Panasonic TX 42AS600B - Dreaded Red Light Flashing

Burakiosaurus

Hi All,

I've had the Panasonic TX 42AS600B for about 6-7 years now and a few days it happened. The dreaded turning off, following the Red blinking light by the power button every 1-2 seconds.

It will blink about 10-11 times.

I have tried the classic, remove all cables, leave unplugged for various amounts of time (longest was 1 hour), plugged into different power outlets and each time the same thing happens. TV will turn on with a green light, the screen will flicker on and off a few times, then go totally black, followed by the blinking red lights of doom.

Google seems to think it needs a repair. I have no skills in that department and am thinking, is it time to invest in a newer 55" set to wall mount?

mikej

The diagrams below are from the service manual for your TV. If it's 9 or 13 blinks, then the fault could lie with the 'A board' which is the one that houses the tuners, AV terminals and memory.

If Panasonic no longer supply new spares for your TV (likely at 6-7 years I would have thought), then your options are to try and get hold of a second-hand / reconditioned part or, if the fault is a common one and replacement components/kits are available, get someone to repair the board for you.

Either way, I guess you have to weigh up the cost and hassle against the price you paid and the age of the TV before you can decide if it's worth repairing. 6-7 years is not a bad lifespan for a TV these days - many don't last that long, although some do last a lot longer. Your desire to use this as the perfect excuse to upgrade is also an important consideration, of course ! ;)

There are currently 'tested and working' A-boards for your TV on eBay from as little as £20, but you should only ever take the back off your TV and attempt a DIY repair if you are fully competent with working with electronics and aware of the dangers. If you're not, then get a professional to do the work for you.

42AS600B LED timing chart.JPG

42AS600B chasis.JPG

mikej

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom