Panasonic TX-55EZ952B 55" OLED TV. Rectangle box visible on screen

ian2you

Standard Member
Hi. I have noticed recently that a rectangular box shape is appearing on the screen Its about a third of the size of the main screen, located centrally. Its particularly visible when watching football coverage against the green grass background, but it is visible on all screen colours. It appears from both a SKY Q box, or Netflix input, so it seems its the TV at fault rather than the input. Any ideas anyone?

Jase

Distinguished Member
It's a known manufacturing fault with some of the panels made that year and also affects Sony and LG models. Panasonic should replace it under Warranty if you contact them. More info about the cause in the link below.

kevshed

Did you get this sorted , I’ve noticed the same thing on my Panasonic 55 Oled , curious how they handled it ?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Did you get this sorted , I’ve noticed the same thing on my Panasonic 55 Oled , curious how they handled it ?

As it was a manufacturing fault they should either replace the panel or the TV. If none are available they may offer a newer model TV.

kevshed

thx - i'm gonna call today and will see what happens - will post an update for others when i get a conclusion. thx

kevshed

Hi All - thought i'd give an update on this for those who may get some value from understanding the process. So, first call was to richer sounds, who have an automated phone system that eventually connects you directly to Panasonic UK. Had a chat with an advisor, who was fairly helpful, but had the usual scripted support hoops i need to jump through... 1) reset to factory, 2) get some photos of test screens and the device information screen. All of those have been provided, so i'm awaiting a response. I've attached the images in case anyone interested. Will update how they intent to resolve when i hear back :)

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 52
  • yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50
  • red.jpg
    red.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 50
  • magenta.jpg
    magenta.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 45
  • magenta - dead vertical line.jpg
    magenta - dead vertical line.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 41
  • light blue.jpg
    light blue.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 48
  • information screen.jpg
    information screen.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 50
  • green.jpg
    green.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 58

Jase

Distinguished Member
@kevshed

I don't think they've got a leg to stand on as the rectangle is clearly obvious in your pics. Hopefully it'll get sorted quickly.

kevshed

@kevshed

I don't think they've got a leg to stand on as the rectangle is clearly obvious in your pics. Hopefully it'll get sorted quickly.
yeah, totally. Not expecting any pushback, guess curious if they will replace the panel - or provide a new TV... if so, i wonder if they will offer the JZ1500.

Jase

Distinguished Member
yeah, totally. Not expecting any pushback, guess curious if they will replace the panel - or provide a new TV... if so, i wonder if they will offer the JZ1500.
New TV would be nice. Be interesting to see what they do.

Bor de Wolf

Novice Member
Hi All - thought i'd give an update on this for those who may get some value from understanding the process. So, first call was to richer sounds, who have an automated phone system that eventually connects you directly to Panasonic UK. Had a chat with an advisor, who was fairly helpful, but had the usual scripted support hoops i need to jump through... 1) reset to factory, 2) get some photos of test screens and the device information screen. All of those have been provided, so i'm awaiting a response. I've attached the images in case anyone interested. Will update how they intent to resolve when i hear back :)

Hi All, Similar here.

A Panasonic 55ez952b OLED TV bought in November 2017 from John Lewis with Added Care. Suddenly we noted that faces were looking odd last June. Warranty/insurance has been discarded because of poor handling and "burn in". TV is normally not on during the day time - definitively not always tuned to the same channel. Moreover, "burn in" was from the days of CRT TV's where an electron beam was bashing phosphors.

The TV runs on 3 basic colours/colour channels: RGB, or Red Green and Blue.

So I made various basic images using the basic colours and their combinations. Red, Green, Blue, White (Red+Green+Blue), Yellow (Red+Green), Purple (Red+Blue), Cyan (Green+Blue).

Taking a picture of the whole screen (the white/grey boxes below are there to set the same white balance of all pictures). Every picture was taken with a shutter speed of 1/20 s, Aperture of f/4 and an ISO set to 100).

Note that I could not avoid the reflection of a window behind me (visible in some of the images as rectangle, like Blue).

First Red (with the reduced intensity in the middle of the screen):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_01.JPG

Green and Blue (both perfect):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_02.JPG
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_03.JPG

White (the red channel is now 33% of the total, hardly visible):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_04.JPG

Yellow (red is now 50% and the lack of full red shows as greenish in the middle):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_05.JPG

Purple (red is now 50% again and the lack of full red shows as blueish in the middle):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_06.JPG

Cyan (no red, no discolouring):
IMG_Pana_55EZ952b_OLED_07.JPG

John Lewis accused us of "neglect" and refused the claim.

