Panasonic TH50PX70B Owners Thread

papa_flump

Established Member
Reaction score
Well....

It's on the wall.. looking quite nice, impressed with sd signal so far (1 hour!) I thought that this set may look terrible in sd compared to my PW7... but a pleasant surprise.. even when watching through scart :eek:

One problem however... either I am being thick (possible) or the set is faulty (I hope not)... My PW7 was connected via a JS Technology RGB to VGA Converter.. the vga lead simply plugged into my PW7's PC Input... great picture.... the same set-up into the Viera's PC Input = No Picture :mad:

Any idea why?

first pic.. better ones to follow..

img2392yl2.jpg

No idea on your probs but the sets looking great, keep us all informed on the normal probs with plasma :) I'm hoping to get this set too :)

Also is it nice n quiet with no fans :)

I cant wait until I get mine :clap:

No noise at all... but then again the daughters bi-orb fish bubble thingy makes more noise than anything else in the room :D

As for the vga problem.. it's really starting o bug me now... in the settings the menu recognises a H&V signal 15.6 & 50.1 (or similar) but no picture... I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if my mates laptop will work ok.. if so then it's the JST RGB>VGA box that aint compatible... in the mean time rgb scart is acceptable :rolleyes:

anyway... just ordered sky hd for £199 inc. installation (just mention your a National Trust member)

I remember reading on the JS web site that their converter is not compatible with every plasma - you may be out of luck.

Anyway I hope the 50PX70 will be OK - at least it does not have the three fans of the PX60 I own - after nearly 12 months they are becoming more intrusive - as I'm afraid all fans do eventually!

One of the main reasons I dismissed getting a 50PX60 !

Gussie :)

I remember reading on the JS web site that their converter is not compatible with every plasma - you may be out of luck.

Anyway I hope the 50PX70 will be OK - at least it does not have the three fans of the PX60 I own - after nearly 12 months they are becoming more intrusive - as I'm afraid all fans do eventually!

One of the main reasons I dismissed getting a 50PX60 !

Gussie :)

Well thinking about it your right Gussie. Every PC I have ever built even when building ones with very quiet fans for use in music studio recording the fans always eventually give up the ghost and get louder and louder along the way. Likewise they should be very easy to change in the TV - could be a nice future mod :)

Pap flump, could I ask a favour, what are the dimensions of the box that the plasma is shipped in ?
I'm thinking of collecting as the retailer that has the best price at the moment does not offer shipping on the 50" and need to ensure that it will actualy fit in the car.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi mseabroo,

The box dimensions are... 53" x 36" x 15"

I picked up the screen with tilting wall bracket for £1349 :D

As I already have such a bracket.. it's on the sales board along with my PW7 + Speakers (shameless plug :D )

Hi papa flump

Thanks for the dimensions, immensely helpful, right off to measure the wife's car in a minute. Just hope it's going to fit.

All looking good now, have permission from wife central, after seeing the 42" yesterday & she just sold the old Rear Projection set for me :D so no turning back now :clap:

Just need to persuade her to take the trip tomorrow rather than next weekend.

Best Price I have seen is £1249 but that's excluding the ped, so expect its going to come out at about the same price you paid.

Hi mseabroo,

The box dimensions are... 53" x 36" x 15"

I picked up the screen with tilting wall bracket for £1349 :D

As I already have such a bracket.. it's on the sales board along with my PW7 + Speakers (shameless plug :D )

Where did you buy it from? Cheers :)

Hi,

I got mine from totaldigital.biz .... mind you I would like to know where it is for £1249 mseabroo :eek:

Hi,

I got mine from totaldigital.biz .... mind you I would like to know where it is for £1249 mseabroo :eek:

I saw it for that price at askdirect askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=9750

Although it appears to be the screen only for that price, so am assuming that I would need to add a PED, which seems to avarage about £99 plus its pickup only or Dabs have it with the Ped for £1303 including delivery but no stock yet.

