1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TV and issues with NTSC signals/R1 discs (Problems ?)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pentasa, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Pentasa

Pentasa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After looking at a few different threads in this forum I've noticed that people with Panasonic TV's seem to have problems when it comes to playing R1 discs , lines or shadows seem to appear in the background

There reason for this post is my Dad has just bought a Panasonic TX-32PL10 TV which is coupled with a Sony DVP-S735

R2 discs play fine on it absolutley lovely picture on the TV

But play a R1 disc on it and problems occur there are shadows or vertical lines running the length of the the picture , We've had a Panasonic engineer in twice to look at the set and he says there are compatibility problems between my Dad's TV and DVD player ??

So just wondering anyone else heard of this problem or has anyone else had problems with Panasonic TV's and R1/NTSC discs ??

2. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Assuming you are using RGB,i would try S-Video,as that will solve the problem.I think.

3. Pentasa

Pentasa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its S-Video I'm using , I'm going to try a friends DVD player with the TV to see if it is my Dad's player that is the problem

4. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

This forum is wonderful. I recently bought a 32PL1 and have the same ghosting problem on all DVD's especially on menu screens. I spoke to guy today in a local retailer and he has the same problem. I use a Playstation 2 for games and DVD and it ghosts on both uses.

This is the second set I have had and it did it on both, but I sent the first one back because the screen is covered (inside) with a green/ blue haze (like oil mixed with water). I got the other one and it is exactly the same - this shows when switched off. The image clarity is poor on this set though, and looks like there is dust and stuff on the inside of the set.

I read an article recently on the web and it says that this problem occurs on Plasma and LCD TV's due to dirt getting on tube/ display surface at the time of manufacture.

Incidentally the retailer took a £100 deposit off me because they dispatched a TV to me without getting the other back first to check for the fault. This fine, but they now tell me that they cannot see the fault and I presume (when I get them on the phone) that they will want to keep the £100 as courier costs.

I am of course not going to have this and want to check my rights as a consumer and hopefully switch televisions altogether. Also, Panasonic customer services did not recognise the fault and told me to return the set to retailer.

Cheers mate,
    Blackspeech

5. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe the fault you describe is called moire patterning which the last 3 panasonics i have owned suffered from i ended up moving to sony as panasonic were unable to cure it and yes they are aware of it and it only happens with R1 discs

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem has the plumber says is moire. Most Panasonic widescreens and many other widescreens suffer from this when in NTSC mode. The only known fix is a slight defocus of the tube which I don't personally want because it will defocus the picture slightly in all modes. The only other alternative is to get a DVD player that can convert the NTSC stream to PAL and I don't think the Sony can do that.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news panasonic tv i had same problems used a modified all region toshiba dvd player and perfect sharp pictures seems it has problems with certain brands of dvd player so get urself a tosh

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FoxyMulder: I have got a modified Tosh but it won't convert NTSC to PAL so I still get the problem. I agree great pin sharp picture with PAL stuff but no change in NTSC mode for me. What Tosh have you got?

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both a toshiba SD2109 and a Toshiba Sd220 multi region latest firmware work fine with this tv and pictures look stunning i don't believe the problem was moire patterning as some have said but more to do with certain brands of dvd players

10. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used a tosh 520 and 510 and still had the same problem after weeks of trying to sort it out via the service engineers and toshiba direct it was diagnosed as moire patterning by toshiba and no cure available other than defocussing the pic which i wasnt happy about so i changed to a toshiba tv and no problems so far i have also tried my dvd player on my mates sony fs70 and no problems there either.