1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic tubes in Philips P+

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by greenthumb, Jun 27, 2002.

1. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi after reading about the panasonic tau tubes being put in to the Philips 9617, I decided to give Philips a ring and find out their version. Apparently, so the guy says, only the 9607 contains the cyber tube. The 9617 and 9527 use the Panny. He did stress that although Panasonic make the tubes they are made to specific Philips specifications and that Panasonic only manafacture them. I think this guy had answered this question before,as he was ready with answers. He also stressed that there is no difference in peformance and that it is no secret that manufacturers share parts. When I asked if any future sets would contain the cyber tube, he replied with a "dont think so"
    So, does anyone else know any different? Will we see the Cyber tube again? Is it superior? Do you think he was fibbing?

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Panasonic CRT's are Panasonic's own design and are identical to the ones used in their own TV sets. I have confirmed this by checking out the type numbers. Philips are not directly involved in their design unless they license part of their technology to Panasonic. From what I can tell, they don't.

It's funny Philips are still trying to get away with this as there are obvious visual differences between the CRT's - the heavy internal curvature on the Quintrix F is proof enough.

If it was made to unique Philips specifications, why would it look different? Why would several hundred people start complaining at the same time they got Panasonic CRT's in their Philips sets, within weeks after the new batches were delivered? And why would Philips cover up the CRT stickers with the chassis stickers unless they have something to hide?

The CRT's are electrically compatible, but that is all. That is only of interest to the engineers, not to us.

I agree with him on one thing though; I don't think Philips will start using Cybertubes in the sets that currently have Quintrix F's.

The Cybertube's interior face is way flatter than the Quintrix F, and has much better white uniformity and different focus behaviour. The Quintrix F has slightly finer dot pitch. The Cybertube HD that Philips originally suggested would be used in the Pixel Plus sets should be better than the Quintrix F in every respect. I don't know if it's the Cybertube HD they use in the 9607.

3. queneau

queneau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm well and truely confused! The response from Philips regarding the 9527 was that the Philips tube would be used when the product was launched (see the news item 'Philips goes on record about the use of Panasonic tubes' dated May 2nd).

Now it appears that the Panny tube is to be used according to the guy from Philips. What's going on? I was specifically waiting for the launch of the 9527 because it was to be fitted with the Cybertube.

4. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Your confused? I too also thought the 9527 would contain the cyber tube. I wish I had a bit more technical know how when I asked the guy the questions as I think he was hiding something.
    Maybe someone who knows their stuff could grill the guys at Philips and get some proper answers. Now I dont know what bloody telly to buy. Im sure it wasnt this difficult last time I bought one.:confused: :confused:

5. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that Philips may have a yield problem at their tube factory.

I phoned Philips this morning and got the run-around from the Care Centre. I then asked to be put through to somebody who knew what they were talking about and was passed to a 'product manager'. He told me that they were shipping the 32pw9527 with a mixture of Panny and Cyber tubes in order to get product onto the shelves. I was then subjected to a diatribe on how you couldn't tell the difference between the two tubes! Having pointed out the findings of this forum and the fact that the press release clearly stated that the 9527 would be shipped with the Cyber tube he went very defensive and told me to contact Philips' press office. He said: "We are only the help desk you need to contact Philips". I thought that was what I was doing!!

Looks like a call to Trading Standards is needed.......

Brian

6. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems VERY strange as Philips don't make a 36" cybertube as yet AFIAK.

So far all the UK P+ sets I've seen have the Panny tube ( centre markings visible ) in them , irrespective of size.

Andy

7. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that ALL 28" 9617's contain a Cybertube wheras ALL the 32" ones (and the 9607) have a Quintrix effort... at least that was the general concensus the last time this topic was raised.

I do know for sure that my 28" 9617 has a Cybertube in it and other members of this site have confirmed that their 28" set has a Cybertube also. I've never heard of a single person claiming to have a 32" 9617 or a 36" 9607 equipped with a Cybertube, so I think it's very likely that NO current 32/36" P+ models use Cybertubes.

I repeat though, the 28" version does come equipped with the proper tube! (that fact just never seems to sink in!!). If you've seen a 28" one with a Panny tube, or a 32/36" one with a Cybertube then feel free to put me straight...

8. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a very interesting post in the July 'What Video & TV' mag entitled: 'Is Philips being dishonest?'. In it, a hapless punter has just found out that the 32pw9617 has a Panny tube. In response, Philips told WV&TV that the pw9617/9767 models were only supplied with the Panasonic tubes to ensure absolute consistency to the consumer!! It went on to read that: 'When the new 28/32PW9527 Pixel Plus sets are launched in June, we will use the very latest Philips tube across this specific model.'

How can we trust Philips given that they change their story daily?

Brian