Panasonic TX-55EZ952B USB drive compatibility

manonabox

Established Member
Reaction score
Really struggling with finding an external USB drive for my Panasonic TX-55EZ952B.
I was hoping that I could just plug a USB 3.0 120gb sandisk USB stick into the USB 3 port so I could use it for live pausing and a small handful of recordings.
Is there a reason the USB stick wont work. I have so far tried formatting to NTFS, FAT32 and Linus Ext2. I have also deleted the entire partition then reformatted using different sectors per cluster ranging from 8 to 32. Still no luck!
My concern is that I dont want to pay for a usb hard drive by another manufacturer only to be back in the same situation I am now in.
Is there a list of external USB 3 hard drives or thumbdrives that has been tested and proven that they work?
I added a 64gb sandisk USB 3 thumb drive to a Samsung smart TV and it just worked so not sure what the issue is with my nearly top of the range OLED tv from Panasonic.
Thanks for any tips.

I have no idea but I'd definitely send an email to panasonic asking the question.

Is it 110gb ir 110tb that your ytring to use? Have you looked in the manual? May be theres a limit on storage size?

I'm thinking of getting the panny too or possibly a Sony A1. Not sure what to get tbough yet.

Have emailed Panasonic support and will report back what they say.
The drive I was hoping to use was just a 128GB usb 3 Sandisk plugged directly into the TV into USB1 labeled as HDD.
I can view the files on the USB through the devices and play back video, photos and music. I just cant get it to be used as a USB device for recording to, It just wont let me format it. Apparently its incompatible but no further useful information diplayed as to why???

On the whole very pleased with the Panasonic EZ952 though was initially a little concerned by the sucking deep blackness when initially switched on however once I switched to THX settings the picture was perfect and no longer too dark. I too was torn between LG, Panasonic and Sony - all 2017 models. Sony had an excellent picture and sound however the operating system seemed to hang for several seconds when I tested it in the shop (like when you click the mouse button in Windows and nothing happens!). I knew this would irritate me if it happened a lot - and it did in two different shops! It was also too expensive. The LG seemed to have everything and did seem great value for money however I have had a disappointing support history with LG and at this price I didnt want to have worry about it going wrong in any way. The Panasonic operating system was a little annoying at first with its swooping opening circles however it is very simple to use and I set it up in a minimalist way with just TV, Sky, YouTube, Plex and Devices visible with unused apps hidden out of the way. The remote control is also one of the most user friendly ones as well with the added bonus of being back lit. Not so sure I will use the smaller voice activated remote yet. On the whole I am happy that I have made a good choice. This model doesnt yet support HDR10+ though I have read its in the firmware upgrade pipeline.
Just wish I could work out why adding a USB stick for recording is proving to be so complicated!! Maybe it needs a constant external power supply although the USB 1 port does say its 5V.
So stuck for ideas now until Panasonic respond with some advice.

Really struggling with finding an external USB drive for my Panasonic TX-55EZ952B.
I was hoping that I could just plug a USB 3.0 120gb sandisk USB stick into the USB 3 port so I could use it for live pausing and a small handful of recordings.

This TV does not support USB3 on port 3. Only port 1 supports USB3... unless that was actually what you meant by USB'3'.

Ports 2 and 3 are USB2 only.

Last edited:
Do you have a powered USB hub ?

Try plugging the sandisk into that then the hub into the USB port on the TV and see if that makes any progress.

Also check to see what kind of partition type is on the USB drive, modern Windows PC's use GPT type partitions not the older MBR type, it's possible the TV only supports MBR.

(windows administrative tools\computer management\disk management can change that)

Had a reply back from Panasonic. You have to use a USB HDD drive plugged into USB1 (Labelled HDD). The drive has to be a minimum of 160GB to a max of 6TB with an external power source. Memory sticks and thumb drives are not compatible for recording. USB1(HDD) is USB3 speed compatible. The other USB ports are USB2 speed only.

Sadly I have had to return the Panasonic to where I purchased it from. I just couldn’t get on the deep dark blacks. The blacks were too black especially in shady scenes. The grey scales were just not defined enough. Panasonic didn’t want to assist with any recommendations either claiming colour is a very subjective issue.
I agree it is however a little guidance would have been appreciated.
The other thing was the lack of support for anything Dolby. Big mistake in my opinion.

I too have recently bought the FZ952 and have to say am very pleased with it.
Only had it a few weeks so have only just bought a USB hard drive for it.
Despite what Panasonic advise, I have connected a 2TB Maxtor USB3.0 hard drive with NO external power supply and it works perfectly. As Phil said above, it does need to be connected to USB port 1.
Slightly disappointed that Panasonic couldn't have built programme recording into the TV given the cost of it and considering how cheap hard drives/memory is these days.

I have mailed Panasonic as my new 2TB Western Digital Elements SE external hard drive isn't being recognised by the TV, if i plug my 400GB in, it works fine. Will post back their response.

Oh and does anyone know how to update your sig info, the Samsung in my sig is no longer....

I have mailed Panasonic as my new 2TB Western Digital Elements SE external hard drive isn't being recognised by the TV, if i plug my 400GB in, it works fine. Will post back their response.

Oh and does anyone know how to update your sig info, the Samsung in my sig is no longer....
For best results ensure your drive is formatted as FAT32 with only one partition. Unfortunately, a limitation of the FAT32 disk format is a max file size of 4GB. Sadly, I have not been able to read NTFS formatted drives on my Panasonic TV (despite the claims saying this is possible in the Panasonic spec.). Please let us know how you get on...

My 400Gb is formatted NTFS. Even this wouldn't work last night but after unplugging the TV for a minute then reconnecting everything, the 400GB was being 'seen' by the TV

Ended up here because of a USB stick problem of it not being seen by the Panasonic tv.
The solution, which will apply to HDD's as well, is that it MUST be formatted as macabstract recommends. This is easy to forget if you have a MacOS based computer which will guide you into formatting to 'APFS' or 'MacOS extended'. It took me about 3 hours to learn this simple truth!

For information

I have successfully connected a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SATA 6Gb/s SSD to my 50 inch Panasonic TV (model TX-50HX800B).

I fitted the drive in a Sabrent 2.5 inch SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure (available from online retailers for about £9) and connected to USB port 1 which on this model TV is labelled HDD 5V DC 900mA

After following the setup and formatting instructions in the online manual for the TV the SSD appears to be working flawlessly for recording and rewinding live TV.

In contrary to the online instructions the SSD does not require a separate power supply to function. I assume this due to the fact that it is an SSD as opposed to a HDD which has moving parts.

Just thought I'd share my experience

recently bought a panasonic and couldnt get it to recognise a usb stick so i ended up in this thread. it was formatted as exfat so i changed it to ntfs and it works now. just replying so others with the same issue might want to try doing the same.

recently bought a panasonic and couldnt get it to recognise a usb stick so i ended up in this thread. it was formatted as exfat so i changed it to ntfs and it works now. just replying so others with the same issue might want to try doing the same.

And you could record on the USB key, or just play videos from it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom