Panasonic TX-43GX555B Black Screen Intermittent fault

JohnWP

Novice Member
Don’t quite know the right technical questions to ask. Have an ongoing problem with Panasonic and their approved TV repairer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The TV developed a black screen – no display but sound retained.

Followed the advice on this forum and on internet videos and managed to get the picture back. After a few days it reverted to black screen and again it could be fixed but the problem occurred again and it wasn’t possible to get the picture back.

Long story but Panasonic got their approved repairer to look at it, they returned the TV after a few days and said there was no fault and the screen worked.

The difference was that prior to this when the TV was turned on it went to a channel directly, now it went on to the setting options. After 24 hours the black screen problem returned and was not able to turn it back on.

Found some more help on line but no luck. After several days reconnected the TV to the mains and it worked. Few days after it didn’t work, left it disconnected, went through the advice previously, after several attempts the TV came on with the setting options first rather than the channel. Same problem occurred again and the same fix worked after a few days.

The TV repairer position is that if the set works when it with them, they don’t fix anything and they return it. My suspicion is that they know the same fix as me and the problem is not resolved.

My non-technical questions!!

Do Smart TV’s have a software function that communicates with the hardware and is it an IT communication issue that may be ongoing?

The Panasonic TV is a Vestel made in Turkey, the TV repair people have said the green flashing lights on these are not the same as the green light help guide on the Panasonic help forums. When the TV works and is turned on the green flashing lights occur but with different numbers of flashes each time until if fails. When it is broke and we try and get it restarted the green lights flash again by different amounts each time until it works again.

We’ve now realised the different flashing amounts have a sequence and we effectively can count down until it fails and again until we can get it working again. Rinse, wash, repeat!! Does this mean anything to anyone so I can explain it to Panasonic?

Lastly, when we have a power cut some appliances after a while lose their settings, for example our digital alarm clock, but if the power is off only for a small time the settings are retained. I’ve no idea what this is called but is there something similar for Smart TVs? The TV is on black screen it only works after a few days, not immediately and the power has been disconnected. When it is working and the TV turns on it goes to a channel. When it doesn’t work it takes a few days before it can be fixed and the TV setting page appears first rather than a channel, which has the impression of resetting- similar to my digital alarm. Can this be explained technically and is it a reasonable assumption?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Your TV quite clearly has a fault.
After power is connected and the set is switched on it should either go straight to the channel it was last tuned to or an AV input if that was the last thing viewed..It should not go to the setup screen.
Does it state “Poor signal” on screen at switch on?
How old is it/how long have you had it?
You must tell the repair company the fault is intermittent so that they can run it on a soak test and keep it as long as necessary until they see the symptoms.

JohnWP

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.
Apologies, it is not the setup screen it is the Settings Icon and all the Apps page that appears when the TV is turned on. There is no poor signal, we live a few miles from a TV mast!
The TV is only 5 months old , hence the involvement of Panasonic and their authorised repairer. The repairer has already charged an inspection fee and now Panasonic now want the TV to go back to them again, which we are currently reluctant to do on these terms.
Does a Soak Test involve leaving it on each day, if so we think they did that for a few days and decided it was working but it came back showing the Settings Icon page, which is the same as we can do by using the help on the Forum and other on-line videos. Hope that clarifies some more.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, a soak text is just that, they switch it on in the morning when they go into their workshop and leave it running all day occasionally checking to see if the symptoms appear.
The blank screen/no display is the symptoms they should be looking for...but, as said, tell them the fault is intermittent. You need to be prepared to let them keep it until they see the fault, then repair it.

wymsell

Novice Member
Don’t quite know the right technical questions to ask. Have an ongoing problem with Panasonic and their approved TV repairer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The TV developed a black screen – no display but sound retained.

Followed the advice on this forum and on internet videos and managed to get the picture back. After a few days it reverted to black screen and again it could be fixed but the problem occurred again and it wasn’t possible to get the picture back.

Long story but Panasonic got their approved repairer to look at it, they returned the TV after a few days and said there was no fault and the screen worked.

The difference was that prior to this when the TV was turned on it went to a channel directly, now it went on to the setting options. After 24 hours the black screen problem returned and was not able to turn it back on.

Found some more help on line but no luck. After several days reconnected the TV to the mains and it worked. Few days after it didn’t work, left it disconnected, went through the advice previously, after several attempts the TV came on with the setting options first rather than the channel. Same problem occurred again and the same fix worked after a few days.

The TV repairer position is that if the set works when it with them, they don’t fix anything and they return it. My suspicion is that they know the same fix as me and the problem is not resolved.

My non-technical questions!!

Do Smart TV’s have a software function that communicates with the hardware and is it an IT communication issue that may be ongoing?

The Panasonic TV is a Vestel made in Turkey, the TV repair people have said the green flashing lights on these are not the same as the green light help guide on the Panasonic help forums. When the TV works and is turned on the green flashing lights occur but with different numbers of flashes each time until if fails. When it is broke and we try and get it restarted the green lights flash again by different amounts each time until it works again.

We’ve now realised the different flashing amounts have a sequence and we effectively can count down until it fails and again until we can get it working again. Rinse, wash, repeat!! Does this mean anything to anyone so I can explain it to Panasonic?

Lastly, when we have a power cut some appliances after a while lose their settings, for example our digital alarm clock, but if the power is off only for a small time the settings are retained. I’ve no idea what this is called but is there something similar for Smart TVs? The TV is on black screen it only works after a few days, not immediately and the power has been disconnected. When it is working and the TV turns on it goes to a channel. When it doesn’t work it takes a few days before it can be fixed and the TV setting page appears first rather than a channel, which has the impression of resetting- similar to my digital alarm. Can this be explained technically and is it a reasonable assumption?
Hi, I have the same issue, exact same tv, purchased from curry’s Sept 2019, screen went black yesterday! How did you fix it?? Thanks Simon

JohnWP

Novice Member
The simple answer is that we returned it to Currys, they found the screen was faulty, replaced it and 72 hours later returned the TV. It has worked fine since.

Do not use the Panasonic approved repairer. They want your credit card details, if they find no fault they take £40 for their time. The approved repairer will say it is fixed, then take the £40, as they did with us, and they say they found no fault. Don't waste your time arguing with them or Panasonic.

We had to use Panasonic as the fault occurred at the start of lock-down and Currys weren't undertaking repairs then.

qbertram

Novice Member
Panasonic smart TV screen problem: Screen black but green light flashing then solid – Here’s how I got the picture back on my TX-L32E3B (but it might work for others):
This is a fix the engineers use, as quoted in their Service Manual:
1 Turn on the TV at the set.
2 While the green light is flashing, press and hold (-/v) button on the TV itself, and press 0 (zero not the letter o) on the remote control 3 times quickly within 2 seconds.
3 This should start the screen and sound, so before it goes off again go to System and update your channels.
This worked for me!

Mojoflowjo

Novice Member
qbertram, thank you. Just tried on my Panasonic TX-L32C3B and worked! Just saved me buying a new tv.

BriWinter2901

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic TX-43GX550B. Purchased October 2019. I have also had a problem of the set coming on in sound only. I have found work around, such as ensuring when I go to standby the set is on one of the HDMI inputs. But it is really annoying. It also has other issues too. Losing all Freeview radio channels, and the sound on the HD TV channels. Hoping to get some advice before trying to contact Panasonic.

mrtoad1

Novice Member
Hi, I have the same issue, exact same tv, purchased from curry’s Sept 2019, screen went black yesterday! How did you fix it?? Thanks Simon
Was this ever answered?! I have just had the exact same issue with this model. Purchased from PC World in Oct 2019. Very frustrating!

Deb28

Novice Member
Hi I also have a problem with my Panasonic TV, sound but no picture. TX-49FX555B purchased 9th November 2019 so unfortunately out of warranty.
I have tried the usual that I found online turning it off and pressing the power button and the 1st two times it came back on, unfortunately the 3rd time it hasn't and been without TV for almost a week.
I rang around a few places for quotes and eventually a company said a free callout and estimate.. when they came out I didn't know what to do or say when he said backlight or something to do with that needs replacing costing £135 so I told him to take it and do it. However, I've got a feeling it shouldn't be that expensive but obviously I don't know. He only plugged it in and saw there was no picture only sound and said that and because I was alone and unsure what to do I said yes even though it's very expensive. I'm on here basically looking for answers. Sometimes being a single woman I think repair people might say whatever they want. Just wanting advice, even though it's too late now. I'm very stressed and upset about all this to be honest. Many thanks in advance.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Phone him and ask what's wrong with it, what he's going to do and ask for a price breakdown.

mikej

Hi I feel like such a fool and was desperate.
You shouldn't feel like a fool - it's a tricky situation for most people. I've never had a TV repaired, but I would imagine that LCD backlight repairs aren't especially easy and DIY repairs would be potentially hazardous. If you wanted to know a bit more about what is involved in backlight repair, then here is some basic information on the different methods used. Whether you're getting good value for money depends, to a certain extent, on which method he'll be using.

If he's replacing all the LED backlights strips (Method 1), then a quick google search reveals that a full set of used and tested LED backlight strips for your TV costs around £50 on eBay. If he's coming to your house, taking the TV away, replacing all the strips and returning it in a fully working condition for £135 then it's hard to see you getting that kind of service much cheaper, to be honest.

The other options are less desirable and not quite as thorough, but still fairly common by the sounds of it. If individual LEDs are being replaced, then a good proportion of the cost of the job will be paying for their labour, skills and expertise.

If you wanted some peace of mind, it would be worth doing what JayCee suggested - phone, check the quote is still accurate and ask exactly what he's going to do. If he's replacing all the LED strips (Repair Method 1 from that link), then that would be the best option and represent the best value for money but I also wouldn't be too surprised if that isn't the case. I would also check how long the work is warrantied for.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom