Panasonic TUCTH100 PVR is here at last or not!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sheridan2000, Mar 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sheridan2000

sheridan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    here

do my eyes deceive me am i dreaming...please somebody wake me up!!

2. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a safe bet that the website is very much mistaken.
    Panasonic seem to think the product hasn't launched yet, so....... :thumbsdow

3. Dave Cawley

Dave Cawley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good, does it have a top up reader ?

Dave

4. sheridan2000

sheridan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    no top up reader

5. Dave Cawley

Dave Cawley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And no S video either ? I'll stick to my Humax ???

Dave

6. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A lot of sites say they will sell it but in some small print they also say subject to availability, which means you get it when they do.

7. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They could well have them in stock. Panasonic have said that we will DEFINATELY be getting them in April so it looks promising!

The thing does exist...i touched one sometime last year!

8. sheridan2000

sheridan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hey why did this topic dissappear...still i see from another forum that the release is true so should start to see reviews any time now.

9. rgc_911

rgc_911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gave up waiting for the Panasonic (since before Xmas) - bought the Fusion - had it a month, during which it deleted everything on it 3 times (before I watched it obviously).

This made it useless - you ended up watching stuff live, in case it was gone in the morning!

Great feature set, program guide mostly excellent (a few niggles), twin tuners, lovely, play something else back as well, but the software is clearly not up to consumer electronics standards.

Hopefully the Panasonic will be worth the wait

Cookie

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    I just picked mine up today. It's connected and I've been playing with it for an hour or so.

First impressions (that's all they are)

PQ good
    SQ good
    Software seems a little bit slow to react. eg pressing channel up takes a couple of seconds.

Claimed features (not all verified/tested by me)

Can record 1 channel, watch another. Can record 2 different channels at the same time (or overlapping events) AND watch something already on the HDD.

No card slot.

No different compression settings - just stores the bitstream as received. 80gb HDD gives (they say) about 45hrs storage.

Can edit recorded programmes - eg to skip sections (like ads) or even fully delete them.

Can pause live TV. Can rewind live TV.

There's no option (as far as I can see) to automatically extend programmed recording times (to cater for late running) which was a thoughtful feature on the (otherwise junk) Pace Twin.

More when I have it.....

11. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame about the lack of any automatic timer extension. I don't anticipate Panasonic adding anything to this box after launch so this is unlikely to change.

LV426, any chance of a screenshot of the EPG? Is it like the TU-CT30 version (only one channel's listings visible at any one time)?

Also, is the box a full-width component (43cm)? What are its dimensions? And how noisy is it?

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with these questions. Feel free to ignore them and enjoy your new purchase. :)

Cheers

12. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    And can you tell us who you got it from 'cause stock still seems low/non-existent?
    Regards
    Ian
    :thumbsup:

13. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought of another important question (for me, anyway). Does the box do line-23 WSS signalling? I'd be feeding mine through my amp using s-video so SCART-only switching would be no good for me.

14. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We were meant to recieve loads yesterday, but due to pre-delivery water damage we could only accept 1! Grr, very annoying!

15. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question from a PVR novice.

Is it possible to connect up a NTL cable box to the TUCTH100 and record something from the cable box onto the TUCTH100 hard disk?

I know I can just go out and get Sky+ but as I have cable I was just wondering if it was possible.

16. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not possible with the TU-CTH100, I'm afraid. None of the current crop of Freeview DVRs (except for Sony's RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder) has an MPEG encoder and so cannot accept analogue signals from other sources.

17. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Just ordered mine from Discount Electrical (Benji's company). Delivery tomorrow with a bit of luck. Will post after I've had a play.

18. LeeJS

LeeJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread so ignore it in the Topfield one!

I'm keen to know how this measures up to my trusty Tivo in terms of the UI. I've been holding off on a DVR until the Panasonic was out because I assumed it would be the best of the bunch.

Can someone who has one confirm support for the following:

Bookmarks
    Resume playback from last watched point
    auto or manual Timer padding
    Number of timers
    Repeat timers

Cheers!

Lee.

19. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got mine today so there's at least 2 of them out there !

20. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    any chance of a screenshot of the EPG?no :)
    Is it like the TU-CT30 version (only one channel's listings visible at any one time)?yes
    Also, is the box a full-width component (43cm)? no
    What are its dimensions? w350mm d253mm h65mm - about the same as the Pace junk - sorry - twin.
    And how noisy is it? tiny amount of disc whine, not much else
    And can you tell us who you got it from 'cause stock still seems low/non-existent? shop@panasonic in Sheffield
    Does the box do line-23 WSS signalling? don't know - it's SCART connected. I'll see if I can work it out and get back to you
    Is it possible to connect up a NTL cable and record something from the cable box onto the TUCTH100 hard disk? Nope. Only what it receives via Freeview.
    Bookmarks described in the manual; not tried it yet, but assume yes
    Resume playback from last watched point described in the manual; not tried it yet, but assume yes
    auto or manual Timer padding manual; no auto
    Number of timers not specified
    Repeat timers described in the manual; not tried it yet, but assume yes

21. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Cheers Nigel
    Regards
    Ian

22. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn! That's a very serious problem, as far as I'm concerned. What a pain to use! Looks like I'll be waiting for the Humax now.

