1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-28DTX10 Problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dek, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on a problem we're having with a brand new tv. The TV ( we're on our second one now ) keeps intermittently going into standby mode. The LED will flash and the TV goes off then comes on by itself after 4 - 5 seconds with nobody near the remote control! The retailer sent a local electrical repair agent out to make sure it was setup okay and to do some basic component tests which all came back clear. We stay in an old house so worried about electric supply anomalies we put in a surge protected adapter but this has made no difference and anyway no other appliance in the house appears to have problems. Secondly there is a small infra red sensor in close proximety to the set which is attached to the house alarm although the TV goes off 99% of the time when the sensor is not active. Last in my clutching at straws theories is that the neighbours television sits back to back with ours albeit through a fairly substantial wall although it's not the same make or model. Another funny is that say every 10% of the "standby" funnies result in the picture coming back in a monochrome/green colour with me unable to change channels and only a hard reset will fix it. I'm baffled and frustrated, the local retailer is the same and we're close to getting a 3rd set. Apologies for the monster message. ;-)

2. daroca

daroca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I've just taken both AV1 & Av2 scarts out completely to see if that stops the problem. I have video into AV2 and DVD into AV1 although the problem happened when video only was connected in AV2. The Q-link option only lets me switch via AV1 and AV2, doesn't appear to be an option to switch off completely. If this does work, could it be the quality of scart cables used? We are currently using cheap and nasty ones.

4. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try cutting the data pins (10 and 12) on one end of the SCART lead.

5. daroca

daroca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Dek,

I just check this again, the problem only occurred when I was using AV2 which I have a DVD recorder connected to.

You are correct about the Q-link options, I had change the Q-link option to use AV1,
    it was set to AV2. I also set the AV1 and AV2 output to monitor in the setup menu.

Let us know if this works around the problem for you.

I'm using reasonable scart leads and still have the problem.

6. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after I disconnected both scarts, the TV gave me about 5 hours of flawless viewing. I then connected the video scart only to AV1 ( q-link set to AV1 ) and the TV did it's standby thing after about 30 mins. I currently have video scart only in AV2 ( q-link still on AV1 ) and it has so far been okay for about 3 hours. My dilemma is that i'm due to get new set number 3 delivered on Saturday. Given this appears to be a panasonic specific fault/feature whatever you want to call it, is there any point in me taking delivery of a new set? Apologies for the daft newbie questions but has anyone taken this back to panasonic technical support - is there any point? I've had more joy from this forum in 24 hours than i've had from 4 weeks of stop start discussions with my local retailer and the odd frustrated email to panasonic technical support. Thanks again.

7. daroca

daroca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I believe this should be brought the attention of Panasonic technical support, they then maybe able to produce a solution to this problem.

At the moment I have a similar configuration to what you have mentioned, so it's not effecting my viewing, should I want to use Q-link in the future the problem will reoccur.

Maybe the solution for you is to get different model of TV ?

I've had mine over 2 months so I think I may have a fight to get it replaced for another model.

8. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was offered the chance of selecting the similarly priced sony althout it was only a 50Hz model. I mulled it over but in the end stuck with the panasonic due to it being 100Hz and aesthetically more pleasing to the eye. I think I will cancel the delivery of the new model but ask them not to close the fault and see if between us we can get any action from panasonic. Fingers crossed the current configuration of scart connection and q-link setting will be stable. I'll keep you informed of progress.

9. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daroca, was unable to pick up your message as I have a pop up blocker at work and it failed to spawn the new window with the message in it. Send it again and i'll view it at home after work.

10. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to phone Panasonic customer support at lunchtime and see if I could speak to a human. After 20 mins of being placed on hold, cut off, then on hold again I got some bloke. His take on the situation is that I have a faulty set and that all the people that have reported the same problem on this forum will also have faulty sets! I had my video into AV1 for the duration of the problems but panasonic suggest that you should always have the video into AV2....i'm a bugger for missing the obvious at times. ;-) Over the weekend I will soak test the TV and leave it on morning to night where possible with the video in AV2. If this proves successful I will then reintroduce the DVD player to AV1 and see how that goes. If there is still a problem after this weekend I will request a 3rd set. If the 3rd set is still faulty I will then request a refund and probably blow a gasket. Because the option was there for me to receive a 3rd set from the retailer the panasonic bloke was far from interested in investigating the problem. For my own part, I want to see if the video in AV1 rather than AV2 was the root of the problem. I'll keep you informed.

11. daroca

daroca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have also raised a call with Panasonic, waiting for a reply.
    PM me any Panasonic reference you may have been give, as we can then tie these problems together at Panasonic end.

Remember to also change the Q-link AV option towards the device on the AV scart socket which supports Q-link (your video recorder) and I've sure you will hit the problem again.

I have always had my DVD recorder, connected to AV2. I will move it to AV1 to see if the problem still occurs on that scart socket.

12. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give the man a prize! A couple of hours after switching q-link to AV2 the TV did it's standby thing again. It's now back pointing to the currently unoccupied AV1 and this appears to be stable. I suppose the next logical step if this is stable is to stick back the DVD player in AV1 then sit back and watch.

13. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daroca, well after a weekend of testing it does appear that when q-link is set to point to my video recorder in either AV1 or AV2 - it produces the fault. At the moment I have video in AV2 and DVD in AV1 with q-link pointing to AV1 and it appears stable although q-link pointing to a non recordable device is pretty pointless! I assume you're in the same situation in that you're having to point q-link away from your DVD recorder for it to remain stable. I didn't get a reference number when I called Panasonic on Friday. Have panasonic got back to you yet?

