Question Panasonic TX-55EZ952B (Native Plex App) & Sony STR-DN1050 (Audio)

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by DarkMavies, Jul 16, 2018.

1. DarkMavies

DarkMavies
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Evening Everyone.

Please please please help.

I've purchased a Panasonic OLED 55 inch TV. It's a TX-55EZ952B. I also have a few other bits and pieces. The reason for listing these will become clear.

Sony STR-DN1050
    Apple TV 4 (not 4K).
    Sony PS4

Much to my delight about 3 weeks after purchasing my TV those lovely plex people released a native plex app capable of paying back lovely 4k files natively from the TV.

Now here is what i am trying to achieve. I have my Panasonic TV connected to my AV received by HDMI 2 (ARC). Single HDMI cable between the two. When i play back content that i know has a DTS sound track i cannot get the amp to receive it. It either displays PCM or dolby digital. What i really want is those DTS letter to display. It is a licensing issues with he DTS?

I'm told, and have experienced that the apple TV won't support DTS. If i plug that directly into the AV amp and play back films via the plex app on that that i know has a DTS sound track i get the same. The internet tells me that the Sony STR DN1050 is capable of receiving a DTS sound track.

If i try the PS4 with the plex app with a know DTS soundtrack i get the same. However some of my PS4 games have DTS audio and that works a treat.

I have checked all the setting on the TV to make sure that it isn't influencing it in anyway. My AV has shed loads of setting but the A.F.D auto sound setting says that'll it'll received the best signal coming to it.

What am i missing?

2. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    What you are missing is that the Receiver will show the Sound Format it is playing. So if devices send audio via HDMI as bitstreamed, the Receiver will decode the sound and display the native format it is receiving. However, some devices will decode the sound natively, and then send it to the receiver. The decoded audio is sent as decoded/uncompressed audio (PCM). I think it is unusual for native TV apps to send high-quality audio, some would not even decode multi-channel or lossless HD audio, and are simply sending DD5.1 or stereo PCM out via ARC. If the PCM you are hearing is multi-channel audio, then whether you are getting inferior sound compared to the Receiver decoding the original stream and playing it back is debateable.

3. DarkMavies

DarkMavies
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much for taking the time to reply. To help further here's some examples of what is going on. I have three different set up options that I've tested.

I want to get my receiver to playback DTS essentially via plex. i've done some testing so thought i would document it incase anyone sees this.

Panasonic TV (NATIVE PLEX APP - Single HDMI from TV to RECEIVER - ARC)

Movie 1
    Plex app on the TV playing a movie which has a AC3 5.1 soundtrack.
    My receiver displays "Linear PCM (2.0 48Khz)"

Movie 2 - Jungle Book
    Plex app on the TV playing a movie with a DTS.5.1 soundtrack. My receiver displays "Linear PCM (2.0 48Khz)"

APPLE (HDMI DIRECT TO RECEIVER FROM APPLE TV, then HDMi FROM AMP TO TV)

Movie 1
    Plex app on the Apple TV playing a movie which has a AC3 5.1 soundtrack.
    My receiver displays "Dolby Digital (3/2/1)"

Movie 2
    Plex app on the Apple TV playing a movie with a DTS.5.1 soundtrack. My receiver displays ""Dolby Digital (3/2/1)"

"The Apple TV, for example, supports AC3 but not DTS" - Plex support

PS4 (HDMI DIRECT TO RECEIVER FROM PS4, then HDMi FROM AMP TO TV)

Results are:

Movie 1
    Plex app on the PS4 playing a movie which has a AC3 5.1 soundtrack.
    My receiver displays "Dolby Digital (3/2/1)"

Movie 2
    Plex app on the PS4 playing a movie with a DTS.5.1 soundtrack. My receiver displays ""Dolby Digital (3/2/1)"

From the plex support website, relating to the plex app on PS4.

"Does the app support DTS audio?
    DTS audio is not currently supported directly. Content with DTS audio will have the audio automatically transcoded using the standard DTS core audio track to either AAC (default) or AC3 (if the Dolby Digital (AC3) receiver capability preference is enabled) by the Plex Media Server in order to preserve the surround sound audio channels."

4. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Unfortunately, this just supports what I already said. Either the TV app or the TV itself is decoding the sound and sending 2channel PCM to the receiver.

In the TV menu under sound you can try changing the Hdmi audio format from Auto and toggle between bitstream and PCM and see if this changes what plex app sends to the receiver.

5. DarkMavies

DarkMavies
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Managed to borrow a Amazon Fire Tv 4K and an Apple TV 4K box.

Both should LPCM 3/2.1 for a 5.1 DTs source or for a 7.1 source LPCM4/3.1 which would make sense

I’ve done a side by side listening test to the same sourced DTS file. One being shown as PCM 3/2.1 (Apple TV) and then shown as DTS (playstation). Generally I’m super anal about this so would expect to tell a difference but I can’t...

Therefore

Could someone explain to me in simple terms the difference between DTS and Linera PCM 3/2.1....Technically what is happening?

On a side note when I play plex back on my PS4 to received via HDMI. it’s showing DTS on my receiver...weird.

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    I don't want to come across wrong here, because these forums are for help and advice, but I answered this in the thread you posted in what I hoped was a simplistic way, that you haven't acknowledged, and I also later posted something to try, which you also haven't acknowledged, and another poster in this thread, directed you back to that thread, and also tried to confirm what was going on.

Basically digital sound formats are compressed and proprietary to the method of encoding the sound. To play sound the package (stream or file) containing the sound needs to be decompressed and decoded. To do this you need a hardware chip or piece of software that supports the format natively, or in some cases a chipset or software with limited support can downmix the format to something it can use.

In your case neither the Plex application on the TV or the soundchip in the TV can unpack and decide the DTS format, so it is interpreting it as PCM (uncompressed) stereo. Formats are compressed in the first place, by throwing away digital bits that are deemed inaudible or negligible to the sound quality. In theory therefore decompressing a file does not restore information that wasn't there in the first place. So arguably just because your receiver reports LPCM does not suggest it is inferior to the native format if your Receiver had done the decoding, unless of course it has been down mixed, i.e. Multi-channel DTS to 2-channel stereo.

It is usually better to bitstream audio via Hdmi to a Receiver, and let it handle everything to do with sound, but this requires support in both the TV and the native Plex App on the TV, which someone else suggested is not possible, albeit there is an option to bitstream audio via Hdmi in the TV that I suggested you try.

An I ask you simply reply if you don't understand the above, or which bits, because your questions seem to have already been answered.

7. DarkMavies

DarkMavies
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for taking the time to explain. You sound alittle angry which wasn’t my intention.

I’ve done alittle more research and found the link like the one below which is helpful to me.

How Bitstream Audio is Used in Home Theater

Changing the Tv menu to bitstream doesn’t change things for TV content. I’ll do further testing until it makes sense to me.

Anyway. Appreciate your time. If replying makes you frustrated then it might be wise to give it a miss.

8. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Yes, I found it a little frustrating, but not angry. The simple explanation is that all the other devices you try are probably bitstreaming the native audio from the media to your Receiver. The Receiver displays the native audio format that it is uncompressing and decoding, and this is arguably the best and ideal way things should work.

The good news is the Panny TV also supports bitstreaming out via HDMI/Arc. This means the native audio format is capable of sending the compressed/encoded audio stream straight to your Receiver, but in this case it looks like the Plex app on the TV has limited audio support, unlike the Plex apps on those other devices. So we are assuming it's the App at fault, albeit ARC can be a bit hit and miss and different devices and manufacturers implement things differently.