Hi All. I am seriously thinking of buying this one. What is the picture like - just normal Sky digital? Did you manage to get the VGA working? Any other comments? thanks. David

Hi,

Back with a few more photos... not so sure about the trunking, but at least it's better than the cables accross the rad cover :D

For info... as suspected (thanks to Horneydragon for clarification) the RGB>VGA converter will not work on this screen (unlike my PWD7.. still for sale btw) Something to do with the frequency... this starts at 30 and the RGB>VGA converter uses 15. something... that's the downside :rolleyes:

The upside is... I am totally happy with the picture so far.. even during 'running in' The clarity on all inputs is (IMHO) suberb.. I was expecting the worst, especially when others who prefer Panels only over TV's seemed so against the conversion.

For info I have very basic equipment... and std Nikkai! cables from Maplins (cheapish but OK quality)... Anyway the kit connected is..

Component = Sony 725 dvd player

RGB Scart = Single feed from trilogy/quantum selector box... this has connected 4x RGB scarts..
sky+
sky (for when she wants to watch sky+ recordings upstairs - multiroom)
nintendo wii
Pioneer ns-dv99 all in one dvd player & digital amp
And.. the piece de resistance.... on composite only (my pwd7 panel via VGA would not display good old composite:D )
plug & play pac man.. yes the wife loves it... best £15 ever spent.. it looks fantastic on 50" :smashin:

VGA = cable already in wall so might as well have connected it.. might find some other gadget to hook upto it.

This leaves one RGB scart socket free on the tv, & 2x hdmi (sky hd to follow)

the built in freeview is surprisingly good and watchable.. std analogue ain't very good though.

So to sum up.. 50" & very happy.. having always brought sony crt's.. my initial feeling towards panny was of a slightly lesser product.. having had the pwd7 (still for sale btw in case i forgot to mention) and now my first viera... i'm a very happy panny convert.

plasma3wn2.jpg

note all kit hidden away in cabinet (except wii) from [-]monster[/-] daughter.... for info sky is operated by connecting a magic eye outside of the cabinet to save opening the doors & the pioneer ns99 has it's control thingy on top also.

plasma2rs6.jpg

plasma1uz5.jpg

far greater luck than judgement that the wii sensor bar fitted exactly in just above the speaker.

nice install

I am looking at this or the 42px70

I sit 8-9 feet away from the panel, I guess I should go with the 42 right?

Can I just ask what you think of the 'blacks'?

I have had my 50PX60 for about a month and am generally happy.. But when I watch it in low light, the blacks give off a feint glow...

Its impossible to measure, but I can't help thinking that mine isn't right!

Jon

Blacks even on plasma will give off a feint glow in a darkened room because the plasma cells have to hold a charge even when 'off' hence the glow. Nothing to worry about, just annoying. Just think yourself lucky you don't have an LCD which would be ten times brighter in this regard. I'm hoping the new Pioneers will greatly resolve this issue when they appear later this year but I'll believe it when I see it.

I realise that its normal.. I had a 42PW5 before and had the chance to compare them before I sold it.. The PX60 has slightly lighter blacks but only just.

But for some reason, whilst it never bothered me on my PW5 in 4 years of viewing, its driving me nuts now!

I wonder if the reasons could be:

1. I have the contrast down right now during the run in
2. The larger screen makes this more noticable
3. The fact that its slightly brighter has pushed it over my threshold of tollerance?

Its certainly better than an LCD.. I know, as I have 2 different 32" models (one is cheap one is a Sony Bravia) and they are awful in comparison!

Jon

I realise that its normal.. I had a 42PW5 before and had the chance to compare them before I sold it.. The PX60 has slightly lighter blacks but only just.

Hi mate,

Are you talking PX60 or PX70 here?

This is the 50PX70 owners thread - you may be confusing people (like me:) - easily done!) that are trying to gauge whether they should get the PX70 by talking about probs with the last model.

Sorry if that sounds snappy, just trying to clarify.

PAPA FLUMP.....

Did you demo many other 50" sets prior to deciding on the PX70.

I've been looking for ages now and still can't decide what to actually go for.

I've looked at every single 50" plasma and 3 1080p LCD sets before I thought I had decided on the Pioneer PDP507XD (at £2k with a bracket/stand and the undermount speaker).

Then the TH50PX70 comes out and confuses me! My local dealer has one but has yet to get it set up due to a missing stand but he set me a 42PX70 up until he can sort it. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the 42 - the pic was soft and although the blacks were pinpoint I felt it was seeming to blur on fast motion scenes and seemed a little grainy.

So prior to me getting to see the 50", would you take 10 mins to give a bit more of a mini review after your first few days of ownership?

It'd be much appreciated!

Hi mate,

Are you talking PX60 or PX70 here?

This is the 50PX70 owners thread - you may be confusing people (like me:) - easily done!) that are trying to gauge whether they should get the PX70 by talking about probs with the last model.

Sorry if that sounds snappy, just trying to clarify.

Sorry. I am talking about my PX60, but I am posting it here as I want to know if the PX70 is any better..

The PX60 suffers from 'grey' blacks (And I am sure that the PX70 will too).. I just wanted to find out from PX70 owners how bad/good they thought it was in this area!

Jon

Sorry. I am talking about my PX60, but I am posting it here as I want to know if the PX70 is any better..

The PX60 suffers from 'grey' blacks (And I am sure that the PX70 will too).. I just wanted to find out from PX70 owners how bad/good they thought it was in this area!

Jon

Good point then mate, ta. Something else to bear in mind:suicide: :)

Hopefully PAPA FLUMP can shed some light (pardon the pun!)

Jon

Nope, it doesn't.
At least not the one I saw on the Currys wall yesterday.
Brand new, so not run in yet, but the blacks were very good on Normal/Warm/Contrast full/Brightness 3 clicks down from default.

Sorry... for the insight but...

it was an impulse buy (I found this is the best way to buy anything, saves the headaches.... untill price matching takes over) as I said before I had a PWD7 and was very happy with it especially the colours, all very vivid and as you hear time & time again... the panny SD panels often put many HD sets in their place.

I guess for me the wanting 'bigger' syndrome came into itas well as please the wife with standard tv stuff like teletext... I saw the 50px60 in Richer Sounds for £999 and thought it was a good buy but (sorry px60 owners) hated the design.. then read the px70 was out in 42" and went from there... as soon as I saw several dealers had the 50" in stock I simply found the closest to me & took a 2 minute test drive.. no pondering over various models etc.. again to be honest the price was another major factor.... £2k for the pio as opposed to £1.3k (with wall bracket) for the panny... that swayed it for me as teh wife will also get a holiday this year :D & I'll probably be after something different in a couple of years (PWD7 not quite two yet & still for sale btw on the sales boards :D )

Anyway... picture quality so far... blacks look very good (I've even given up running the thing in now... listening to too many opinions can send you mad..) running in 'Normal' mode.

I do not have sky hd as yet (next week.. and again compared to the pio price.. I could not afford it if gone that route) but even sky sd is pretty impressive.. only problem I have found is when watching a dvd through componant I have noticed the picture to letterbox frame not 100% clear at the top (jagged edge) but i'm pretty sure it's the dvd player as opposed to the screen.

I will endevour to do a slightly more comprehensive review of the tv.. just a quick not on the motion blur.. I have never had any problems.. tv is mainly watched for viewing football & lke the PWD7 I have found no problems with the PX70...

Nope, it doesn't.
At least not the one I saw on the Currys wall yesterday.
Brand new, so not run in yet, but the blacks were very good on Normal/Warm/Contrast full/Brightness 3 clicks down from default.

But that was Currys (i.e in bright light conditions) and thats not the concern.

I just want to know whether someone can comment on the blacks in a 'real world' scenario!

Simply put the the AV into an unused input and look at the 'glow' from the screen in a dark room!

On my PX60 there is an obvious glow and I am sure that the PX70 will be the same.. But it would be nice to know!

Jon

Yes, but it backs up my point - if the blacks look impressive in a brightly lit area, then they'll look just as impressive in your living room.
If they were washed out looking, even with playing with the remote, then I'd have said so, and they can be if you want them to. Plenty of range on the setting adjustments.

Ah, the pre-charge glow - different kettle of fish you're asking there. They'll likely be the same as the 60, since Panny hasn't said anything specific about that - only Pioneer has for their 8G panels.
So, since Panny is reckoned to have a better black level than Pioneer, it could be their pre-charge level is lower than Pioneer's already, and this is Pioneer's move to change that.
It may well be that Panny are working on a lower pre-charge level themselves, ready for the next gen - assuming with their panels, it actually brings something to the table. If not, then they've moved on to other areas of design that make more difference to the blacks or PQ in general.
It's hard to say for definite.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom