Panasonic TU-DSB30 Picture freeze in RGB mode

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Lunny, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Lunny

Lunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had a Panasonic TU-DSB30 for just over a year now and had no problems with it until I upgraded to a new TV with RGB inputs. As the RGB input gave a better picture quality I selected this on the SKY box but as soon as I do this the picture breaks up or freezes altogether.

I understand that this is a known problem with the tuner on this model. I contacted my local repairer who quoted between £60 - £95 depending on whether they would be able to fix it in their workshop or would have to send it back to Panasonic for repair.

Does anyone have any cheaper options to getting this repaired? Is the Tuner a seperate module that can be purchased seperately and installed myself?

Thanks

Andy

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If it still works ok on composite, have you checked that you have a fully wired scart and that its ok?

3. Lunny

Lunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At first I thought it was the cheap scart cables I was using so I went out and bought some IXOS XFT02 cables but these made no difference at all.
    I then found a link on this forum to the satcure website and found the following comment that seemed to describe my problem.

"Picture "breaking up" with RGB selected
    There is a known problem with the tuner module in the TU-DSB31, which causes picture break-up when RGB is selected in the menu. If you select PAL in the menu, the problem goes away. If you really want to use RGB then you will have to get your tuner module repaired. (It is not yet known if this problem affects later models. However, it does not affect earlier models.)"

I would have to disagree with the last statement as mine is a model 30 not 31 and is showing those exact symptoms.

Thanks

Andy

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's interesting, I had a TSB31 where the picture used to break up like you say, though only on certain channels. I only ever used RGB and would never have thought of trying composite to see whether that would "fix" it, though the difference in picture quality would have ruled that out as a permanent fix.

In the end I just bought a second hand digibox off Ebay for £35.00 which lasted a year until I got Sky+, I haven't looked at prices recently but would still expect this to be cheaper than repair.