1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic, The Best Plasma In The Market

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Likvid, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    For benefit of new members who have not read much of this forum this is not taking into account:

1. PW7 does not support HDMI 50Hz so for Sky HD you would need a scaler.

2. If you take the standard route of Scart RGB -> JS to VGA ->PW7 VGA input then you lose colour (saturation) adjustment.

3. It is rumoured the 7 will soon be replaced by the 8.

I've looked at PW7 and the NEC 42VR5 and I preferred the VR5. Now whether the panasonic had bad inputs I don't know. It was different shops but the same DVD (mine). I was surprised how much worse the panasonic (and pioneer) looked after seeing the VR5. I thought the VR5 picture much sharper.

Also the VR5 has all the inputs you need and 50Hz compatibility.

As always trust only your own eyes :lesson:

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually you are wrong with colour adjustment with JS Tech.

The colour you get with RGB from JS Tech is the correct level of colour, if you want and if there was a possibity to adjust it you wouldn't have the correct colour level.

I use the JS Tech and it's perfect colour as it should be with RGB, no need to adjust.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That review is a rehash of a 3 year old writeup based on the 42" Panasonic.
    It is to be believed only if you still live in the year 2000 - which a lot of this forum seems to be....alas, times and the competition have moved on

The very same website says that the Pioneer Elite 50" is the best plasma picture ever...

And the very same reviewer states that the Sony KDE-P50MRX1 outguns the Panasonic on every aspect of picture quality except dark scene detail (which is absolutely true).

2 years ago I began my quest to find the best plasma screens - and firmly believed from what I read that Panasonic's would **** all over the others in just about every way. How wrong I was. Panasonic plasmas on this forum remind me of how REL subwoofers used to be exalted a few years back, but at least subwoofer owners have woken up and discovered the possibility of alternatives..

Panasonic plasmas aren't bad, and they could well be the right choice for you - but please don't say they are "the best" like it is an indisputable truth. It is the one thing about this forum which infuriates me, and it is misleading to say the least.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are quite right, the PW7 is not the best, it's simply good VFM at the moment. Bearing in mind it's the same total cost as a Samsung or LG if you do it right, there's simply no contest there. As to the Sony, you know my views there, the reviewer simply had no clue what he was doing, or possibly any more clue than any 1 subjective individual on this forum about what a good picture looks like. What P****s me off is owners of ANY plasma posting how marvellous his/her own screen is and how it's the best in the world and how all their mates are so jealous. There are 1 or 2 serial offenders here, all makes are represented, it knows no boundaries.

6. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You talk alot about nothing really, have you ever seen a Sony plasma? don't even say they can compete or even beats the Panasonics, totally NOT true.

I've seen the Sony 50" and even Pioneer 505HDE looked better than the Sony.

Only good think about Sony was the design and LG stole it from them, pretty smart eh?

Just read this forum and other forums around the world and realize that Panasonic have more satisified customers than any other plasma maker, maybe Pioneer as well but i don't count them as they don't know what black-level is all about.

7. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Robbie, I think you have some conflicts. 'money' and 'quality' generally have a close link. If you want serious SD picture on any plasma you are going to need a monitor, preferably but not absolutely, HD res, and a scaler, so a budjet of say, 2.25k is the barest minimum for screen and cables/boards etc, and 3k will be way better. CRT TV's have had over 60 years to be developed, we are still in the 'early adopters' phase of plasma on quality of picture, they are not yet plug and play. Get a HD screen and scaler demo, and you might be pleasantly surprised by the picture, maybe not by the price.

9. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I held off buying plasma until what I saw exceeded the quality of my Panasonic 36" CRT. I have found, after a bit of time with it, that the overall experience with the plasma is better than the CRT. But while a good plasma setup is better than the best CRT, you only have to slip down the plasma scale a bit to get results much worse than even your average CRT.

Still, it takes £3k of plasma to better £900 of CRT.

10. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You could say the same about any TV. Why fit a colour knob? The reason is that tastes vary what one person likes another thinks is too saturated. Plus as chrominance and lumiance is processed separately in a lot of the video chain there is scope for errors.

My point was that this is something buyers should know about as if they just read that article they wouldn't. Plus, if we are going to be precise the JS-Tech does nothing with the colour. It is entirely in the hands of the kit with the scart output. The JS has only recovered the sync pulses. The RGB is untouched.

As has been pointed out this is an old article and IMO does not address the flaws as well as the plus points.

11. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Having seen Gordons demo at the Edinburgh show last November I agree totally that a scaler is essential if you want to beat CRT with normal SD sources.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Whoops posted in wrong thread....

13. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After 3 months of use i have to say the Panasonic beats everything on the market....

Looked at a dull Pioneer XDE at my friends house and the blacks looked like grey and the picture lacked definition.

The Panasonic got nearly CRT blacks, however the solarization is noticeable, however other plasma looks even worse at this point.