Panasonic TX-32LXD85 vs TX-32LZD85 for SD/Sport/Upscaled DVD's?

Chrispy2

Standard Member
This is not my first post regarding HDTV's, but I feel I am gradually beginning to get to know what it is I want in my new TV. I am currently after a 32" LCD, which will get me through a few years in the lounge and then move on into the bedroom. In a few years I would like to get a 37" Full HD Plasma as I feel this will be the best route to go for HD content and even SD (especially sport and films) content in the future. However as I currently have next to no Full HD content (no blu-rays for a while yet) at the moment (and such a plasma doesn't exist that I know of) there seems to be little point in worrying about a TV being Full HD, especially at 32" when it is going to be used almost exclusively for SD content, especially Sky Sports, upscaled DVD's via a PS3, Gaming on the PS3 (which is mostly 720p) and possibly HD broadcasts from the likes of Sky and the BBC in the not too distant future (again only 1080i/720p).

Money is not an issue for me, quality is, especially for SD content. As I said this will be moving into the bedroom when a Full HD Plasma fits the bill.

So am I right in thinking that to get the Full HD Panny TX-32LZD85 (or the Sony KDL-32W4000) will in fact diminish my SD viewing experience (more pixels and lines to upscale to), when in fact the 32-LXD85 (or Sony KDL-32D3000), although cheaper, will actually be better for my needs? The only difference I can see is the use of 100hz motion picture 2 as opposed to 1 on the LZD85 and I can't see there being much of a difference there.

Everyone's thoughts and opinions are much valued here. Should I go HD ready as opposed to Full HD given my needs?

Gary Best

Novice Member
I think the LXD85 would be the way to go.

When the time eventually comes to view HD content on it, you really won't notice the difference on a 32" screen.

I've been doing far too much research on it all in my search for something similar. Originally I was going to go for the LXD70, but since that has been deleted, the LXD85 definitely seems to be the best bet.

And they're actually out now. I had a look at them in John Lewis yesterday lunchtime - looks good, but obviously hadn't been set up properly for display.

Chrispy2

Standard Member
Thanks Gary,

One thing I have just realised is that the LXD85 hasn't got 24p True Cinema, whereas the LZD85 and the Sony KDL-32D3000 have, but I think this only matters with Blu-ray discs and not DVD's (somebody please correct me if I am wrong).

I think it comes down to the PANNY LXD85 and the SONY KDL-32D3000 then (which I have seen and I was impressed with in M&S, who were charging a whopping £850 for it!). They seem to be the best two which fit the bill in terms of mainly watching SD content and handling image motion. Interestingly the new Sony KDL-32W4000 is only £50 more than the older D3000, which leads me to believe that the D3000 is still a very good option and offers something different to the W4000, primarily better SD viewing and motion handling (though I can not confirm from viewing the two side by side, can anybody?).

simonb611

Standard Member
On a similar theme - does anyone know what the difference is between the TX-32LZD85 and the TX-32LZD80... clearly the 85 is a newer model, but at £100 difference in John Lewis, i really couldn't work out what the difference was? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Further to the thread above - if you have since bought the LXD85 or LZD85, please let me know how you're getting on with it?

thanks

symbian

Novice Member
On a similar theme - does anyone know what the difference is between the TX-32LZD85 and the TX-32LZD80... clearly the 85 is a newer model, but at £100 difference in John Lewis, i really couldn't work out what the difference was? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Further to the thread above - if you have since bought the LXD85 or LZD85, please let me know how you're getting on with it?

thanks
In a similar position. Would it be better to invest another £100 for LZD85? My priority is gaming xbox360 and SD view.

sbrads

Novice Member
The LZD85 has a better sound quality with upgraded speakers compared to the LZD80 according to a magazine review (What Hi-Fi). It was the best sound from a multitude of 32" LCDs they tested this month.

anotherarunan

thanks
think the 85 has better motion picture stuff..(pro2 vs pro)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom