mins or so. I’ll try again but this time leave the tv powered off at the socket overnight. I’ll post back once I have done this.

Also if this does not resolve the situation I’ll raise a support call with Panasonic. My understanding is that the flashing power led is supplying diagnostic information as to the nature of the fault though I have not been able to find a list of these codes currently.

qazqaz

Novice Member
Yes the tv functions correctly in all other aspects other than receiving hdmi input from any device plugged into the two failed hdmi inputs.

qazqaz

Novice Member
Hi jaycee,

i turned off the tv for approx. 6 hours yesterday. I then followed your instructions but instead of using the roku i used by bt youview box. Intially i thought the problem was resolved in that the youview box was able to successfully send a signal to the tv via one of the ”broken” hdmi sockets. However this moring, with the tv on, i powered up the youview box. The tv switched to the correct hdmi input but then the tv failed in the same manner as before. So in summary it looks like the two hdmi sockets have “partially” failed with possibly the trigger for the failure condition being allowing the tv to switch to the input once signalled to do so with the device being powered up. But that powering down the tv for a lengthly period of time resurrects the ports briefly.

I’ll raise a support call with panasonic but i guess the only sensible solution to this is to soldier on with the tv with its two functional hdmi sockets and then replace it at some point. Given the age of the tv i don’t think a repair would to sensible from an economic view point. A new tv of course could be purchased that would have the streaming services that i require so the roku would no longer be required.

Until then my bigger concern is with the roku streamer. Unfortunately I feel I can no longer trust this device not to cause the same problem with the other hdmi sockets on this tv. This is a shame since i was very happy with this device up to now and have been using it with out issue as my preferred streaming device since i purchased it back in mid 2021.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Quality of external devices does vary. There was a thread over on DS discussing a couple of instances where an Amazon Firestick had fried a TV’s HDMI inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom