Panasonic TUCTH100 - Will record external RGB!?!

cerebros

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Panasonic have now put specs of this Freeview recorder on their website.

Of particular interest is that the specs say "RGB input for recording" :eek:

If true this is a turn-up for the books since no other Freeview PVR records from an external source. Does anyone know if this is definitely a confirmed function, not just an error? Otherwise, barring the inclusion of DVD recording, this would appear to be the best option yet for Freeview PVR's....

It also has an 80Gb and not the 40Gb which was mentioned before.

To be honest, for me I don't think a HD of over 40GB is much of a bonus... Can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to timeshift 20 hours worth of recordings.

Yes I can just about get by with 20 hours on SKY+ and would have no problems with that capacity on a Freeview recorder.
I find the inclusion of "RGB input for recording" to be very dubious, the site fails to mention and specs for recording such as the codec, variable compression etc all of which you would expect.

This STB does interest me though, the combination of future proof recording capacity, HD recording and an optical connection marks this above the current crop in my mind. I honestly expected to have a HD Freeview box this time last year but with delayed supply and quite simply the spotty performace/reviews I have stayed away. I may have to bite the bullet and buy this STB unless it's launch is dragged out even further, they really shouldn't annouce products with such long lead times.

cerebros said:
Panasonic have now put specs of this Freeview recorder on their website.

Of particular interest is that the specs say "RGB input for recording" :eek:

If true this is a turn-up for the books since no other Freeview PVR records from an external source. Does anyone know if this is definitely a confirmed function, not just an error? Otherwise, barring the inclusion of DVD recording, this would appear to be the best option yet for Freeview PVR's....

I may be wrong but as I understood it none of the DTT PVR's record from an external source because the extra de-coders etc would push them into a considerably higher price bracket. It would therefore be quite a feat for Panasonic to have done this. It would (I think) mean that one of these combined with an old ITV Digital box could record TopUP TV or record Sky channels with an ordinary Sky box. i.e. (if you wanted to).
Perhaps it is just an error or just means RGB input from its own tuners to its hard disk; although this would hardly seem worth mentioning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom