1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-32PM11 - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by raz98, Jul 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. raz98

raz98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Can you please give me some opinions about the 32PM11 TV ? I know it doesn't have lot's of options but I'm more interested in image quality.

Also how can it handle an 4:3 image ? can you zoom the image to fit the entire screen or can you scale it's witdh ?

Can for example do both things, scale it a little and zoom a little in the same time ? So you don't have to much distortion (of course by loosing a little from the top and bottom image)

thanks

2. pxmm

pxmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The PM12 series (which is, according to Panasonic, only cosmetically different to the PM11 series) has good image quality in my opinion. The 100 Hz processing is free of smear and the line flicker reduction option almost completely eliminates flicker. One minor gripe is some minor feathering can be seen on horizontally scrolling, quick-moving, text. Being one of Panasonic's cheaper models it naturally doesn't produce an outstanding image as more expensive TVs.

I tend to watch a lot more Digital Terrestrial TV more than DVDs so I don't miss component inputs. As I have seen with a lot of newer TVs, the often sub-par quality of Digital TV broadcasts can be noticeable at times but the DVD picture, though non-component interlaced is great with a well-encoded DVD.

Another factor in my choice of this TV was the lack of SVM (see here).

The zoom modes include an auto feature, which combines various stretches and zooms to fill the screen with whatever aspect ratio the source material is, often changing multiple times through a program. There's standard 16:9 widescreen and 4:3 (which will switch to 16:9 automatically when connected to compatible equipment with a SCART lead), 14:9 and 3 levels of zoom. Zoom1 will fill the screen with a 4:3 image, Zoom2 zooms a little more and Zoom3 will fill the screen from 21:9 (cinema style) images. To be honest I only ever use 4:3 mode and let the TV switch to 16:9 when my Digital box or DVD recorder tells it to. These aspect modes pretty much cover every screen mode one might need but there's no manual zoom/stretch combination control unfortunately.

Hope this helps,

Steve

3. raz98

raz98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Steve

One question though: for example you say you let the tv at 4:3 mode so this means that you get 2 black bars in left-right areas of the screen? I heard somthing that leting a long time this black bars (while watching 4:3 on a wide tv) will damage the tube ?

4. pxmm

pxmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Yes in 4:3 mode you'll get the 2 black bars on the left and right of the screen so it all it fits the TV without distorting the picture.

I'm not expert on screen burn but I don't think more modern CRTs are affected too much by it. Here is an answer I found elsewhere. If you're watching plenty of widescreen TV broadcasts (of which the number is increasing all the time) or DVDs then I wouldn't worry; I certainly don't. The only thing I worry that could burn the screen is TV channel logos :) I suppose it's just a necessary evil until the broadcasters can manage to output everything in widescreen.

Steve