We are not done with them yet.

We'll keep you informed.

Last edited:

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi All, Similar here.

A Panasonic 55ez952b OLED TV bought in November 2017 from John Lewis with Added Care. Suddenly we noted that faces were looking odd last June. Warranty/insurance has been discarded because of poor handling and "burn in". TV is normally not on during the day time - definitively not always tuned to the same channel. Moreover, "burn in" was from the days of CRT TV's where an electron beam was bashing phosphors.

The TV runs on 3 basic colours/colour channels: RGB, or Red Green and Blue.

So I made various basic images using the basic colours and their combinations. Red, Green, Blue, White (Red+Green+Blue), Yellow (Red+Green), Purple (Red+Blue), Cyan (Green+Blue).

Taking a picture of the whole screen (the white/grey boxes below are there to set the same white balance of all pictures). Every picture was taken with a shutter speed of 1/20 s, Aperture of f/4 and an ISO set to 100).

Note that I could not avoid the reflection of a window behind me (visible in some of the images as rectangle, like Blue).

First Red (with the reduced intensity in the middle of the screen):
View attachment 1613071

Green and Blue (both perfect):
View attachment 1613070
View attachment 1613069

White (the red channel is now 33% of the total, hardly visible):
View attachment 1613068

Yellow (red is now 50% and the lack of full red shows as greenish in the middle):
View attachment 1613067

Purple (red is now 50% again and the lack of full red shows as blueish in the middle):
View attachment 1613066

Cyan (no red, no discolouring):
View attachment 1613065

Finally a real world example (sunset behind the city):
View attachment 1613064

Again this is not "burn in" (OLED not a CRT) and ONLY the red channel has issues.

John Lewis accused us of "neglect" and refused the claim.

We are not done with them yet.

We'll keep you informed.
It's well known that Oled's do suffer from burn-in (image retention) Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs
How many hours use has the TV had? and how many pixel compensation cycles has the TV done?

If the ratio of these two is not within certain limits most to all manufacturers will say the TV has suffered damage from failure to carry out essential maintenance. Perhaps that is what the JL "neglect" comment is referring to?

Bor de Wolf

Novice Member
It's well known that Oled's do suffer from burn-in (image retention) Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs
How many hours use has the TV had? and how many pixel compensation cycles has the TV done?

If the ratio of these two is not within certain limits most to all manufacturers will say the TV has suffered damage from failure to carry out essential maintenance. Perhaps that is what the JL "neglect" comment is referring to?

A guy came in. He did not pulled any data from the TV (only took some pictures). So how would he know?

How do I know the amount of pixel compensation cycles? I noticed the information screen above.

Did JL tell me to do so? Nope...

kevshed

Update from my side... Panasonic referred me to their repair agent in the UK, ICTV Sales and service.. i spoke them and the guy immediately said 'that will need a new panel'. So i've now mailed him the details/photos and wait a reply. They had better not try and pull the screen burn nonsense i'll be fuming.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Update from my side... Panasonic referred me to their repair agent in the UK, ICTV Sales and service.. i spoke them and the guy immediately said 'that will need a new panel'. So i've now mailed him the details/photos and wait a reply. They had better not try and pull the screen burn nonsense i'll be fuming.

Yours isn't screenburn, it's a manufacturing fault that affected a batch of 2017 panels that weren't left to cool down properly before they were factory calibrated. The rectangle is the pattern used to calibrate the panel.

If they argue it, point them in the direction of the thread linked in the posts above. Wasn't just Panasonic affected as it's happened on Sony and LG panels as well.

Bor de Wolf

Novice Member
Just found this:

An 'automatic' pixel refresh runs when the TV is turned off after four hours of cumulative usage. This requires the power to be connected, and LG has told us that this takes between 7 and 10 minutes to complete.

My partner has the habit to switch the TV off at the back when we go to bed.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
A guy came in. He did not pulled any data from the TV (only took some pictures). So how would he know?

How do I know the amount of pixel compensation cycles? I noticed the information screen above.
Depends if he took photos of the screens showing hours of use and comp cycles.
Did JL tell me to do so? Nope...
The Panasonic owner/user manual for your TV tells you to do so.
Please carefully read the “Safety Precautions” of this manual before use
Be sure to turn the TV off with the remote control to perform the panel maintenance. During the panel maintenance, LED turns to orange. (p. 18) The maintenance works as necessary.

LED turns to orange
● Panel maintenance may be in progress.
LED turns to orange again in standby mode when the TV is turned on / off before the panel maintenance is completed. (Be sure to turn the TV off with the remote control to perform panel maintenance.)

Just found this:

An 'automatic' pixel refresh runs when the TV is turned off after four hours of cumulative usage. This requires the power to be connected, and LG has told us that this takes between 7 and 10 minutes to complete.

My partner has the habit to switch the TV off at the back when we go to bed.
If that is immediately after you've switched it off with the remote you're probably going to be out of luck with the warranty. I'm guessing the JL comment of "neglect" is due to the ratio between hours use and comp cycles done being well over the permitted amount. But they should have told you this if that was the reason for the comment.

Bor de Wolf

Novice Member
Depends if he took photos of the screens showing hours of use and comp cycles.

The Panasonic owner/user manual for your TV tells you to do so.
Please carefully read the “Safety Precautions” of this manual before use
Be sure to turn the TV off with the remote control to perform the panel maintenance. During the panel maintenance, LED turns to orange. (p. 18) The maintenance works as necessary.

LED turns to orange
● Panel maintenance may be in progress.
LED turns to orange again in standby mode when the TV is turned on / off before the panel maintenance is completed. (Be sure to turn the TV off with the remote control to perform panel maintenance.)

Thank you very much for your reply!

Nope he didn't look at, nor took a picture, of this information screen (found it now).

Cannot say that I ever saw a manual (printed, on paper that is). New cameras, phones, laptops don't come with manuals either these days. There is this eHelp on the TV. The Panel Maintenance Message was always on (never changed). Never saw any message either.

kevshed

quick update. Looks like I'm getting a visit on Monday to replace my panel.. assuming this goes to plan, overall I'd say I'm satisfied with the response - it took a couple of weeks to get the replacement panel and maybe a week of investigation so overall. I certainly wasn't messed about at all - so positive support from Panasonic. Will confirm on Monday :)

kevshed

hmm... ok - so less impressed today. Guy turns up with a replacement screen only to tell me that its 'too big a job' to do... apparently will take an hour? So needs to be rescheduled to go to the workshop - which makes no sense, as its more than that in travel time alone. Did offer to take it now, but i'd be dead if I was TV less over Christmas. So -I'm encouraged that its getting fixed, but really annoyed that they weren't willing to spend the time on site... excuses like 'it needs firmware update'... i'm an electronic engineer, so can smell BS when i see it. Now at some point, I'll be without a telly in my lounge while it gets done. Now that he's gone, i wish I'd pushed harder tbh... i let them get away with that. GRRRRR

Jase

Distinguished Member
Too big a job? Hmm...:facepalm:

When I had the screen replaced on my LG E7 the engineer arrived with his own table/stand to work on. He took my TV off it's mount, placed it on the table, removed the electronics section, swapped the panels over, put it back on the mount and made sure it worked and was on the latest firmware.

The most time consuming bit was waiting for the firmware to download as we were on a crappy 2mb connection at the time. Took him about 45 mins in total.

kevshed

Too big a job? Hmm...:facepalm:

When I had the screen replaced on my LG E7 the engineer arrived with his own table/stand to work on. He took my TV off it's mount, placed it on the table, removed the electronics section, swapped the panels over, put it back on the mount and made sure it worked and was on the latest firmware.

The most time consuming bit was waiting for the firmware to download as we were on a crappy 2mb connection at the time. Took him about 45 mins in total.
yeah... hence why i'm annoyed at myself for not pushing, i could have done it myself if he left the screen here... it seemed like he had some missing parts at first, which i why accepted it (Cables) - only after reloading the van, i realised it was purely a time thing. my own bad, i've got the birch branches out and started lashing myself.

Jase

Distinguished Member
yeah... hence why i'm annoyed at myself for not pushing, i could have done it myself if he left the screen here... it seemed like he had some missing parts at first, which i why accepted it (Cables) - only after reloading the van, i realised it was purely a time thing. my own bad, i've got the birch branches out and started lashing myself.

I was surprised how easy the TV came apart so an engineer would easily have no problem. Perhaps he wasn't too confident so it may have been a blessing in disguise and the next engineer will sort it out properly.

kevshed

Hi all, just thought I’d update this with a conclusion .

Today I got my TV back finally - it was away for just over a couple of weeks to get the panel replaced - I’m told it now it now has a later generation panel and should be good to go,

Whilst it took longer than I would have hoped , I can’t complain at the end result and am a happy man again. Good job Panasonic and ICTV.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen