1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TU-PT600B Tuner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nrob324, Feb 24, 2005.

1. nrob324

nrob324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it any good?

all i want it for is to connect a dvd and sky system too it

thxs

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No.

Might as well stick the Sky and DVD direct to panel (highly recommend JS RGB to VGA converter for Sky - avoid scart board if poss and run DVD component).

3. nrob324

nrob324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why JS RGB to VGA converter for Sky any reason whjy not into a scart board?

4. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It's quite good...make sure it comes with the input board for your Panny. Watch the price though it varies considerably from £250 to over £400. I believe you can get re - packs for under £250 do a search on Google. :)

5. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Liam.....why the downer on the Panny Scart board..I've used them with Sky and some good quality DVD players with excellent results. I've never seen this 'softness' reported in the forums. :confused:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The scart board adds this really annoying "Softness" to the picture and can feel a bit dull, not quite so noticeable on Sky with the messier looking channels but terrible for DVD (now I've been spoiled I can't use a scart board at all). The Tuner suffers the same issue.

The RGB to VGA avoids the scart board and retains the high quality RGB signal. The Panasonic doesn't allow colour adjustment this way however and the signal it recieves from the JS box is raw unadulterated RGB which can be bright for some (but otherwise fantastic for the rest of us!)

The advantage of the scart board is simplicity which can be more important that ultimate PQ. Automatic widescreen switching is supported and it's very easy to run a scart switcher with a whole bunch of devices attached. Whichever way you go make your choice and get down and enjoy it. Spend too much time on this forum and you will either spend money you really can't afford to or will forever be thinking your system isn't up to scratch!

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hermun - it's not noticeable until you see an identical signal sent using a JS box, or even a cheaper syncblaster, and then you know exactly what you are missing! As always it's very hard to put a feature of a picture into words so I won't even bother. Softness is about the closest word, perhaps even noisy where the edges should be sharp.

If you're nearby (or don't mind paying carriage) I don't mind lending out a syncblaster I have lying around here for you to try. With the blaster you are limited to the cheap cable Keene use to put the thing together and the image is not so accurate as using the JS box, but you will see the difference the scart board makes.

9. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I guess you must always take the SHMBO factor into consideration too. The tuner box has an advantage in that department. :)

Thanks for the offer Liam. I currently have a HTPC connected through the VGA input running XP media centre 2005. Do the additional VGA input boards have the same capabilities as the on board one? (can be used for component etc)
    BTW I am around a mile from Keene here in Derby, do they do anything better?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are missing the point here, not only is the 600 not much cop for PQ, it prevents playing with other toys like PCs, it's pretty clunky to use, and if you were to get the right AV system to start with the SWMBO factor is already built in. I've got a AV amp, a scaler, a DVD and a pace twin freeview in normal use, along with various bits that come and go, my system is set up so my wife and children can operate it. I also have a sophisticated all in one remote, but it's just a toy really, we manage perfectly well without.

11. chaka7862

chaka7862

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not technically adept like me :) , then this is the easiest way to plug everything in with no problems. As Hornydragon points out one on here for £200, a proper bargain!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With your kit you most certainly don't need one, nor would it be technically hard to ditch it, nor would it cost you more than £25, which you could get back by flogging the damn tuner...

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Chaka with your kit the tuner is putting a chokehold on your picture quality. The AX750 will happilly take SVHS (Sky+), component (DVD) and component (XBOX) and blast this all component into the VGA socket on the Pana using a simple 3 RCA to VGA lead. Even the SVHS based Sky+ signal will be equal or better to RGB via the tuner and switching everything via the amp is surely simpler than using a tuner as the audio switches with the video!! For the best get yourself an RGB to VGA box and another VGA input or an RGB to YUV and switch via the amp. I gaurantee you will be a happier man for it or I'll eat my keyboard (again that is - MAW made me eat the last one with the great NEC debate!!).

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As you see I'm right behind you here Liam!

15. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If only I could flog the damn tuner, MAW, if only!

(Yes, I am he who is trying to sell one in the classifieds!) :suicide:

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK toby, I'll shut up for a bit!

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    This is turning into a how much do installers hate the useless Panasonic tuner thread isn't it??? Bloody thing is only ever sold as "simple" because simple retailers and their even simpler sales assistants can just about get to grips with it. I cannot see any other way that using a tuner is simpler than using an AV amp, just the AV amp approach requires some very basic knowledge of video signals that any competent retailer should have no problem helping you with. And why is everybody suddenly buying these 3 year old tuner boxes anyway??? Was someone wearing one at the fashion show last week or something!!