Thanks for the info.

23. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    Update:
    Does the box do line-23 WSS signalling? yes, proved via Svideo
    Bookmarks described in the manual confirmed
    Resume playback from last watched point described in the manual confirmed. In fact, if you've part-watched something, then stopped, if you press the "play" button (from watching live TV) it automatically brings up the recorded programme you were watching, at the point where you left it - i.e. without having to go into the list and select it. You can do the latter as well.

It's also always buffering the last (so many) minutes of live TV, so you can always rewind live TV. The amount of buffer is set by you in the menu. Default = 15 mins, settable in 15 minute increments (don't remember what the maximum is).

EPG, once initially loaded (which, they say, takes 20 minutes) is very quick to use, always. Unlike the "Twin". It would be nice if the EPG showed you which programmes you've already selected to record. It doesn't.

I've now watched two recordings. There was an insignificant bit of pixellation on one of them, but I don't know where this originated. One of these recordings was made while I (deliberately)
    - switched the box off and on
    - changed channels
    - looked at the epg
    - accessed the disc directory
    - played a bit of something else already recorded
    ...and so on. i.e. trying to confuse it with possible "normal" user actions. Failed to confuse it completely.

The software is, sometimes, very slow to react, but eventually it always (so far at least) seems to do what it's supposed to, and properly.

24. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How many hours recording can the HDD store?

25. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rule of thumb is approximately half an hour per GB, so an 80GB HDD would give you about 40 hours of recording time.

26. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have just installed mine, and encountered a problem.It tells me BBC2 is 16:9 but cuts off either side of the picture. All other stations appear to be OK.If I then change the ratio to 4:3 on BBC2 it gives me widescreen but changes all other stations to 4:3......can't think I've done anything wrong, my Digifusion was fine with this setup ( Panasonic 32" Vierra TV,Panasonic EMS 10 DVD recorder, with the PVR hooked directly in to the DVD Recorder via RGB then thru to the TV)

27. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have tried the Panasonic customer help line a few times - 0800 1693012.Takes you thru the options then just cuts you off. And I thought Phillips was useless.

28. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spoke to Unbeatable - they're taking it back.Said they'd had a few calls this morning with problems with the machine.Spoke eventually to Panasonic - said it was a problem,they have no machines, very limited release at the moment,send it ack to dealer.
    Hope the next batch don't have these problems or I'll be sticking to digifusion

29. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    AAAAAAAAARGH. I was just about to order one.Is there nothing on this planet that works properly? ( Sorry,just payed silly money for a new cooker element-it doesn't work either.Another weekend of carryouts)

30. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Just got mine and been playing with it for the last two hours.

I had a Humax pvr before, it crashed without fail every single time it was turned on - the signal quality would drop from 100% to 10% or zero and the picture would freeze.

Best thing about the Panasonic is that, unlike my Humax, it works.
    The picture and sound quality are both fine. I've made one recording so far and that was perfect. It is easy to set the recorder and you can alter both start and finish times as well as set daily, weekly, mon-sat etc recordings but there are all sorts of other little niggles with it.

Most irritating is the speed of the response to the remote control, very slow. I thought at first it was faulty or that I'd put the batteries in the wrong way, no it's just unresponsive.

The 2nd scart is only composite or s-vhs, no RGB, so if you want to transfer something best quality to dvd you'll have to unplug the tv scart.

Third thing I don't like is that if you set up a favourite channels option (necessary so you don't have to scroll through all the rubbish channels) you have to be very careful how you change channels. If you use the little rocker control - the one that allows you to go up and down channels one at a time then it stays tuned into your favourite channel list. But if you use the direct number keys ( pushing 1 for BBC1, 2 for BBC2 etc) then it automaticaly drops out of your favourite channels list. It wouldn't be so bad if getting back your favourite channels list was easy but it's the slowest most recalcitrant control of all. It takes ages, prodding a little blue button that half the time doesn't respond at all.

The EPG does only show 1 channel and one day at a time, it is quite quick in it's operation but it isn't very intuitive in how you use it. It's ok, I expect I'll get used to it but it's overdesigned, complicated and counterintuitive. It's inferior to the Humax epg interface. It simply isn't in the same ball park as the Sky epg interface. That's an understatement. It's appalling in comparison to the Sky one.

The machine does have the capability to have system updates over the air.
    It needs them. Essentialy this is a very sound machine that needs a bit, actualy rather a lot, more work on it's user interface. Heaven only knows what they've been doing whilst it was so delayed in coming out.

Actualy it might be possible to work it out as it came with two instruction books- one had a label on the front saying that it was a replacement for the other. The new one is badly printed and looks like it was done in a hurry. I might go through them to see what the differences are.