1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TUCT20 - Reception Issues

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by DJBenz, Aug 31, 2005.

1. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hoping someone has had a similar experience and can maybe shine some light on this. I have a Panasonic TUCT20 FV receiver, hooked up to a digital aerial which has an integrated powered signal booster. The reception strength shown on the tuning menu is 7-9 for all channels. PQ is excellent.

However, when watching FV there are frequent high pitched pops, squeaks and sound break up as well as pixellation, dropped frames and picture freezing. Normally, the audio goes out of synch during one of these fits and only changing the channel on the FV box will reset it. This makes it extremely frustrating when recording broadcasts from FV as an hour-long program is almost guaranteed to be out of synch by the end.

So, any ideas what it may be? It seems to happen on the lower strength channels but 7 is still quite strong for reception strength. The aerial installer said it was the best signal quality he'd seen in a "low signal area" (freeview.co.uk says that the service isn't available in my area).

Thanks for any feedback.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    DJ - I've had one of these receivers for over a year and never experienced any sound sync problems with it at all. I live in a fairly good reception area, but it works from a short aerial in the loft with an amp. I guess reception might be your problem. Sig strength on mine is usually 7- 9. Only problem I have is that when it is set to 4:3, for a small bedroom tv, it seems that ITV2 and 3 remain in their 'squashed ' state. It sorts out every other widescreen channel OK. This is quite an old unit. I do not know if some freeview boxes work better than others in poor signal areas. As it is I'm very happy with it. It is a rarity in that it has an RF modulated output for my non-Scart tv.

3. hs77

hs77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats definately a signal strength issue- forget about the indicators they are usually wrong. Its also worth noting that signal boosters dont help digital signals in the same way they do analogue ones i.e they are useless.
    In what way is your ariel digital? Is it an indoor one or attached to the roof?

4. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's an outdoor one. When it was being set up it didn't get a signal at all without the power supply connected into the loop. The power supply is plugged in downstairs and the aerial lead passes through it (I guess that's what powers the booster on the aerial itself). Looks like my only option is to move house or wait until Freeview improve their coverage. :(