Panasonic TU-DSB40 picture break-up

jrisch

Established Member
Reaction score
My Sky digibox is a 3-year old Panasonic TU-DSB40. It has given excellent service and really pxxxxd of my bro-in-law with it's performance with the EPG and responding to the remote switching channels etc. (he has an Amstrad). I recently replaced the DVD player in the system with a DVD recorder, and since then the Sky picture has repeatedly either broken up into heavy pixellation, or the picture freezes for a while. Powering the Panny off/on seems to rectify the immediate problem.

Has Franc or any others any idea what might be failing? We do live in a high wind area (South Wales), and the picture break-up is similar to a loss of signal, except the Panny doesn't report that.

Would appreciate any ideas, or should I just dump the box?

Regards, John.

Have you recently changed the output from PAL to RGB?
My DSB40 breaks up occansionally on RGB so relegated it to secondary use and kept the DSB30 as the main unit.

I haven't, its always been on RGB, but I'll give it a go on PAL and see if that improves the situation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards, John.

The Panasonic was indeed the best digibox ever so hopefully it won't be the box that is at fault although the recent software updates haven't been kind to Panasoinc models.

The way to test your box is take it to you brother-in-laws and try it on his dish. Also try a force update too.

Cheers, Franc

What happens if you disconnect the DVD recorder?

Thanks for the input, guys. Haven't had a chance to play yet (a round of Christmas parties!), but I routed the VCR out from the digibox through to a spare composite input, and that seems to be showing the same problem. Going to try a temporary box swap with a new digibox at the weekend. Trouble is you might wait hours before the problem shows, or it might happen 3 times in half an hour.

Regards, John.

jrisch, even though you've used a composite scart have you changed the output in the menu?
Sorry if it sounds obvious.

p.s., Franc, how do I do a force update?

Thanks, John.

I have seen this problem a few times on the Panasonic and like I said it is a software fault, only an update to a different software version should cure the problem. So if the version doesn't change then it's a waiting game until it does.

Cheers, Franc

Early days yet, but I followed Franc's instructions on how to do a forced update before I went to work this morning, and so far so good (obviously I've not been watching, but my wife left it on Sky all day, occasionally monitoring, and reports no glitches). So, many thanks, Franc, and I suspect you've saved a very good digibox from being trashed.

Interestingly, the forced update didn't appear to affect the settings, though I reset them to standard and then put them back to what I wanted. It makes me wonder about what is stored where. My current guess is that something in CMOS or whatever Sky remembers with, got corrupted, and the forced update made sure the program was totally replaced.

Roll on Sky+, when the Panny will become a server to my pc.

Thanks, all, for your contributions. I hope it helps others.

Regards, John.

And by the way, I noted the services 4, 5 menu before and after and the OS and EPG are exactly the same. I suspect that occasionally you need an OS refresh, just like Windows!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom