Panasonic TX-32LXD70 - Is this the best 32" for less than £600?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by lippi, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi People

Decided to take the plunge into HD after seeing my parents new Panasonic TH-42PX70B today (took my 360 round, I know HD gaming is better, but I was blown away by it!)

My question is, after looking at numerous reviews, is the LXd70 the best choice for 32" under £600? will the picture compare to the 42" plasma as above? I was going to get the 32" Mirai for £300 but decided I might as well spend a bit more for a better quality set, you get what you pay for right?

Ao if anyones got the LXD70 and use it for xbox 360 Id love to hear your thoughts.

P.S Also noticed what a difference having a decent speaker set up makes to gaming, if anyone can reccomend a speaker system to go with the tv Id really appreciate it. Sorry for another "reccomend me" or "shall I buy this" post, but Im pretty clueless when it comes to this and I wanna make sure I take the best option.

Oh yeah also, Ive seen the LXD70 for £590 from digital direct http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=12710&msg=2#Scene_1 is this the best deal out there??

Appreciate any help guys...

2. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Short answer, yes. The best deal on this set would be to get John Lewis to pricematch it against Richer Sounds who are currently offering it for £599. That way you get the JL 5 year warranty too.

3. fxytimi

fxytimi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    best tv, im buying one :D

4. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pontyac.

Unfortunately, I have to get it on finance (buy now, pay sometime when I dont have to think about it at the moment :) ) so I will probably have to stick with digitaldirect if they are ok.

It looks like Im making the right choice anyway!

5. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Mine is coming from JL on the 15th, free delivery. :D

6. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe nice one, I take it ordering from JL with the 5 year warranty is the way to go, unfortunately I aint got the cash 4 it, so does anyone know what the digitaldirect.co.uk warranty is and if the service is any good???

7. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You don't need the cash - Credit cards are there for a reason. ;)

I don't know about JL being the way to go, I just went with them because they give a free 5 year guarantee and everyone on here recommends them. Someone posted the other day about still waiting for £1000 to be refunded to his card 2 weeks after they picked it up...the JL store he's having issues with being the same I've just ordered from. ;__;

8. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Credit cards are the reason I cant pay cash hehe, but 5 yr guarantee sounds good, especially when Ive seen it cost £180 for it, hopefully it wouldnt be required, surely after a year you will know if your tv is faulty or not??

9. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What if, after 4 years, your TV died? You'd be screwed.

I'm not sure of the exact terms and conditions of the JL 5 year guarantee, maybe someone else could fill you in. I know some people have said JL were happy to replace TVs that died after 4 years.

10. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair Point thanks, I think in 4 years time Ill be wanting to upgrade anyway, but it could happen in 2 years I suppose. If the extra warranty is an absolute necassary, spose Ill have to save up unlike all you minted folks, but I want it now! cant imagine playin my xbox on my Thompson knackered CRT after seeing it in all its glory today!!

Out of interest is the LXD70 worth the extra £100 to an LMD70????

11. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The LXD70/700 has a 100hz refresh rate, the LMD70 has 50hz - 100hz is supposed to help out a lot and stopping blurring on motion. The LXD70/700 are also meant to have a different (superior) panel.

There was someone the Panny thread very happy with his LMD70. I suppose if your budget is tight and you want a decent quality TV, the LMD70 for £500 is excellent value for money. Can't really answer fully as I've never seem the LMD70 in the flesh.

12. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks .hack, I notice you advised on another thread that the LXD700 was available for £600 from JL, was that a typo or can you get it price matched for that???

13. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm just seen this Sony Bravia 32" KDL-32S2510U for £499, is the Panny much better anyone?

14. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You can get it price matched for that. Richer Sounds are selling the LXD70 for £599.95 and lots of people are having luck getting JL to PM with them. And, if cash is truly a problem, Richer Sounds are also selling the LMD70 for £499.95, meaning you can get JL to PM with them if you wish. :)

I'm NOT telling you which is and isn't better, nor am I telling you JL are the way to go. I know nothing myself until a) the LXD70 arrives and b) I test the JL Solihull CS.

15. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Dunno about the difference between the Sony 2510 and te 2530 but this group test might interest you:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=7284

I think for freeview then the LMD70 might be worth considering but for gaming you will want the 100Hz of the LXD70.

The LXD700 is more expensive but does give better sound and may save you some money elsewhere whilst also keeping things simple, but if you are happy to go for separate sound system the LXD70 is the one.

The other nice thing about John Lewis is that (occasionally with a teeny bit of insistence) they will take it back up to 28 days after purchase if you are not happy in any way - meaning that where other suppliers tell you to put up with the odd dead pixel or buzzing, JL will allow you to swap it for a new one or get your money back. Also if you find it cheaper within 28 days of buying it John Lewis will refund you the difference. Doesnt really help if you need finance on it though I guess...

16. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sold on on the LXD70 now, the internet is a wonderful thing when you buy something like this, Im sure I wont be dissapointed, I hope you love it too. Sounds like I cant really go wrong with it, will just go with digitaldirect.co.uk and hope the 1 yr warranty is enough unless the missus will give me the cash to get it from JL lol. thanks for the help and good luck with the set yourself.

17. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I assume you are getting this info from the JL site which reads "We hope you will be pleased with your purchase. Should you wish to return anything bought from us, we will be happy to refund or exchange a product provided it is in fully resaleable condition. Returns should be made within a reasonable time (usually 28 days) and in original, undamaged packaging."

However, does original, undamaged packaging mean UNOPENED? I mean, a lot of stores offer that, Currys for instance, you can return anything within 28 days as long as its unopened.

18. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks apreading, I think that review has confirmed Im making the right choice with the LXD70, Im sure Ill be happy with it, will just have to confirm it with the missus if I can pay it now via JL with the extra warranty and security lol

19. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Even though it says LXD70, isn't that review for the LXD700? It mentions 2x HDMI slots...

JL Solihull told me on the phone you will be forced to pay 10% (now 20%) of the price if you return it opened. Whatever people on here say, I forsee an argument should my set turn out to be faulty.

20. lippi

lippi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, Im sure wherever you get it from, if its knackered from day 1 you are gonna get a replacement either way...

21. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Nevermind, the LXD70 has 2x HDMI - I thought it only had 1! This £600 is looking like money well spent. :D

lippi: You can PM via email - I got mine done very fast without upping my phone bill. Might be an idea to get the letter confirming the PM from JL before asking the wife!

22. andycr

andycr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easiest way is ring up your local JL and ask them to PM JL Cheadle who have the TX32LXD70 AT £599 or did on Sat when I ordered one

23. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Did my PM via email - Sent email on the 2nd, letter received confirming the PM on the 8th. The letter was sent on the 6th.

24. Welshman Adam

Welshman Adam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking for a new TV for the past 2-3 weeks and originally I was going to go for the Samsung LE32R87BDX, but then I upped my budget and moved onto the Panasonic TX-32LXD70. I read all the reviews and decided it wasn't worth the extra £150 odd (not that I can stretch that far anyhow) for the LXD700 as the 70 has the same screen etc.

However, I went to Curry's yesterday just so I could see the real thing (not just pics in a mag or online) and I was so disappointed by the aesthetics of the Panasonic LXD70. In comparison to the Samsung it looks old, the silver finish did nothing for it and it's surprisingly deep for a flat screen TV. I know it's "each to their own" etc but it made me wish I could afford the LXD700 just for the more attractive finish if you know what I mean.

The dilemma I'm in now is do I spend the same cash and get the larger 37" Samsung LE37R87BDX (rated as being a better unit than the smaller Samsung 32") which looks so pretty or try to ignore the looks of the 32" Panasonic and focus on the 100hz picture quality etc...