PANASONIC TH50PX70 - poo or not poo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Now Then... i need help... professional, HONEST, UNBIASED help!

i've read just about everything about plasma tv's in this forum & a few other places over the last few weeks, from viewing distances, burn in/retention to SD been cr*ppy, faults with green/blue lines across the screen, etc, etc, etc, blah blah blah... my head hurts & my eye's feel square! :eek:

i'm non the wiser in whether or not i should buy the 'PANASONIC TH50PX70 + PEDESTAL' for £1200 from my local AV retailer ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! :suicide:

here's the facts & usage it'd be getting... i'll be sitting between 8-10 feet away from it on my couchpotato sofa :thumbsup: which is against the wall as far away as i can get it! & the tv would be sat in the bay window so the nasty sunlight would be on the back of the tv when the blinds are not closed... no light reflections/glare on the beast :thumbsup:

it would be connected up to my 'Kenwood Series 21' HiFi which would be sat near it & it'd be used for watching Films on VHS & DVD, playing PS2 games (maybe PS3 :smashin:) & watching DigiTv/movies (Ntl/Virgin Media box)... i do NOT want a 42" plasma & my viewing distance can NOT be increased, should i get any superduper cables to help it out & if so which ones?... i'm replacing all my oxygen free HiFi speaker wiring so if i need HDMI, scarts or some other ooh lala cables then i'll get them... :censored: it!

blah, blah, blah, blah, blaaaaaaaaaah should i bother/would you bother with the 'Panasonic TH50PX70' or should i just spend the money on Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll? :arty:

PooLow Poonani :smoke:

It's a great set and by all accounts for SD is excellent - many of the rivals at the price point (namely the Samsung) seem to promise but not deliver....

Unless you can double up to the Pioneer or wait for the PZ70 to come out in the 50" range i don't think there is a better set for your needs, that comes within budget.

Nooooooooooo i can not wait any longer/ i WILL NOT wait any longer :devil: ~in a funny excited mood~

thanks for the advice... now all that is required is to play it cool with the shop owner & try to get it for around a £1000 instead! :cool:

i'm just trying to find out everything i can about this 'Panasonic TH50PX70' so i'm prepared if anything bad happens i.e. green vertical lines, burn in... yes i'm paranoid about having static images burnt onto the screen from Tv logo's & HUD's from playing PS2/PS3 games... i've waited many years for this & i take care of ALL my things/babies!... currently got a 'Sony Super Triniton 32" flat screen CRT' it's a big heavy :censored: which will be moving into the bedroom :p & i've had it over 10 years & NOT 1 MOMENT of trouble EVER!!!... so far it's been the best piece of electronical equipment i've ever bought!

cheers again for the help... especially about the SD viewing been good!... has ANYONE out there reading this frantic babbling actually GOT one of these tv's & can tell me what they're like???

off for a well deserved :smoke:

Had mine about 2 months and its fantastic, gets better each day and so very glad i choose this one over its competitors.
You wont be disappointed.

Now Then... i need help... professional, HONEST, UNBIASED help!

here's the facts & usage it'd be getting... i'll be sitting between 8-10 feet away from it on my couchpotato sofa :thumbsup: which is against the wall as far away as i can get it! & the tv would be sat in the bay window so the nasty sunlight would be on the back of the tv when the blinds are not closed... no light reflections/glare on the beast :thumbsup:

I would go for the 42" at that distance. A 50" will show up every defect on SD and many channels just aren't good enough.

You might need to keep those blinds closed. If the room is too light the picture won't be that easy to see especially with reduced contrast and brightness settings during the first 200hrs.

I've had mine just over a month, only use it on SD, am considered to have painfully good eyesight and picky with it and would recommend this TV to anyone with no reservations EXCEPT I agree with RayP, if your eyesight is good you're too close.

I view from 12-13' and SD looks perfectly OK, a bit soft on poor channels but very sharp on good ones. However, I don't have to move too far forward before the picture quality goes down rapidly, if I sat as close as you're talking about all but the best transmissions would look very poor and the good ones would look very soft.

Stop trying to kid yourself your house is bigger than it is and buy the 42" or you'll be very disappointed UNLESS you wear jam jar glasses in which case you'll think anything is great :)

I would also advise that...

1) You don't rush into any purchase. Make sure you research the model extensively and if you can sit at 8-10ft in the shop and see what you think of the picture.

And 2) Prepare to be horrified at how bad VHS recordings are going to look.

