Panasonic TV 24p Smooth Film

tonka01

Standard Member
Hi,

Ive just bought a Panasonic TX-37DT30B and was wondering whether its worth turning the 24p smooth film feature on or not.

My understanding of all this so far is 24p is the equivalent to 24Hz? And with 24p smooth motion turned on to max its set at 96Hz?

The TV itself has a maximum refresh rate of 400Hz available with the Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC). Would it be better just to keep this on all the time and never bother with 24p smooth film then? As 400Hz will always be better than 96Hz.

I was trying out different settings whilst watching Avatar in 3D, it was a chase scene in the jungle. And to be honest when I switched the 24p smooth film onto the max setting, the motion of the picture was much better than anything else, including IFC.

What are peoples thought on this topic?
Thanks.

StevieBuck

I don’t think you’ve understood the OP’s question. 24p Smooth Film is a video processing option on the TV that applies smoothing to 24p signals – it doesn’t enable or disable 24p playback.

I’ve never been a fan of this kind of processing. I always think the “smooth” playback looks very artificial, so always leave that kind of option turned off.

It really comes down to personal choice what you set these options at. The only time I’d definitely recommend turning IFC off is if you do any gaming. This, as well as some of the other video processing options, can increase the input lag. The TV’s game preset/display mode is normally optimised for decreasing input lag, so its normally best just to use that.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Generally the opinion is that on Panasonics this option should be set to "off". This does not mean that the TV is not displaying 24p - it does!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I don’t think you’ve understood the OP’s question. 24p Smooth Film is a video processing option on the TV that applies smoothing to 24p signals – it doesn’t enable or disable 24p playback.

I’ve never been a fan of this kind of processing. I always think the “smooth” playback looks very artificial, so always leave that kind of option turned off.

It really comes down to personal choice what you set these options at. The only time I’d definitely recommend turning IFC off is if you do any gaming. This, as well as some of the other video processing options, can increase the input lag. The TV’s game preset/display mode is normally optimised for decreasing input lag, so its normally best just to use that.
Indeed oops sorry.:facepalm: I'd not add this form of processing myself to films ether. I use IFC on my plasma for normal TV viewing(on a medium setting), works great with sport, but prefer films to be as theyre shot.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom