1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-32PD50 DVD aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jeremyr62, Sep 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jeremyr62

jeremyr62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PD50 and when playing a 16:9 WS DVD I have noted that the picture is cropped at the sides (and maybe the top as well). I know this because if I pause the DVD and use the zoom feature on the DVD player I can make the image much smaller than the screen and I can then see the edges of the DVD picture.

I dont mind black bars top or bottom but it seems daft having to have them horizontal and vertical to see all the picture on the DVD. Is this adjustable in any way or do I have to put up with it. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me the terminology for this as well. Is it the mask?
    Regards

2. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    If it's anything like the 36PL32 you'll be able to adjust the horizontal amplitude and positioning in the service menu, although I found that geometry problems worsened the closer to the actual image edge I got! It's a bit of a compromise I suppose!

3. jeremyr62

jeremyr62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have discovered that the terminology is overscan and it can indeed be adjusted in the service menu. I'll give it a go.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I found on my set that overscan and vertical positioning was not to good. Compensating for some geometry problems at the right edge.
    I was looking at something like 6 or 7% overscan to the right of the screen :eek:

After much malarcky playing around I now how a reasonable 3.5 to 4% overscan vertically and next to nowt horizontally (1% or so).

A piece of advice is to adjust in 14:9 mode otherwise the chances of getting a better result are very slim since it affects 4:3 overscan and 14:9 geometry quite badly.