1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TU-DSB31 and decoder box questions....

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by harvy2020, May 10, 2001.

1. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone!

I just got onto the sky bandwagon, and i was given a Panasonic TU-DSB31 decoder box, and the thing on the dish is Grundig I believe.

Anyways I have some queries.....

1) I just checked the settings of my box from the sky menu and had the following values....

Manufacturer: Panasonic
    Model: f2.0.13
    Version: 0F030R
    Serial no: xxxxxxblah blah
    Card no : xxxxxxblah blah
    Operating System Version: 1.2S3Bu
    EPG Software Version: 2.7a.2*

Are these all up to date?? Are your values similar?
    And if not,can I somehow update them??(if I need too)

2) Now my signal strength is always 50% and so is Quality, but it just started raining hard with some thunder (just an hour ago - in Leicester) and my quality just went down to 1/8!!! but strength hasnt changed, and my channels just started getting screwed up, so is this normal or has my installer not put my dish in properly??? Should rain affect the signal quality/strength??

PLEASE NOTE I LIVE IN LEICESTER AND IN A BUNGLOW SO MY DISH IS LOWER THEN NORMAL INSTALLATIONS.

3)The SCART lead provided, should I replace it with a High Quality lead thats OFC and GOLD plated??

Can I really expect better results on my Thomson 44inch RPTV?? (BTW Im using RGB mode)

4)And finally If i hook the Sky box to my Video using the secound SCART socket, I understand I can then recored what ever I am watching on Sky, but can I play a film in the video and will a signal then go up the SCART into the box and be outputted onto the tv?? Or must it be a seperate/straight connection from Video to TV for playing video tapes?

But i dont see it happening as what channel would I set sky box to input signal from secound SCART, I havent tried this but i think i know the answer anyway :(

Thanks For Any Help

Harvy

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Harvy,

Firstly, congratulations on getting the Panasonic TU-DSB31 digibox! It really is a superb piece of equipment!

Now onto your questions:-

1) Your settings are exactly the same as mine, and as mine was only installed today, 21st May, then you should be as up-to-date as can be!

2) Poor quality signal strength, due to weather (especially rain), is down to your dish not being properly aligned. Call your installer, and get them to sort it out. This shouldn't be happening. Obviously, if their is thunder and lightning, then the possibility of corrupted signals, increases, but normal or heavy rainfall shouldn't cause problems.

3) Whilst the SCART lead provided is a little bit better than normal, you'll notice a big difference, if you change to a Gold plated SCART lead. Expect to pay about £20, give or take a little bit!

4) Connecting your Digibox via the VCR SCART socket, should allow you to watch either SKY or a video. Whichever is "on", should override the other, so that if you want to watch a video, you will only get a SKY signal, if your VCR has its channel selection set to the same SKY-receiving channel - usually AV1 or Channel 6.

Hope some of this is of help, and apologies if some information is slightly inaccurate. I'm sure others, will be able to inform you, where appropriate, of what to do.

Pooch

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a dodgy installation to me. As for Scarts, the IXOS range is good as are QED Squarts (expensive at £40).

Steve

4. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your software is up to date though as you read this new software should be available,i already know of some Panasonic 31's that have been upgraded.
    If you leave it in standby, the upgrade when due will occur automatically, or you can sometimes jump start it by just switching of at the mains for 10 secs. then back on.

The upgrade will bring you the Pesonal Planner enhancement and new look EPG.

Your signal should be(with the minidish) about 75% on both bars with an unobstructed view of the satellite.

[ 23-05-2001: Message edited by: Phil Nixon ]

5. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its updated to the new EPG and OS software.