1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-32PD30

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dave0, May 11, 2004.

1. dave0

dave0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know about the sticky thread with all the problems up there at the top of this forum and I have read (almost) all of it.

I had *almost* decided on the Sony KV32FQ70 after reading about all the problems with the PD30 above but then I just bought the WHAT HI*FI Ultimate Guide to Televisions 2004 from the newsagents and it had absolutely flawless reviews for this TV (and the 36" model as well) listing its bad points as "Err... nope, you got us"

I saw one in the local Panasonic shop as well this weekend and the picture quality really was amazing and truth be told I would really prefer that TV (the rest of the kit I am thinking of buying is also Panasonic so it would save on remotes for a start :D)

So, did WHAT HI*FI get a good one? does anyone know what kind of percentage of these sets are faulty? I am so unsure now I have read this glowing review

Sorry if this should have gone in the sticky thread, I posted it here because its not really about the faults on the PD30 but on a choice between the Sony and the Panasonic

Thanks in advance for any help
    Dave

2. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was in the same dilemma mode as you !What swung me onto the pd30 is that my father-in-law has the sony and I watched it many times and in my opinion the panny is far superior!I'm not saying its perfect,I'm forever fiddling with the pic settings and scan modes.Dvd pic is really good(and im only using a cheap sony player).Sky can be a bit "smeary" at times but it seems to depend on the channels,movies seem to be the best.I think the pd30 is a lovely looking tv too-its not as bulky as the sony.This is my personal opinion only and maybe my father-in-laws sony is a bad one!Good luck in your choice!
    Steve

3. zephyr34

zephyr34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was in the same dilemma.
    I recently had major issues with the Toshiba 32ZP38 in that it had appalling dirty screen effects and the geometry was absolutely dire. After getting a replacement set that was worst than the first one I finally got a full refund and decided to take a look at some other 32 inch TVs, including the usual Philips models and of course the the PD30.

I went with the PD30 and got it on Saturday...

I have read all the posts on the problems people have had with their PD30 and I also subscribe to What Hifi...

Anyway, all I can say is, so far I've had none of the problems I've read about in the sticky thread and quite frankly this TV has the best picture I've ever seen on any TV. The quality of image from Sky is great, and dvd through component is absolutely stunning and almost 3D...incredible picture.
    As for the sound I couldn't tell you as I dont use the TV's sound...

I don't know if early batch numbers has anything to do with the problems others have experienced, mine begins 4220...

From my experience, I couldn't recommend this TV highly enough...

4. dave0

dave0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the other issue is that the Sony KV32FQ70 is £350 cheaper than the Panasonic

Is there £350 worth of better picture in the PD30 (if you get a good one of course!). I have seen the PD30 in the flesh but not the FQ70... Anyone seen both side by side or close together?

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    There's no doubt that if you get a good one, the Panny PD series (32 or 36) is hard to beat.

That's why it is so important to buy from a dealer with a good returns policy.

You'll see from this forum that John Lewis gets high praise for this.

When considering price, don't forget the JL "free" 5 year guarantee.

Good luck.

6. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Just read all your comments and some on other posts. Being as the sticky for faults has dried up now I'm finally taking the plunge and have just ordered my 32PD30.

I remember seeing this set first last year in a Shop@Panasonic outlet at £1,500. The reviews then were excellent so to get one now for only £1,000 seems a pretty good buy to me. I guess by summer they will have slipped another £100 or so ?

In terms of pure picture quality surely it must be reaching the point where further advances on a 32" screen are going to be minimal with only additional features like twin tuner, IDTV,HDD etc keeping the market going.

My strategy is to get 5/6 years out of it as a main machine then see what the slim screen market is and relegate the CRT to a second room making space for the 42******** and hopefully £1,000 price point again.

Any thoughts from anybody ?

