Panasonic TX-50CX802B (CX800) 4K TV Review

Interesting comment from AVS

Based on the sole UK review the VA panel gives a contrast ratio of 6,200:1, deep blacks and slightly better viewing angles than Samsung - none of which was seemingly evident at this show. Based on that review it is pretty much up with the Samsung SUHD range so you would have to figure that Panasonic are not using that VA panel in North America or they have got something seriously wrong.

Perhaps the reviewer could shed some light on the panel used in NA?

We don't know what panel the equivalent model to the CX802 is using in the US. We only know that in the UK it is a VA panel, but that doesn't mean it is the same panel in the US. I know that in some EU countries there was talk of some having IPS panels instead for that model, according to the product manager at the convention at the start of the year. (It's why we don't get the CX750 range in the UK as they are IPS only).

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.....

Maybe that's why they have completely different model numbers in the US?

Let's not forget that LG, Samsung, and Sony have like over 100+ ms of input lag to achieve those image quality. And I still don't understand why we don't have a gamer tv round up. We need a test to see which has the best input lag to image quality ratio.

this is getting slammed on the avsforums which is odd as it was favourably reviewed here.

I don't trust the setup, source feed or calibration of the shoutout, I will wait until there are reviews from AV forums members who have a set in their home... Oh, I can also trust my own eyes, if I like it don't care about what anyone else says... I'm not going to look elsewhere just yet :) Keep the faith...

I Find that shoot test incomplete, there was no testing of up-scaling form low resulotion SD upwards and also broadcast and DVD/BR content. I found according to my tests the LG 4k OLED has very poor upsacling of any SD material which most of us have recordings off like old movies etc and compressed file fomats of films. If a tv can upscale well anything you throw at it , that's a real big bonus to anyone.

I would be interested to know from anyone how well the cx802 up-scales SD content and how it compares with sony xbr930 and Samsung js9000

Great questions. We need more 65" panels in home and review labs. The shootout was a huge letdown as a prospective buyer, but I won't write the set off just yet based on the smaller set reviews and early hands on impressions since CES. The 800 (or na 850) Didnt hold up well against the flagships of the other major players. Whether it's a bad panel, calibration, backlight issue, or just a disappointing set performance wise....is yet to be fully seen

As said, I'm going to be calibrating one this week for a dealer. The dealer also has last years 902 and has all the new Sonys on. All will be set up and calibrated properly to be viewed and compared properly by any prospective buyer.

So if you really want to see the proper performance, compare for yourself properly and make an informed purchasing decision this is one dealer where you will be able to see this.
TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd

As said, I'm going to be calibrating one this week for a dealer. The dealer also has last years 902 and has all the new Sonys on. All will be set up and calibrated properly to be viewed and compared properly by any prospective buyer.

So if you really want to see the proper performance, compare for yourself properly and make an informed purchasing decision this is one dealer where you will be able to see this.

Never heard of these guys before until now. Shame they're all the way in Manchester (correct me if I'm wrong?), they look like they know their stuff. Will have to pop down if I'm ever in the area.

Do let me know what the AX902 is like and how it compares to this years CX802

To be honest, they are testing the Panasonic TV against much more expensive TV´s. The upcoming CX902 perhabs would have been more relevant.

And another thing, I did notice that videos from the shoot-out was made in a very dark room, and the black level quoted in the review here at AVFORUMS (a I read the review) as made in a normal evening lit room.

I am rather confident, that the Panasonic CX802 series still will turn up to be a terrific TV for every day use,

Good points John. :smashin:

The avforum review showed very dark blacks at .02, and a very high contrast picture (6k:1) for an lcd. That should have put the Panasonic on more than even terms with the Sony and Samsung in the shootout and yet it floundered. Either FW needed updating, the panel was bad, the calibration/backlight setting was off, or the set is a true dark room disappointment. Hope to get some In depth reviews on the 65" version in the coming weeks.

James - we still have the issue that the panels may well be different.

Well, these TVs should be appearing next week... I really hope it's as good as the review on here suggested. No reason to think otherwise as on the video posted on here looked pretty good v the shootout feed.

Do you know of a similar one below the South of Birmingham?

Do you know of a similar one below the South of Birmingham?

Hi. There may be dealers down south that are similar but I'm not aware of them.

There are very few AV dealers around who will set their TVs up properly. Most stick them in shop mode on the vivid or dynamic setting to counter bright lightning.

This dealer has the signals and outputs going through every TV so you can see broadcast, blu ray, 3D and have Xbox and playstation going through every TV so you everything that the "normal" customer and videophiles can really compare what matters to them the individual.

You can try ringing around to see if there is one. If not then if it's really important to you to be able to compare the way you want to then it may well be worth making the trip up north as there are many things they provide including their own 3D glasses which are superb, they have their own high quality range of hdmi cables and many other things all designed to help you make an informed purchasing decision as well as good old fashioned personal customer service.

Like you I wish there were more around like them.

Does anyone know the nit levels this set is expected to achieve as I have read that levels of around 1000 are expected for good hdr displays, except for dolby visions version which I believe needs 6000.
This set is very tempting but would hate to buy a set which is going to be outdated by next years sets with better nit levels.

Does anyone know the nit levels this set is expected to achieve as I have read that levels of around 1000 are expected for good hdr displays, except for dolby visions version which I believe needs 6000.
This set is very tempting but would hate to buy a set which is going to be outdated by next years sets with better nit levels.

The review says "really good blacks"" excellent contrast " so why only a 8 out of ten rating?

Not worth the extra £700 compared to the TX-50CX700B which also has 10ms less input lag.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom