Panasonic TV ad today ?

lauraeva

Standard Member
Just after the World Cup match Panasonic advertised a range of Blue-Ray recorders with either Freeview HD or Freesat tuners, implying you could record broadcast HD content onto Blue-Ray DVD.

Is this really true, and would the finallised Blue-Ray disc be playable in any Blue-Ray player ???

I thought there was encoding and deterrents (like lack of a compatible USB connection) preventing you making use of HD material you recorded on most HD PVRs, and playing it back on any other platform, such as a PC ...

I want a HD recorder mainly to archive the odd TV drama series and music programmes, and thought that at best a PVR like Foxsat HD would only let me replay stuff I'd decanted onto an external hard drive through the same machine.

So would these Panasonic recorders do it for me, and would there be any way I could transfer the recorded Blue-Ray disc content to my PC hard drive, to watch on my PC through a media player without having to carry the discs ?

Lots of tech questions, and would be grateful for any advice ...

Gavtech

Administrator
Just after the World Cup match Panasonic advertised a range of Blue-Ray recorders with either Freeview HD or Freesat tuners, implying you could record broadcast HD content onto Blue-Ray DVD.

Is this really true, and would the finallised Blue-Ray disc be playable in any Blue-Ray player ???

I thought there was encoding and deterrents (like lack of a compatible USB connection) preventing you making use of HD material you recorded on most HD PVRs, and playing it back on any other platform, such as a PC ...

I want a HD recorder mainly to archive the odd TV drama series and music programmes, and thought that at best a PVR like Foxsat HD would only let me replay stuff I'd decanted onto an external hard drive through the same machine.

So would these Panasonic recorders do it for me, and would there be any way I could transfer the recorded Blue-Ray disc content to my PC hard drive, to watch on my PC through a media player without having to carry the discs ?

Lots of tech questions, and would be grateful for any advice ...

The answer to your first question is yes - it is true.

However, it is a feature of HD material, built into it since it's inception that the core HD material cannot be transported across different platforms.
A number of systems are in place to prevent it being otherwise.

You CAN take bluray disc and play it elsewhere of course... but the way it is recorded can impact on that... and for more information on that you should see the compatibility thread which is probably still near the top of the threads list.
[ If not Ill provide a link later]

Most material can be manipulated to be dealt with in other ways. It is only HD movement which is restricted.

HD can be downgraded to Mid-D [ classified as SD but actually of a better quality ] which is probably more than adequate for portable devices which do not require HD quality.

More information on the range of recorders you mentioned available here.

Gavtech

Administrator
Compatibility thread is here.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom