Panasonic TX-59DX902B & SKY Q UHD 4K - No WOW factor

steve99uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought a TX-58DX902B and just had SKY Q installed. I was watching the football yesterday in UHD and whilst it does look better than in HD it was not the WOW that I was hoping
(expecting) for.
I played around with the settings for the TV but there are so many that I wondered if anyone had any recommended ones that I could use where I will see a big difference.
SKY Q is configured to use 2160P.

Thanks
Steve

I dont think you will ever get the WOW factor with Sky or Cable. I think they use too much compression and low bit rate to get the best out of 4k. If you look at some demos such as the LG chess you will see the WOW factor and what these TV's are capable of. You will also get this from 4k Blu ray discs (not streaming).

So true. There must be quite a few disappointed punters who get their HDR / 4K / 1000 nits sets back home and find that when driven from Sky/Cable/Freesat that the picture is pretty much similar to a good 1080p set. I had the TV sales assistant in John Lewis switch between an HDR demo and a HD Satellite channel... the maked degradation highlights the need for high bitrate properly encoded content.

If I watch one of the 4k HDR clips on YouTube they look fantastic on this TV.
Do you think that the Sky UHD will get better? Is it just sky sports or will all of their UHD content disappoint?
I did think that getting the TV calibrated might help but not so sure now.

If I watch one of the 4k HDR clips on YouTube they look fantastic on this TV.
Do you think that the Sky UHD will get better? Is it just sky sports or will all of their UHD content disappoint?
I did think that getting the TV calibrated might help but not so sure now.

Have you downloaded any 4k HDR Demos? You can get them at Demo UHD-3D - Ultra-HD / 4K / HDR / 3D and get the LG chess and Samsung chasing the colours. Pop it on a usb stick and plug it into your TV. It blows anything Youtube has out the water!

Will do but I didn't buy this tv to watch demos on USB!
Netflix and Amazon UHD content - is that better pq than Sky?

I agree I was merely pointing you in a direction where you can see what this tv is capable of! I don't have Sky Q and only have Virgin Tivo so can't comment on the PQ. I have seen Ridiculous 6 on Amazon Video which was in 4k HDR and it looked Ok, certainly not WOW for the reasons in my first post to you. I have ordered some 4k blu rays and will comment on how that looks as i have bought a Xbox One S!

Thanks. I didn't mean any offence by my response to you. I'm just a little peeved having spent the best part of £2K on a tv to find that one of the main reasons I purchased for isn't delivering.

If you want to make the most out of the TV right now then 4k Blu ray is the way go in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom