1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-28PL1

Discussion in 'TVs' started by The Guru, Feb 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a 28" Widescreen TV after getting a refund on a dodgy Phillips PW6515. The Panasonic TX-28PL1 is in my price range at Costco. Has anyone got experience of this model good or bad? Is it a good buy at £552 or should I avoid it. Can anyone recommend a different TV for under £1000. Good Geometry is important to me are there any known sets that are better than others? Help I am going mad trying to decide!!!!!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest you do a search on this forum.....just type in Panasonic or 28PL1......and then panic ;)

The best thing to do is take note of all the problems that are listed and go and seek a local dealer who has a PL1 in stock and see for yourself. You may find that you can either not see the problems or that they are not that noticeable.......on the other hand you may immediately cross this set off your wanted list!!

Just out of interest...as I am waiting for a replacement 32PW6515 from EDUK.......what was your problem with the Philips?

3. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PL1 is a fantastic set in theory and the chassis is very well designed (it's one of the most attractive TV's available). As you're aware though, the same is true of the 6515 and things aren't always quite so rosey in practice.

The PL1 is a very good example of how marketing and re-invention can give the false illusion of quality. If you do a search (as Gordon suggested), you'll find detailed reports of RGB playback problems and a variety of other niggles. When all's said and done though, the PL1 is just a PK3 with a new frame, so I'm baffled by all the reverence and swooning anyway. Obviously I'm biased because I bought one and had a bad experience (do a search a.s.a.p!) but most of the problems were present with the previous PK range, so Panasonic should be ashamed of themselves for not addressing those issues.

What needs to be emphasised is that if you buy a PL1, you'll get 3 vertical lines (both edges and one straight down the middle) which are always present and particularly distracting with field sports. ANY big patches of uniform colour will cause other symptoms too, like faint horizontal flickering (especially noticeable on RGB skylines). Now, I had loads of other problems aswell, but I've prioritised those two because I'm sure you'll experience both if you buy a Panny PL1. The other (more serious) flaws, MAY have been caused by some kind of shielding failure or maybe I was just unlucky and got a really "bad apple" (I've witnessed some of the same things on other samples though).

Reviews for the set are always high-praise affairs (full marks for picture etc), but any visitor to this site knows that there are some things that reviews can't tell you (or don't bother telling you). I've seen an appraisal which describes the PL1's image as "one of the most natural pictures I've ever seen". Personally, I found the image to be overly processed looking for a 50hz set and I imagine you'd feel the same after owning a Philips.

It's up to you of course. If you choose to take the risk, then at least make sure you buy it from somewhere with good after-sales service.

4. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the replies. It feels like there is no TV out there worth buying as whatever you look at you will have problems with. The answer to the question what was wrong with the Phillips28PW6515 is long so here goes. Bad Geometry in 4:3 & 14:9, Pin cushion, fish bowl effect in a 1 inch band running down the right hand side of the screen (a common and known prob with this model) Phillips also know of the prob but have done nothing about it. Artefacts left on the screen when there is a contrast change from bright to dark images. Bought from Debenhams and had to have 4 different stands delivered as all where scratched or dented. Engineer out to see TV said it had to go away to the workshop. Although I boxed the set up to go away the van driver took it out and slung it in the back of the van. Replacement set left while it was away had no colour and the sound faded in and out (an Hitachi) Set came back and was scratched and dented and had not been fixed. When my wife complained and refused to sign for it the delivery guy actually told her to fudge off! I have complained as strongly as possible and have now had a full refund on my crap 28PW6515 set and will never but a Phillips again if you paid me. Debenhams for their part were good as gold but the service company they use for engineering and deliveries ENDEVA are crap and I believe Debenhams are no longer using them.:mad:

So now I am looking for a different set!!!!!

5. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest a 28" Widescreen TV that works, has not got bad Geometry, and plays DVD's region 2 decently. All I want is a TV that works for my hard earned money. I had hoped £600 would get me a decent set but obviously not! I might have to go up to £1000 but still what do I buy.... Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba. I have had bad experiences of Phillips and Hitachi so would not buy them. ANY SUGGESTIONS:confused:

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think I need to add my few wise words after reading the above comments and yes...all the previous ads people are referring to.

