1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TUCTH100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Sooty, May 27, 2005.

1. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi is anyone using one of these freeview PVRs, Panasonic TUCTH100? I have just been looking at them on the web and you can get them for about £230.00.
    Are they any good? can I record off the harddrive onto a standalone DVD Recorder?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Are they any good? Well featured, very slow to operate, and riddled with bugs. The User Interface is poorly designed, in my view and the EPG is complex to use. Mine had a recuurrent tendency to lock up at 04:05 in the morning (requiring mains disconnection to reset), meaning that you simply couldn't rely on it to make timed recordings. After 5 weeks, I got a refund. There is a software update promised for June (IIRC) which may or may not improve matters.

HDD >> DVD Recorder Yes. As with any Freeview PVR, all you need to do is connect the two together with (say) a SCART cable, hit play on the one, and record on the other. What you can't dio is record anything on the PVR, except Freeview.

Alternatives: The Humax single tuner machine is extremely reliable and easy to use, but is extremely basic in features. With the software currently in mine, playback of recorded material is in mono, but I believe this is fixed in a new version and I'm just waiting for it to be broadcast again.

There is a Humax twin promised for later this year.

Many people praise the "Topfield". Looking deeper into certain forums indicates that this all singing, all dancing, twin tuner box, is not without its issues and bugs, even with the latest software. It may be transmitter dependent.

And then there's the Inverto. Those that have had early models have reported almost unqualified excellence. Mainstream release is delayed, and they are now expected in the stores, 2nd week in June. Possibly insufficient real world experience to judge yet, but early signs are good, it seems.

Also rans: Digifusion twin tuner - has a tendency to wipe the entire contents of it's hard drive. New model imminent. Version on sale in Dixons (etc) has a small hard drive. Argos have the same thing with a bigger (80gb) HDD.

and Thomson - I can't remember what the known bugs with this were.

3. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LV426 for your quick reply I will probably wait until the freeview DVD Recorders are released later this year and make my mind up then?