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, Panasonic had a serious promotion on them, of the 'take these and sell them and we'll discount the screens' variety. Not my cup of tea, I haven't enough storage space or a big enough dustbin

19. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Liam, any chance you can shut up as well? Just until I have sold my tuner box anyway! :laugh:

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    ROFLMAO!!

Just seen your post above toby, will keep my big highly opinionated gob shut!!! Enough has been said anyway.

21. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, guys! Its weird, you have both very helpfully answered posts of mine in the past and now I just want you to NOT do the same for someone else and just keep schtum!

I think it might be too late for my tuner now - nrob324 offered me £200 for it in the classifieds thread last night but he seems strangely to have disappeared of the face of the earth. Can't imagine why! :mad:

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ebay it mate or try another forum.............(one wherre they havent a clue;) )

23. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess the reason theyre being flogged is either because...

a) Panasonic have 000's of them, and they're fed up giving them warehouse space

b) Dealers find them a simple all-in deal to bundle them to new plasma consumers

c) The PW8 is coming and it'll have a lot of that stuff as standard, so they gotta go!

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think they wont be compatible with 8 series or a new one will be out with HDMI etc like the Pioneer one (may just drop it completely) and they have a load and are using the tuner + screen deal to shift stock fast and clear it out!

25. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Liam

You are recommending the component in (rather than scart) for better PQ on the Panny but it seems as though these are not available at the moment in uk.

I will have DVD/PS Two/Sky needing to go in to Plasma but only have a Bose Lifestyle System so cannot route through a Amp.

Any ideas as i'm not so knowledgable about Vga?

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    BNC component boards are available aren't they? Bose lifestyle has decent s-video output, so you are OK for that, I think you are best with a scart switch for the other 2, either to scart board, or VGA converter.

27. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks MAW.

Will go and investigate the VGA Converter now as like I said I'm not that knowledgable on this. :confused:

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can get BNC dual slot boards (S-Video and Component, takes two slots) but I think both flavours of standard component board are severely short stocked.

Retro - as per MAW. Nice to avoid scart input altogether if you can, VGA converter for the Sky box and you can also get RGB scart lead for your PS2 and connect that to the back of the Sky box to pass thru the signal.

Steve - the tuner has been around since series 5 (and is the same bloody one) so if they still need to get rid when the 8 comes out I imagine they will just go make the board compatible again!! Must be a stock clearout which makes you wonder what your dealers intentions are when they recommend these things.

29. dave_myth_magic

dave_myth_magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have read this thread and many others in the past couple of months, that several of you have written to with great interest. Your advice helped me a great deal to not make a huge mistake and order a "Tiny" and eventually guided me to a great screen, namely a PW7.... but, yes you guessed it I also bought it with the tuner card and media box!! :thumbsup:

My system only arrived on Wednesday morning this week and I happily spent a very long time (14 hours installing it all (should mention that I am partially disabled, so mobility etc is impaired) However despite all that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was well worth it, as I cannot express my joy of switching it all on for the first time - magnificent!! :smashin:

...Now I am a "Newbie" but I am learning fast and having read all your comments. but particularly "Maws" & Liam@prog AV" comments above, regarding using the Amp, rather than the tuner box - I wondered if you could please advise me on how I could improve my existing set up and roughly what it would cost / how much improvement I would see (One of my other small issues is that I currently seem to have 5 remotes!!). :lease:

Okay I am running a TH -42PW7BX with (dare I say it...the tuner box / tuner card in the plasma) a Denon1705, a Panasonic E55 DVDR, Sky+ and Canton speakers. The SKY+ box and the DVDR are connected to the amp via optical cable. I am using scart RGB for SKY+ to AV1 on the tuner box and scart RGB out of the sky+ into the DVDR. The DVDR is connected to the tuner box via a good quality 3 rca to rca component cable. The terrestrial aerial is plugged into the tuner box as well.

I appreciate what I am about to say is not exactly on this thread, but any help with it would be very much appreciated as I am stumped!! - Right, currently on the E55 I cannot tune in any stations and I cannot even record sky+ as the E55 DVDR cannot find it!! I assume it is either a missing connection / lead or some method of tuning I can't find in the manual...(I was advised that the scart to sky+ should allow me to record Sky+ programs???) Please help??

Thank you all in advance

Dave :)

30. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you Liam.

I guess putting PS Two through the Sky box will also save on a imput into the Plasma.

I believe there is a Vga imput included on the 42hdp7? Is this in the back/front as i realise the xde435 has the Vga imput on the front of the tuner box.

If this is the case i guess only 1 Component imput for DVD is required?

:offtopic: Is the HDMI imput worth getting for the Panny HDP7 for DVD now and Sky HD later?

Thank you in advance