It's pure and simple luck !!!

Firstly Make sure you buy from somewhere with good after sales.

I have a friend with one of those 'green' looking 28" Phillips TV's (sorry dont know the model) - brilliant picture. I personally have the Panasonic TX-36PF10, another friend has the same TV as mine in 32" another has the Sony 36"- All brilliant pictures. No problems from day one of ownership. I've had mine about 2 years.
    The friends Phillips TV did blow something recently, but had it repaired under the extended guarantee - picture still just as great as before.

OK , there have been bad batches of TV's, but should these really undermine all the other good ones out there, as the ones I have mentioned are all superb in my opinion.

OK, I too would be annoyed had I received one TV set after another not up to scratch. Could it be the delivery people who are at blame? could it be where they are in storage ? could it be the shop owner who is just trying it one from one customer to another ? Could it be the batch the shop has ?

Well, you could always ask for your money back after 2/3 attempts and then go to a completely different dealer in another part of the country or try a local department store .

Remember lots of people have complained and written articles about individual models - and there is nothing wrong with expressing their views, but I wonder how many each of these models have been sold with no problem.

7. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aw shucks!

I was getting ready to buy a Panasonic TX-PL1!:(

I too am looking for a 28" TV, with no massive problems. I find it hard to believe that all widescreen televisions under a grand are so cruddy though. Nearly every TV that I've investigated seems to have been absolutely slated on these forums.

Is there any flat widescreen TV out there for under £600 that MOST people here can agree on? I've been taking my time making my desicion because although others may scoff at a £600 budget, that's a lot of bloody money for me.

This forum has for me, thus far, done more harm than good as far as my decision goes.

Anybody work in a TV shop? Anybody have a overview of many popular sets? Not just one good or bad TV experience?

8. JamieL

JamieL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnny,

I was in the same situation, SO close to ordering a 28" PL1 when I came across the complaints on this forum.

I've since read a glowing review of the 28" PL4 in What Hi-Fi and am trying to find general opinions on this set to determine whether it suffers from the same problems as the PL1. No such luck yet though...

9. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I know the PL4 is the exact same set as the PL1 albeit with Dolby Surround. Therefore it is very likely that it has inherited the PL1's problems. Try the JVC WFT1 (£470) or the Sony 28LS35 (£500). The top two 50 Hz sets out there!

10. toastyhamster

toastyhamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I took delivery of a Panny 32" PL1 yesterday. Even after reading this forum!
    After reading on here I decided to look very closely for any flaws and I have to say that generally I'm pleased with the set.
    I've done some uniform colour tests (my DVD has a useful all blue screen when no disk is loaded) and it's pretty damn perfect, the only very small flaw is a slightly dark patch in a 1 inch square in the bottom right of the TV, but you have to look pretty hard to see it.
    The only thing that annoys me is the right hand edge of the Sky program info box (the blue one that pops up when you change channels) isn't quite straight, this is also noticeable when watching stuff like the Sky footie scores program where there is lots of scrolling text in that area. However it's something I can live with given that I'm very pleased with the rest of the set.
    As the set has gone up 75 quid since I placed my order (unbeatable.co.uk) I'm happy overall - there are no lines or any of the other faults mentioned on the forums.
    I just need to sort out some decent cables now!

cheers

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had 6 tvs in 8 months. 3 sonys which were all crap. 1 panny which had the vertical bars which at the time i did not know were a common fault (i could have lived with this though) 2 RP panny tvs. 1st one was terrible but i think it was a used set when i got it. the 2nd one is fantastic. if i were you i would stick with panny. they are great looking sets and the faults people are having seem to be very minor compared to other brands. Why not try JVC, i cant recall any bad threads about them!! GOOD LUCK:cool:

12. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toasty- I'm glad you're happy with your purchase and maybe the 28" differs from the 32" in some ways? (come to think of it, all the complaints were from owners of the 28PL1 or 28PK3). That said, I'm still fairly sure you'll notice the 3 bars eventually as all TAU screens will have the problem to some extent.

Have you watched any football/rugby yet? The camera panning is probably just as important as the uniform colour. What about flickery lines on R2 DVD's? have you used an RGB connection for any length of time?. I don't want to worry you (or anyone else) unduly, but it's best to be sure.

I disliked the PL1 right away and I thought most of the glowing reviews were inaccurate. The remote for example is always referred to as "intuitive" and "excellent", yet I found it to be a tacky Fisher-price-esque affair, with rubber buttons that had a tendency to stick (the volume+ button got wedged in once and damn near deafened me!). I had the TV for nearly 2 weeks and still needed to look down at the handset to find the "aspect" and "menu" buttons. The remote I had with my philips 6005 was much better IMO and I could use it (without looking at it) within an hour of owning it. So, in fairness, there's a degree of personal opinion involved too, although I stress that I'd have still kept the PL1 if it didn't have the numerous flaws it did.

I sincerely hope you've got yourself a decent set, but I think you should give it a couple of weeks before wholeheartedly endorsing it....

13. toastyhamster

toastyhamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nyquil, point taken :)

I watched some football yesterday and couldn't see any problems.

I might not be seeing the lines because I'm using S-Video from my DVD, my Scarts are taken up by the Sky box and a PS/2. Haven't worked out the best way to connect these yet, my cheap Scart cables make the Sky and DVD pictures degrade :( Watched the Matrix last night (after I';d worked out how to get S-Video to display in colour) and I thought it was excellent. The picture on the PS/2 has also impressed me compared to my 5 yr old Sony 28".

Just for aesthetics I'm trying to remove my dependance on a front S-Vid socket - bit I'm still considering what are my best options. First job is to buy some decent Scarts!

Initially I've been impressed with the remote although it'll probably only get used to switch AV inputs (girlfriend has a permanent ear infection and the subtitle coverage on Sky isn't great so we end up switching to terrestrial where possible) as after some fiddling I've managed to get the Sky remote working.

I'm gonna have a fiddle with the service menu's and see if i can do anything with the geometry in the bottom right hand corner - dunno what's possible yet.

cheers

14. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jvc Av28r100eks

Has anyone got this set? Is it any good? Is the geometry good as Mag reviews say it is excellent. I want a decent 28" Widescreen TV. Thanks for all the advice so far maybe this is the model of TV I need. Any thoughts.:eek: :confused:

15. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had bad experiences with Endeva too. They did seem really bad to me. Unfortunately they're also used by Empire Direct and Unbeatable.

16. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Debenhams still use Endeva as I have an engineer coming tomorrow to look at my 28PL1, the recorded message sounded like Endeva was mentioned, and the service line were quite abrupt with me as well - as though I was inconveniencing them by phoning them up!
    No doubt he'll spew some BS about the problems I have with tuner interference on DVD playback but I have a friend bringing over his DVD player and expensive shielded scart lead to make sure it isn't my setup causing the problems.
    I'll be hopefully getting a refund as I don't think they can fix the tuner problem and therefore using my nice little Thomson 14" which is actually quite old but very rich in features, shame its so small :) until I save enough for a Loewe Vitros or Aconda perhaps.

17. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife received a phone call yesterday and thought it was a winde-up. It was the Managing Director from Debenhams Media Division. He had actually phoned to apologise on behalf of Debenhams for the service we had received (or not) in this case from their supplier ENDEVA. He told us he had a meeting this week with their Heads of Department and would be outlining some major issues with them, it appears we were not the first to have trouble with them. Nice touch I thought after all the agro. So my advice is if you are having trouble with ENDEVA shout loud, they are on the rack and deserve it. You can get a full refund if you are not happy even after 3 months. Do quote the Sale of Goods act if need be and get the service that you deserve for the hundreds of £'s you have spent. I am now looking for a new TV not a Phillips and not from Debenhams. Any ideas where and what make????:eek:

18. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the engineer round this morning,
    he agreed about the tuner interference on the AV sockets.
    I then spoke to Debenhams who said I had to speak to Endeva again, so I did they just said tell Debenhams its a manufacturing fault :)
    About to phone them now and I think I will be mentioning the Sale of Goods act - the TV is a month old by the way.
    I wouldn't mind but i'll probably be buying a more expensive TV instead so they stand to still get something out of it. If they won't play ball or are difficult i'll go for a refund rather than a swap and go elsewhere.