7. zephyr34

zephyr34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got the same idea as me.
    Give it 3 or 4 years and LCD or plasma, whichever develops better, probably LCD, may be able to produce an image as good as my PD30.
    At which time I'll buy one. But I'm certainly not forking out £3000-£4000 for a TV that can't match my PD30 for picture quality and will be obselete in terms of the picture in no time.
    Besides, I've just spent a load on a new car!

Anyway, all I can say is I hope you get a PD30 as good as mine, because I still stare at the picture in awe...it is incredible...

8. dave0

dave0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered my 32PD30 :) I decided to take your advice and go for John Lewis and managed to get them to price match £996 (£303 saving) and include their 5 year guarantee..

Pretty good deal i think... Lets hope I get a good one

Thanks again for all the advice

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    DaveO,

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your purchase.

If my calculation is correct, that works out at around 50p per day for 5 year's viewing with peace of mind.

Must be a bargain!

10. grey8uk

grey8uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, hope you don't mind I'm posting my first thread (if that's what you call them) = I'm new to this, don't know much about it all, so forgive me if I cover ground that has already been covered. I've had my 32PD30 for about 2 months and really since day one I've noticed a very slight (but annoying) coloured band starting in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and spreading inwards to differing degrees. It varies in colour; green, red, sometimes blue or white (oh heck I could go on for hours). It only appears when I'm watching sky digital or DVD's, but draws the eyeline down to it every-single-time. It can come and go when I swtich from av back to normal TV - TV/AV, well I suppos you'll all know the thing. Reading some of the previous threads, I suspect the same problem has been mentioned a few times, but it's hard to know exactly. I admit that at the moment I am probably using the cheapest scart leads known to man, so would probably be advised to spend a few more quid on 'locking' 'fully wired' ones. err.....can anyone offer some tips or such. Thanks. Otherwise, best TV I've ever had (despite the wee annoyances).

11. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Grey8UK,

Welcome to the Forum.

I joined 3 months ago and it's already been a big help and saved me lots of money!

If you look at the top of this section, there's a special place for Panny PD30 problems.

Have a read through there (Beware: it's very off putting!) and see if your query has been answered.

If not, post again in that section and I'm sure one of the experts will advise.

Best wishes.

12. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveO

Where was your 995 price from ( Can't remember the right price as I switched to reply before writing it down ) ?

I'm getting mine for £1,029. I know it's not a lot of money but I could get 2 new DVDs in addition ( Chosen by my good lady as a peace offering, she still can't see whats wrong with our 8 year old 4:3 21 inch )

Cheers

13. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooooopps

She's right. It's an old 21" not 28" as listed on my specs. The excitement of the new arrival is getting to me.

14. dave0

dave0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was from Digital-Point who have a bricks and mortar store:

Digital-Point
    259 - 261 Soho Road
    Handsworth
    Birmingham
    B21 9RY

Telephone: 0870 7547070

As recommended in this thread.

Very pleased with the deal I got. I was speaking to the guy in Richer sounds about it as i picked up my amp and dvd-r tonight and he was impressed at the deal too (and without any prejudice as they do not stock ANY CRT TVs anymore so he had nothing to gain)

15. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave0,

You must have got them at a good time as I'm using their current price of £1.029 as a price match with JL.

Oh well can't grumble, at the price I'm getting it for I'm happy.

Panasonic must have really ramped up production recently as there are a lot of PD30s in stock and I've been watching the price change on a daily basis over the last couple of weeks on Pricerunner, Kelkoo and Dealtime etc.

Thanks

16. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My earlier post should have gone in the sticky but I missed. On price if it helps John Lewis did me £999 plus free delivery plus the 5 year warranty. When they delivered it yesterday they stayed and put the stand together and lifted the set on for me even though I hadn't paid for set up. At that time it was the cheapest price anywhere ( 2 weeks ago) but I see that its dropping now to below £1000 everywhere. Three years warranty was about £200 or so and at least with John Lewis they're not hopefully disappearing over night ..if my purple patches don't go I'll find out how good their TLC is..!