1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-28MD4 - audio out not working

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by malakoffee, Jan 2, 2005.

1. malakoffee

malakoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's my parents TV. They are getting deaf as they get older . . . . I was hoping to alleviate the problem by connecting a couple of old hifi speakers to the audio out sockets on the back of the set and placing near to parents viewing position.

This TV is about six years old. It's manual declares "Audio Output - 2 * 15W, 8ohm impedence". The speakers match the spec, but there is no audio output . . .nothing !! There is no obvious config problem : it just doesn't work !!!

I have sent off a tech support email to Panasonic several days ago but don't hold out much hope.

Any thoughts about how to proceed ??

Thanks
    Malakoff

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    I think you may be getting confused between the audio output specifications of the internal amp/speakers & the line level audio output via phono plugs on the rear of the TV. The phono connections need to be connected to an amplifier or powered speakers, you can't drive "normal" speakers directly.

The manual is available for download from Panasonic's site (here) but is incomplete.

3. malakoffee

malakoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Croc, thanks for the response. You have set me right.

I have linked up an amp to drive the speakers and it works OK.

Although this is an experimental success, I doubt that the old folks would cope with manual volume adjustments on an old hifi amplifier somewhere in the room.

Do the modern TV sets permit external speakers (near the viewer) that have the volume control ( for those external speakers ) on the TV hand controller ??

Regards
    Malakoff

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Tosh TVs with surround sound amps built in have external speakers controlled as you suggest. I don't know about regular nicam models.

A cheaper solution would be powered/active speakers with amps in the speaker cabinet like PC speakers. If you can find a pair or individual speakers with a volume control on each speaker, then each of your folks can select a volume appropriate to their hearing. Obviously the TV would need to be set to mono.

I don't know what's currently available but a post in the speakers forum asking for suggestions should produce some options.

5. malakoffee

malakoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Croc . . . powered speaker question asked as advised Malakoff