14. daroca

daroca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got the same results as you over the weekend, the problem occurred in both AV1 and AV2 with only a DVD-recorder connected to the scart input, as long as Q-Link option was configured to the same AV input as the recorder.

Moving the Q-Link option to the other AV input or if the recorder was in standby mode, I don't see the problem.

The longest time it took to recreate the problem was approx 2 hours, the shortest about 15 mins.

I have not heard back from Panasonic as yet.

15. hondaman

hondaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the same set and have been having the same trouble, I am on my third set however after changing the AV away from the Q Link the TV has not gone off it must be something to do with the Q link.
    I have contacted Panasonic and there answer is that there is no known fault with this model and it must be a one off problem and to seek help from the retailer who is just as frustrated as I am.
    Has anyone else had a reply from Panasonic.

16. Dek

Dek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hondaman, myself and Daroca have tried to get Panasonic technical support to look at this problem but apart from an initial flurry it seems it's all gone quiet. I too am on my second set and was awaiting delivery of a third when daroca pointed me to the problem. It seems that whenever q-link is pointing to a recording device with an inbuilt tuner ( ie - video or dvd recorder ) then it produces this strange behaviour. Q-link is currently pointing at my non recordable dvd player and all has been well for months. My video is a sony using smartlink and I think Darocas DVD recorder is a sharp ( correct me if i'm wrong Daroca! ). By all means give panasonic technical support a prod and if you need reference numbers of existing calls for them to cross reference just ask.

Dek

17. hondaman

hondaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dek,
    I have two E mail replies from Panasonic denying all knowledge of this problem and saying that I should return to the Panasonic dealer for him to sort out, third set with same fault. I too have the Q Link pointing away from the recorder at this time and the TV is fine. Coincidentally I too have a Sony with smart link, perhaps this is the trouble maybe they are not compatible! But you have said the other chaps recorder is a Sharp, so I don't know.
    I will let you know how I get on with Panasonic.

18. bracknell boy

bracknell boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a problem with my Panasonic TX-28DTX10 in that every time you switch the tv off it loses the analogue stations & you need to retune the tv. The retailer took the tv away & upgraded the software but this did not rectify the problem. The retailer has taken it away a further 2 times but the problem is still there & they now say its a fault with the ariel. I don't see how, if the tv successfully tunes in & stores the analogue stations, that the fault can lie with the ariel. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or can anyone give advice.

19. killzusall

killzusall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: I found this page on sonys website

http://www.npe.sony.co.uk/faq.html

It says about halfway down

Will Smartlink work with non-Sony devices?
    Smartlink may be referred to as Megalogic, NexTView, T-V Link, Easylink, AV.Link, CinemaLink, or Q-Link. The VTX-D800U will operate any device which provides the compatible interface.

It also then later says

I have a Smartlink VCR and the Smartlink function does not seem to work
    The first thing to check is that the Smartlink feature is enabled on both your VCR and on the VTX-D800U (Menu->Settings->Picture->Smartlink). Secondly, check that the VTX-D800U is connected to the Smartlink compatible Scart of your VCR and that the Scart lead you are using is ‘fully connected’. The Scart lead provided with the VTX-D800U is ‘fully connected’. The present range of Sony VCRs do not fully provide the Smartlink recording feature that has been designed into the VTX-D800U. The software for the VTX-D800U was updated to provide additional suitable signals for the present Sony VCR models SLV - SE 830 and 730 to correctly operate the Smartlink feature. If the software version of your VTX-D800U is the original 1.04.01 and you have a Sony VCR, then we advise you to switch off the Smartlink feature in the Set Up menu of the VTX-D800U until you receive the updated software.

So it looks to me that the Q-Link system is trying to communicate with the smartlink or Sharps equivalent (I have the 28DTX10 and a Sony SE 730 VCR), but software could be causing a similar problem as to what happens to the Sony VTX-D800U TV described on the Sony website.

This probably means its only compatible with a Panasonic VCR/DVD-R.

20. killzusall

killzusall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw just looked in my TV manual on page 30 and in reference to the cheap leads being a problem it says they have to be 'fully wired' to allow a 2way signal (VCR--->TV and TV--->VCR). I have a £50 Grade 2 Monster Cable. Not the most expensive monster cable available but still a good one and I still have this problem.

21. killzusall

killzusall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becoming a bit of a serial poster now, just gone into the VCR setup and told it to use smartlink (Sony SE 730, Menu ---> Installation ---> Smartlink ---> Download Channels From TV (something like that anyway)) just got error saying the VCR couldnt download the channels and to check the euro connection and tv, tried both scarts on tv and vcr in all combinations and no luck, so now just got VCR on RF and DVD on Scart. I think its just compatibility and you just need a VCR or DVD-R as new or newer than the TV

22. drbell

drbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Panny Tx-28 as well. I've had it six weeks now and it's going to be collected by Digital Direct tomorrow in exchange for a Panny TX-32PD50. The 28 incher started going into standby mode on the first evening it was installed. I called Panny who said it shouldn't be doing that (!, no you don't say). So I contacted Digital Direcct who (eventually) called me back and are picking it up.

I really think the forums are great but I think advice such as switching AV inputs and cutting pins is a non starter. A brand new TV should work without any jiggery pockery and Panny should wake up to the fact that perhaps it's TV's need a bit more QA before they leave the factories. :lesson: :lesson:

23. zabbari

zabbari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my second TV set, having returned the first one with the same problem of picture and sound cutting out intermittently. I have a Sony VCR connected to AV2 and I've tried setting both AV1 and AV2 "out" to analogue, DVB and monitor, without any luck. Panasonic's technical department is always busy and when I eventually got a reply to my email they just referred me to my dealer. By then the 28 days return period ran out or I would have returned this set too and given up on Panasonic altogether. Thanks for your help guys.