Question Panasonic TX-55HZ1000B - Safe to leave on Standby?

andyfr

Two days before Christmas our TX-55CX680B just stopped working, changed the fuse in the plug but still nothing. After a quick call to the local Panasonic shop I went and bought a TX-55HZ1000B. As it all happened was so quickly I didn't have time to do research as I normally would. One thing which the guy in the shop told me was to leave the TV on standby and not to turn it off as it does screen maintenance. I have seen the light turn to amber, and after a few minutes, turn to red, I assume that's it doing the screen maintenance.

As we have normally turned the TV off at the plug overnight for safety reasons we are a bit concerned about the instruction to leave it on standby all the time, is this safe to do?

Also in the past I have checked on the forum for recommended picture settings, are there any for the TX-55HZ1000B?

Thanks for any help.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Two days before Christmas our TX-55CX680B just stopped working, changed the fuse in the plug but still nothing. After a quick call to the local Panasonic shop I went and bought a TX-55HZ1000B. As it all happened was so quickly I didn't have time to do research as I normally would. One thing which the guy in the shop told me was to leave the TV on standby and not to turn it off as it does screen maintenance. I have seen the light turn to amber, and after a few minutes, turn to red, I assume that's it doing the screen maintenance.

As we have normally turned the TV off at the plug overnight for safety reasons we are a bit concerned about the instruction to leave it on standby all the time, is this safe to do?

Also in the past I have checked on the forum for recommended picture settings, are there any for the TX-55HZ1000B?

Thanks for any help.
Its 100% safe to leave in standby , and more importantly the guy in the shop is also very correct , it does run the panel maintenance in standby , so leave it on or you may have issues

andyfr

Thanks for your quick reply.

In the past the fire brigade recommended powering off as there were cases of TVs catching fire, is this no longer a problem with the new ones?

I assume when the light is amber it's doing the screen maintenance and when it goes back to red it has finished, so is it okay to turn it off then?

Wez68

Distinguished Member

In the past the fire brigade recommended powering off as there were cases of TVs catching fire, is this no longer a problem with the new ones?

I assume when the light is amber it's doing the screen maintenance and when it goes back to red it has finished, so is it okay to turn it off then?
I don't own a Panasonic so I,m not familiar with the light sequence , I,ve never seen or heard of anyones tv catching fire on this forum ,and ive been a member since 2004.
If you look at it logically , do you turn off your Fridge/freezer on a night as ive heard more reports of those catching fire in the past

sebna

There is a chance you will be struck by a lightning, there is also a chance that your TV will catch fire there are actually also known, although unexplained, cases of spontaneous self ignition and burning to ashes, so there is also a chance for that ;)

What I am trying to say is that you will be grand :)

Last edited:

CaptainJames

Thanks for any help.

Something my dad used to do with his old black and white CRT back in the 70's ;) . You could watch the white dot disappearing into the centre of the screen. I think it was something to do with the vague possibility that the aerial could be struck by lightening....

Everything is left on standby nowadays, and as above it is required for this TV. I'd recommend you pay a visit to the Panasonic TV forum for more info on settings etc.

mikej

Yes, that's right - an amber LED once the TV is put into standby usually indicates that the regular maintenance cycle is running and it turns to red once complete.

The only caveat to this is that the LED will stay amber permanently if you have certain other network features enabled, in which case it is not as easy to judge when the maintenance cycle has completed although, to be fair, if you did have these network features enabled (eg. smart speaker voice control) then you wouldn't want it turned off at the wall anyway.

For info - the regular maintenance cycle runs if the TV has been on for 4 hours prior to being put into standby and this usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes. The longer cycle runs every 1000 hours and takes around an hour - this longer one is preceded by a warning message which gives you a short time to delay it if it's not convenient. If this starts to run during the day, then you might need to make other family members aware so as not to interrupt it once it starts running.

Panasonic recommend you leave the TV permanently in standby as that's the easiest way to ensure that the maintenance cycles get run as intended. There's no reason you can't turn it off at the rear switch or wall once they are complete if you wanted to, but you would need to take care to ensure that the cycles aren't interrupted.

willz

Is it actually bad to turn the TV off fully? Assuming I run panel refresher weekly?

I'd rather turn my telle off as the sound system is on a different extension lead with a smart plug and the GF doesn't know how to use the smart plug, and it's infuriating when I come in and hear the TV speakers as opposed to the AV system.

CaptainJames

Is it actually bad to turn the TV off fully? Assuming I run panel refresher weekly?

I'd rather turn my telle off as the sound system is on a different extension lead with a smart plug and the GF doesn't know how to use the smart plug, and it's infuriating when I come in and hear the TV speakers as opposed to the AV system.

Get a smart GF ;)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom