Panasonic TV, BR & HT with V+

Higgo

Bear with me, I'm new to this and some of the kit isn't here yet (maybe it'll be obvious when it's sat in front of me)

We have a Panasonic P37X10 TV, BD35 Blu-Ray and a PT460 'Home Theatre' system as well as a V+ box. There is not TV aerial in the room so all TV comes through the V+. The PT460 is a bit of a stop-gap and we may well go for separates as/when we can afford it.

The TV has three HMDI sockets, two on the back, one on the side. V+ has one HMDI out and one optical audio out.

I'm assuming I connect the BD35 and PT460 to the TV by HMDI. I'll connect the V+ optical audio out to the PT460.

Question 1: What connection do I need to make between the BD35 and the PT460 to get surround sound when watching Blu-ray?

Question 2: Can I get an HMDI lead with a 90deg head on it for the socket on the side of the TV?

Question 3: Will it all work together?

Question 4: The Blu-ray player will be quite close to my wireless router. I've heard of other people connecting it BR to the internet - what would that do for me?

Question 5: What else have I forgotten? (bound to be something!)

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Question 1: What connection do I need to make between the BD35 and the PT460 to get surround sound when watching Blu-ray?

You will need optical. I presume that the 460 only has one optical input. If it does, you will need a 3 way manual optical switch or a toslink splitter. The splitter should work okay providing only one source is on at a time either the V+ or the BD35.

Question 2: Can I get an HMDI lead with a 90deg head on it for the socket on the side of the TV?

Have you googled it? I know you can get a 90 deg adaptor LINK

Question 3: Will it all work together?

Should do, provided you buy the switch.

Question 4: The Blu-ray player will be quite close to my wireless router. I've heard of other people connecting it BR to the internet - what would that do for me?

Firmware updates (useful), BD Live (not so useful :D)

Higgo

You will need optical. I presume that the 460 only has one optical input. If it does, you will need a 3 way manual optical switch or a toslink splitter. The splitter should work okay providing only one source is on at a time either the V+ or the BD35.

Just a thought but, to avoid messing about with splitters/switches, would it be a better compromise to:
  • use the optical in on the SC-PT460 for the blu-ray player
  • connect the sound from the V+ box to the SC-PT460 by 'old style' stereo leads
I realise this is a compromise but plan to have proper AV separates before either Virgin V+ has a lot of DD5.1 material or the majority of blu-ray doscs have only DTS sound.

Will the SC-PT460 create simulated 5.1 from the stereo input?

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom