Panasonic TX-28PL1 standby circuitry

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by [email protected], Jan 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tonystarkey@one

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic TX-28PL1 28 inch TV locks in the standby mode which was no problem before I bought my PVR because I simply switched off at the socket. Now I need to leave the TV on standby when recording and more often than not I have difficulty in getting it out of standby - sometimes I am days without TV.
    Question - is the stanby "sensor" on a separate pcb that is easily replaced and where can I get one? Alternatively, could I replace it with a small push button switch mounted through the led hole in the front of the TV casing and what would be the connections?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Why has the TV got to be left in standby for the PVR to work?

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    There is no such a thing as a "Standby Sensor", there is an infra-red receiver diode which receives commands from the remote and passes them to the microcontroller where they are processed and control the various parts of the set.
    There are many causes of the "stuck in standby" symptoms on this model which uses the Panasonic EURO4 chassis and I suggest you get it checked by an experienced TV repairman.

4. tonystarkey@one

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Finding a reputableTV repairman is easier said than done nowadays what with so many cowboys around and the fact that we are now in a "throw away and buy new on credit" society. Even if I found one I doubt if I could afford to employ him/her on my income.

5. tonystarkey@one

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question! Perhaps it is the way I have all my goodies interconnected - TV AV1 to single tuner PVR with aerial into PVR, TV AV2 to 2-way switched splitter having one socket to VCR to STB and the other to DVD player. This method of connection was kindly suggested by another forum member and it has enabled me to record one Freeview programme on the PVR while watching another Freeview programme on the STB. The only niggle I have with this set up is that I have to first use my TV remote to switch AV before I can access the PVR.

6. tonystarkey@one

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had another go at recording with the TV un-powered and it worked! I can only surmise that I failed to check this after my final, and tenth, component connection configuration. This was probably due to my elation at finding that I could record and watch different programmes at the same time! Now if some bright spark could tell me how I can avoid having to press the AV/TV key on my TV remote to get access the digital broadcast, I will be the happiest 74 year old in Plymouth!