Panasonic TVs no longer on display in Currys

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
They haven't made a good, competitive LCD since the 902B, everything else has underperformed or been overpriced.
The last couple of years all but the top end of Panasonic LCDs were made by Vestel and the top end ones..... see above.

That's only a very few low end models.
The bulk of the range is still Japanese designed, global Panasonic made models.

Done with thread....

Noble372

Standard Member
I work for Sony in Currys have done for 5 years, We had a Panasonic rep two years ago, Before the first lockdown he got a call and nearly all Panasonic reps were made redundant in Currys along with this the Panasonic bay got turned in to Phillips, We went from selling 20 Panasonic oleds a week to 0 and this year we are not even ranged for Panasonic not a single JZ series on the shop floor as they stopped paying Currys to be ranged in stores, Any customer who comes in for Panasonic now walks out with a Sony or LG or maybe a Samsung where as before they would have walked out with a pana, they have gone from selling 300 TVs in a year in are store with a rep and floor space to 0 without a rep and TVs on display, crazy what a difference this makes.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Any customer who comes in for Panasonic now walks out with a Sony or LG or maybe a Samsung
Can I correct that statement, well for me anyway :-

If thatsnotmynaim comes in for Panasonic he now walks out and goes elsewhere….

Noble372

Standard Member
Can I correct that statement, well for me anyway :-

If thatsnotmynaim comes in for Panasonic he now walks out and goes elsewhere….
Haha yeah but customers who normally care about TVs and browse forums rarely come in to store, they buy online sadly the %99 of customers have no idea, or do not think about going else where, sometimes I tell customers to go to John Lewis and I always say Panasonic are great, are LG rep tells people they suck and LG oled is the best, he gets a lot of money if he sells a LG oled or nano, I do not care as I do not get commission and try to give unbiased advice, even though my job is to sell Sony I own a gz2000 😂

sometimesuk

Standard Member
I work for Sony in Currys have done for 5 years, We had a Panasonic rep two years ago, Before the first lockdown he got a call and nearly all Panasonic reps were made redundant in Currys along with this the Panasonic bay got turned in to Phillips, We went from selling 20 Panasonic oleds a week to 0 and this year we are not even ranged for Panasonic not a single JZ series on the shop floor as they stopped paying Currys to be ranged in stores, Any customer who comes in for Panasonic now walks out with a Sony or LG or maybe a Samsung where as before they would have walked out with a pana, they have gone from selling 300 TVs in a year in are store with a rep and floor space to 0 without a rep and TVs on display, crazy what a difference this makes.
Hi mate,

Do you and other staff in store identify (have a badge, tell people upfront) that you work for the manufacturer not the retailer?

I can understand staff on commission to sell products, But if you work for the manufacturer, and your on the shop floor generally, I find that morally wrong and misleading .

No criticism at you but explains the display setup in my local stores. Samsung must earn a fortune.

Noble372

Standard Member
Hi mate,

Do you and other staff in store identify (have a badge, tell people upfront) that you work for the manufacturer not the retailer?

I can understand staff on commission to sell products, But if you work for the manufacturer, and your on the shop floor generally, I find that morally wrong and misleading .

No criticism at you but explains the display setup in my local stores. Samsung must earn a fortune.
So general store staff do not get commission of any kind who work for the store direct, they get targeted only on selling insurance with these TVs so they try to avoid customers

The LG reps are the worst as they do earn commission they will tell you to buy a 48a1 over a CX because they do not get commission on last years models and they will sell nano cells knowing how bad they are or sell a customer an oled if it is going outside or in a glass house, they will even tell customers that they just advice in LG if asked do you work for them.

Sony reps like me do not get commission we have a weekly target, We will generally give you more honest advice due to this, I have even told people to go to another store that sell Panasonic and buy there TV there, but hey Sony are the best in are store as we do not sell pana and if people have a glass house I will sell them full array and I sold all of my last years models as they were great value unlike LG.

Samsung reps get commission if they sell neo qleds, they will ask every customer if there are windows in there room then say you need qled as oled can not cope and then bang on about there 10 burn in warranty.

All reps wear lanyards and shirts saying are brands on in plain big text, most customers though do not even notice though.

Last edited:

mikej

Thanks for the insight. When you extrapolate out those figures to every Currys store in the UK, that could account for hundreds of thousands of lost Panasonic TV sales from in-store visits and I doubt that every one of those potential customers would buy the same set elsewhere or even via Currys online.

I get that employing people (Panasonic reps in this case) costs companies a lot of money and I also appreciate that setting up flashy, dedicated manufacturer displays in stores costs too, but I'm surprised to hear that companies have to pay the likes of Currys to simply have their models out on a shelf - that's a concept I wasn't aware of.

FWIW, I don't personally make big TV purchases from places like Currys, but I know plenty of people who do. Presumably Panasonic have done the sums and they simply don't add up, but my concern is that this will only decrease their market share as far as TV sales in the UK goes and I'd personally quite like Panasonic to still be around when I next upgrade ! Time will tell whether this cost-saving exercise works for them, I guess.

jamzieee

Standard Member
Just found this thread. Visited our local Currys back in January and expressed interest in a Panasonic OLED. The lady I spoke basically point blank told me not to buy Panasonic, but either a Samsung, or possibly a Philips...wasn't a good sales pitch!

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
Panasonic is pretty the TV for the older gen, someone who wants easy to use no faff smart systems, It's a shame but I work in an indi store and sell very few Panas now even with ranging them, LG/Sony/Samsung are just better at pretty much everything these days.

Would love to range Philips but we don't have access.

If the new TV's which are outsourced are as poor as the 800 range I'm not sure I would be happy recommending to anyone, We've had quite a few issues with backlights failing and Pana denying it's an issue up until now, but even then they only cover certain models.

mikej

For me, image quality was always Panasonic's strength and the main reason for choosing them.

Diehard58

Novice Member
Just found this thread. Visited our local Currys back in January and expressed interest in a Panasonic OLED. The lady I spoke basically point blank told me not to buy Panasonic, but either a Samsung, or possibly a Philips...wasn't a good sales pitch!
The only place i could see the JZ1500 and the JZ1000 was John Lewis their had both 65ins tv Hard to pick which one i liked both of them

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
The only place i could see the JZ1500 and the JZ1000 was John Lewis their had both 65ins tv Hard to pick which one i liked both of them
If you watch a lot of hdr then go for the brighter 1500 if not the 1000 will be fine

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom