Panasonic TVs no longer on display in Currys

mikej

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was passing my nearest Currys store this afternoon so I popped in to check out the latest TVs on display and found, as I've read elsewhere, that there are no longer any Panasonic TVs on display at all. You can still buy them from Currys online, but you can't see them in store - at least not in my nearest store.

Now this is unlikely to bother a lot of people here as many forum users (myself included) prefer to buy their TVs elsewhere or are content with buying online without the need for a store visit, but I think it's fair to say that the typical AV Forums member is likely to be more of an enthusiast and probably doesn't represent the average TV buyer - the type who'll pop into Currys on a Saturday afternoon for a browse and maybe make a purchase. For those people, the long rows of huge Sony, Samsung and LG LCDs and OLEDs will be the main focus and only options to choose from... and Panasonic TVs will no longer be a consideration. Out of sight and out of mind.

Every one of my main TVs (since the late 90s) has been a Panasonic which means I'm obviously a fan and keen to see them continue, so my big concern is that if their TVs have disappeared from the shelves of one of the largest high-street electrical retailers in the UK, then they will start to become a niche, enthusiast's product and their days will be numbered.

I'd certainly be curious to know what lead to this situation and if it was Panasonic's decision, then saving a few quid by not having to produce store displays or hire the odd salesman would seem like an unnecessary gamble to me.

Does anyone else share the same thoughts ? Or do you think that internet shopping now dominates to such an extent that a high-street presence and store display no longer matters to a TV manufacturer ?

Well I saw Panasonic TVs on display at the Curry's in London (south east, Old Kent Road)
That's odd - I'm sure a forum member who worked for Currys commented a while ago that they would no longer be displaying Panasonic TVs. The store I was in today was a large one and had rows and rows of TVs from all the other major manufacturers but no Panasonics.

Maybe they've made an exception for a flagship London store ?

I was in Fenwick department store in Newcastle at the weekend and for the first time they had no Panasonic TVs on display I'm wondering what's going on with Panasonic’s marketing. There were loads of Sony and LG tvs and Sony and LG rep's

I don't know, if like supermarkets, Currys charge the manufacturer to display goods in their stores.

Possibly Panasonic doesn't want to play ball or just isn't offering Currys the kind of deal that makes it far more attractive to them to sell rival brands.

*NB - I really hate Currys and wouldn't pay them for a £20 kettle.

Or perhaps this is Panasonic starting its withdrawal from the a/v market, just as it’s done elsewhere around the globe. Profits from a/v stuff is wafer thin. Panasonic smart TVs aren’t that smart compared to the competition, and are light on features such as HDMI ports. I have a 2019 Panasonic 4K TV which is beaten hands down by my 2019 LG. I wouldn’t buy another Panasonic TV, they are just too lack lustre.

Last edited:
Panasonic OLEDs are excellent.

Panasonic LCD's are very poor and not even made by Panasonic. They're made by Vestel, a Turkish company that make JVC, Sanyo, Toshiba, etc and supermarket own-brand TVs.

Panasonic LCD's are very poor and not even made by Panasonic. They're made by Vestel, a Turkish company that make JVC, Sanyo, Toshiba, etc and supermarket own-brand TVs.
I disagree and so do these

Ha ha, have you not spotted of late that WHF just tend to give everything 5 stars or at a push 4?! ;)

Yes the DX902 was something special 6-7 years ago, full fald which was why it was deep and heavy, I had 2, but they no longer make them like that anymore, in fact they don’t even make them themselves any more. I know I have a newer one in my bedroom..

That's not true and really misleading. Only some lower end series are made by Vestel and it's not even the case every year. This year the JX600 seems to be made by Vestel but the JX700, JX800, JX850 and JX940 are made by Panasonic.
The mid and high range Panasonic LCDs may not be as good as competitors in some aspects (VA vs IPS, Full LED vs edge LED etc...) but it's really unfair to call them 'very poor'.

How about overpriced....

They haven't made a good, competitive LCD since the 902B, everything else has underperformed or been overpriced.
The last couple of years all but the top end of Panasonic LCDs were made by Vestel and the top end ones..... see above.

What Hifi. A rating based on how large your advertisement budget is.

9/10 on here

That's a 6 (7?) year old TV. Both the reviews are.

You think reviews from 7 years ago count for anything in an industry where every year new models are trotted out?

They've been churning out budget TVs at Panasonic prices that were no better than supermarket models for the last few years.
Their "higher-end" stuff was edge-lit when their rivals had FALD for the same price.

Last edited:
The last couple of years all but the top end of Panasonic LCDs were made by Vestel
That's not true. Please stop misleading people around here.
Over the last 10 years only some specific low end series were made by Vestel. Most low end series and 100% mid range series are made by Panasonic. That's a fact.

Panasonic's pricing strategy varies from one country/region to another so it's difficult to discuss 'overpricing' on a global web forum with members from everywhere...
For example Germany has exclusive 'retail' models and better prices than other European countries such as France, probably because of the larger customers base and Panasonic's Europe headquarters being in Germany.

This is a UK based forum. The majority of its members are UK based and the ones looking for information on purchasing a TV in the UK are interested in UK pricing. They don't care about the costs in Germany.

How do you enjoy working for Panasonic?
It appears from your posting history you may just be shilling for them.

I'll leave you to it and stand by my comments, that Panasonic LCD TVs for years have been overpriced (in the UK) and under specced compared to rivals.

They make great OLEDs but the LCD lineup has been poor for years.

You like Panasonic products, feel free to buy and recommend them.

The majority of users on here that know about TVs would not recommend Panasonics LCD lineup over the last few years, we are free to do that.

I'm ignoring any further comments from you as I have to conclude you're either:-

A/ Shilling, virtually every post from you is about Panasonic.
B/A fanboy, so it's pointless.

If you're not sure how to ignore me, feel free to comment and I'll demonstrate.

Last edited:
I like it very much! I get a 1% discount code for every post in the Panasonic forums and when I make some jokes about their usual "improve system stability"/"improve network applications" firmware changelog, I even get a congrats email from Panasonic Japan and a double discount code.
For sure my next Panasonic TV, if not free, won't be overpriced!

I like it very much! I get a 1% discount code for every post in the Panasonic forums and when I make some jokes about their usual "improve system stability"/"improve network applications" firmware changelog, I even get a congrats email from Panasonic Japan and a double discount code.
For sure my next Panasonic TV, if not free, won't be overpriced!
Same here. My numerous posts on Panasonic UHD players has got me enough discount points for a JZ2000 and a UB9000. I also get double points for slagging off Sony and triple points for knocking LG....:smashin:

However I think we may have broken the rules in the small print of our discount code membership and the gravy train may end as a result...:(
First rule of Panasonic Club is you do not mention Panasonic Club
Second rule of Panasonic Club is you do not mention Panasonic Club

My guess would be that Currys are minimising the options available to walk in customers more to the lesser known brands they make more money on - or they’re getting pressure from the likes of LG and Samsung who are hell bent on market share.

This is a UK based forum. The majority of its members are UK based and the ones looking for information on purchasing a TV in the UK are interested in UK pricing. They don't care about the costs in Germany.

I'll leave you to it and stand by my comments, that Panasonic LCD TVs for years have been overpriced (in the UK) and under specced compared to rivals.

They make great OLEDs but the LCD lineup has been poor for years.

You like Panasonic products, feel free to buy and recommend them.

The majority of users on here that know about TVs would not recommend Panasonics LCD lineup over the last few years, we are free to do that.

I'm ignoring any further comments from you as I have to conclude you're either:-

A/ Shilling, virtually every post from you is about Panasonic.
B/A fanboy, so it's pointless.

If you're not sure how to ignore me, feel free to comment and I'll demonstrate.
Whats with the angst 🤷‍♂️

Panasonic wont pay currys for floor sapce, according to the well informed tv guy i spoke to. App they are focusing on battery production

That's only a very few low end models.
The bulk of the range is still Japanese designed, global Panasonic made models.

With the pandemic/shipping and supply chain issues, everything is a mess for all companies.

I'd say wait until this time next year for a clearer picture of what's going on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom