1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TV's and NTSC (RGB) banding

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ged, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a problem with a Pioneer DVD player and the reported banding.
    Although this new TV is a Samsung LCD, the problem has returned, the original TV worked OK.

I am worried that most cheap players are built around the same chipset and regardless of brand GUI are basically the same player.

As price becomes an issue are all cheap players essentially the same?

I would like to know if anyone has a cheap player with RGB scart not showing the banding problem.

I do not want a Sony as the layer change is slow and -R compatability is poor, any ideas?

Ged

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I got a freebie Sony DVP-NS355 with my Sony TV - while I don't use it as my primary player YET (because it has no multi-region capability out of the box), it does have exceptionally fast layer changing - haven't tested it for -R compatibility tho (I use +Rs myself).

I say I don't use it much yet because I presently have a Pioneer that seems to have caused endless interference problems with my TV ;-) yet the Sony doesn't. Soon as I sort out a multi-region upgrade for my player the Pioneer will be relegated to the bedroom I think.

M;.

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Mike,

I eventually took the Samsung back as I wasn't impressed and had the option of a refund.

I ended up with a Yamaha S550, which is made in Hungary but still had the issues, though less so in converted PAL mode.

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I get the feeling if you're using an LCD TV you should probably invest in a DVD player with a signal stronger than RGB - presumably your LCD set has component inputs? It might be worth exploring this avenue rather than trying to beat blood out of a stone with RGB.

M;.