1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-32LXD1: poor football viewing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by zum, Nov 21, 2004.

1. zum

zum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We just recently brought a Panasonic TX-32LXD1 from http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk, it arrived a couple a days after ordering :thumbsup:

On a whole we have been extremely impressed with our new BEAST. The only exception has been when watching sport, specifically football with wide shots of running players. With this we get alot of bleeding and blur :thumbsdow

We have tried playing with the array of setting without success... :( :( :(

Can anyone help? As this is driving me mad and has my wife questioning my manhood (you can even work a telly!)

ZUM
    London

2. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a comparison between the footie on both tuners as the bitrate is often very low on Freeview resulting in very digitised and slow images.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually this is caused by the poor bitrate of the Sky channel at the time. Bitrates vary a lot between channels and even at different times of day. It can also be a side effect of the strength/quality of your Sky signal. That's a moveable feast too, dependent on where you live and how good your installation is. Also, fast moving action is the most difficult thing for LCDs to reproduce (and the speed of response of LCD panels varies between makes). None of this solves your problem I know, but it might point to where the weaknesses are.

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise now BTW that you are talking about Freeview not Sky - but as Muffking says bitrates vary a lot on this too. Have you got a dedicated digital aerial?

5. zum

zum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies
    its actually a getting its signal from Sky via Telewest (pace) STB (only STB, no aerial at mo)
    Think signal is pretty good because when got second STB installed the engineer made a comment to that effect.
    will have a play with different feeds...

BTW: I thought beauty of digital signal was it was on or off, ie it works or it doesn't (disregarding signal noise for the moment)

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't know this set, but if you have not done so already, you could try a basic calibration for brightness and contrast (a DVD with THX optimiser would put you in the right ball park), turning any 'noise reduction' off and adjusting any sharpness control that the set may have. Some or all of these settings may be on a per input basis, so if you calibrate on one input, you may need to transfer the settings to another and give a final tweak. TV are delivered with their settings designed to grab the attention of a purchaser (high contrast, overly bright, etc) rather than provide optimal picture quality.

7. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could do a test comparison against a different TV from the same SKY box (although I did assume you were using the Freeview tuner in the TV).
    I agree with what you say about Digital signals are meant to be better, but I wouldn't take that for granted as the transmision companies can change the bitrate at any given moment, for example, have you ever noticed that the quality of the adverts is sometimes better than the program you were watching. It's cheeky but true i'm afraid.