12-13ft is fine for a 50". Maybe you just need a bigger house.;)

damn... i've just literally measured the viewing distance & it IS 8-10 feet... the sofa is against the wall & the tv would be in the bay window as far back as i can get it... BUT i ain't getting a 42" NO WAY!!!... i hate :mad::thumbsdow widescreen tv's & the 42" little brother version looks like you've walked up to someones front door & are looking through there letterbox... poo!!! :nono:

most of my film collection is on VHS (hundreds of them) & about 20 on dvd (Lord of the Rings Extended Edition is the best)... guess i'm in for a dissapointment then :clap: there is no way i will accept/be happy with a smaller screen size than 50"... was looking at the 65" & 80" screen sizes to start with... maybe i'll have to replace most of my VHS films with the DVD versions ~expensive~ :eek::mad::censored::censored::censored::suicide:

is there any cables that i can get that will help clear up the picture quality?... Scarts?, HDMI for the DVD player/Recorder?... this is turning into a damn NIGHTMARE!... oldskool CRT!!! :thumbsup:

thanks everyone for the help/advice... the Other option is sounding mighty appealing... Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll :arty:

Is there any point asking for advice and then ignoring it? Why come here in the first place unless you're prepared to hear things you might not like. :rolleyes:

People who have plasma displays are warning you off a 50" at 8-10ft but you seem determined to buy one. How does the saying go? Buy at haste, repent at leisure.

If you really won't accept a 42" because you think it's too small :confused: my only advice would be to subscribe to a HD service and buy a HD DVD player. Only then will you be happy with the picture from 8-10ft.

No cables currently available will clean up the signal to the extent you need. It's a problem of bitrate and the SD channels don't broadcast at a high enough rate. Hence why watching a big screen at too close a distance results in disappointment.

I notice you are connecting it to a hi-fi system. Why not consider the Panasonic PH10 which is of higher quality than the consumer PX series. You could then buy a JS Tech RGB-YUV box and decent cables (see my sig) which will keep the picture quality as high as possible but I still wouldn't recommend 50" at 8-10ft.

Ray man... sorry i did not mean to offend the 42" little brother screen which you have :oops:

i'm one of the few people i know who hate widescreen/letterbox, everything/one looks short & fat on those screens :mad:... the 50" screen is not so widescreen looking as the height of the screen is more, i read 9" taller somewhere in this forum!... closer looking to the 4:3 ratio... than the 42" letterbox... i think the DVD player/recorder jobby is HD DVD :smashin: & i'll get whatever Oh lala superduper cables i have to (£30-£60 on cables is nowt when your spending £1300-£1500 on equipment)

anyhow i'll go into the shop & sit on the floor 8-10 feet away from it & see what i think... thanks EVERYONE for the help/advice anyhow... i just want BIG SCREEN! :eek:

if the picture quality is poo with the DigiTv i ain't too bothered... i don't watch that :censored: my lass watches 'Most Haunted' & my little girl watches 'Boomerang' :rolleyes: thats it really.

any advice on cables then (scarts, HDMI?) or is that a question to ask in another forum topic?... i've got an aching stiff neck & hours & hours over the last few weeks of my life wasted... i could have been chillin :smoke: watching MORE films! :smashin:

Ray man... sorry i did not mean to offend the 42" little brother screen which you have :oops:

:rotfl: I'm not the slightest bit offended about only having a 42". I researched my plasma for about six months and have ended up with something I can comfortably live with.

i'm one of the few people i know who hate widescreen/letterbox, everything/one looks short & fat on those screens :mad:... the 50" screen is not so widescreen looking as the height of the screen is more, i read 9" taller somewhere in this forum!... closer looking to the 4:3 ratio... than the 42" letterbox...

Oh dear, what have you been reading? :eek: All widescreen TVs are 16:9 whether they are 32", 37", 42", 50" or higher. If you are seeing people short and fat then the screen hasn't been setup correctly. I don't know where you're getting your info from but you really need to go to a quality retailer (John Lewis rather than Comet, Curry's) and ask relevant questions and most importantly, take your favourite DVD with you and watch it on a 42" and 50" from 8-10ft and make a decision.

i think the DVD player/recorder jobby is HD DVD :smashin: & i'll get whatever Oh lala superduper cables i have to (£30-£60 on cables is nowt when your spending £1300-£1500 on equipment)

Think or know? Have you thought how you're going to connect it to your screen? HDMI is best, component is almost as good. No need to spend much on cables carrying a digital signal (HDMI) but quality is important for analogue (Scart, component).

anyhow i'll go into the shop & sit on the floor 8-10 feet away from it & see what i think... thanks EVERYONE for the help/advice anyhow... i just want BIG SCREEN! :eek:

Do that and don't be pressurised into buying on the spot. I think once you see a 42" setup properly you might reconsider.

if the picture quality is poo with the DigiTv i ain't too bothered... i don't watch that :censored: my lass watches 'Most Haunted' & my little girl watches 'Boomerang' :rolleyes: thats it really.

There's no need for the picture to be poor if you make the right decisions. The PX70 has one of the better digital Freeview receivers but if you're with Virgin consider their V+ service which should give good pictures with an option to go HD.

any advice on cables then (scarts, HDMI?) or is that a question to ask in another forum topic?... i've got an aching stiff neck & hours & hours over the last few weeks of my life wasted... i could have been chillin watching MORE films! :smashin:

Decide on what plasma you're going to get first and the cable decision can come later. Consider the PH series from AV Sales. I bought from them as have many others here and it's a brilliant plasma but you only get a couple of inputs (VGA, maybe HDMI) and others have to be purchased. It's a panel only (no TV or speakers) but you have a Virgin box and a hi-fi so why do you need a consumer TV?

Time spent researching is never wasted. Consider how you might feel having bought a bad set costing a grand or more.:( You have the benefit of a lot of experience here. Use it.:hiya:

Great advice from all here, Poolow, take it! :smashin: But as Ray spotted, it seems you have a misconception. The shape/rectangularity of a 50" is just the same as a 42" - the whole set's just bigger. But maybe you meant this: When you put the TV into 4:3 aspect ratio so that people look the right shape on normal broadcasts (and old VHS tapes), then the image you've got left on a 50" set is still BIG. True enough!

I recently upgraded from 32" Sony widescreen CRT like yours - heavvvvy bugger too, to a 37" plasma. And that plasma, that looked so tiny in the shop next to the 42"ers, looked HUGE and BEAUTIFUL in my (small) lounge!

Buy a 50" set if you want, but make sure the dealer agrees to swap you for a 42" (& refund the difference :rolleyes:) if you take it home & find it too big!

CHFels

about the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio... on a 42" screen :rotfl: which was on the other/cheaper ;) side of the showroom (local independant AV shop NOT currys or comet, they know naff all about the products they just try to sell you something/anything) the show that was been played on it looked WIIIIDE... but what i'm getting at is because the 50" :smashin: is that much bigger especially in the HEIGHT of the screen it cancel's out/doesn't matter about the width of the screen... when it's that size it doesn't look sooooo widescreen so it is NOT a problem ;)

blah blah blah 42" is better blah blah i CAN NOT live with that screen size :nono: not much point in upgrading/spending hard earned cash on a screen you don't like... :censored: the DigiTv... i'll make sure i get HD DVD Player/Recorder (a Panasonic one as well!) & all the lovely HDMI cables i need :D:thumbsup:

i want to buy from my LOCAL shop because of just that!... it's local!... any probs & i'm down there! :mad:

ALL/ANY other problems (viewing distance, Light reflections/glare, aspect ratio) are all MINOR problems & can be sorted as far as i'm concerned... :censored: it!... i'm having it!

other people who've replied to my question LOVE their 50" Panasonic & i'm sure i will too!

:D

Why ask for opinions and advice just to ignore them. Seems rather ignorant to me.

Well Poolow I've tried to advise you but it's clear that you want a 50" despite all the warnings.

What was the point in asking for this..."i need help... professional, HONEST, UNBIASED help!" and then completely ignoring what you've been told.

Enjoy whatever you end up with.

here this is from another forum

Consumer Reports said that the biggest complaint among HDTV buyers is that they should have gotten a bigger screen size. Giving up 1080p for 720p is a good trade-off for 8 more inches of screen.

& this

50" Panasonic plasma. At viewing distances of over 5 feet, you can not see any difference in sharpness.

& this

Additionally, various studies into human perception of TV have shown that the vast majority of viewers (read: your average person, you, me, anyone) can barely notice the resolution difference on movies/TV, but when size of the display is broughti nto the equation, size generally is equated with better quality. I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just saying that size is perceptionally more important to the mind's image of a movie, than resolution (however for computer games, you want the resolution to increase detail, but movies are still captured using film, so resolution means somewhat less.

& this

magnitude as to being noticeable. You won't regret going for the larger size. In fact, you'll love it.

i'm not ignorant... i just stand up for myself :smashin:

hey Ray **** OFF! & stick your little 42" where the sun doesn't shine... it's small enough!

what a ****ing **** forum... get told not to buy this & buy what i've got instead

& if you don't we'll all gang up against you... ****ing bullying gumbi *****

hey Ray **** OFF! & stick your little 42" where the sun doesn't shine... it's small enough!

what a ****ing **** forum... get told not to buy this & buy what i've got instead

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

i'm not ignorant... i just stand up for myself :smashin:

Stand up for yourself? What the hell are you talking about?
You are an extremely rude and ignorant person.

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

GAS you ****ing stupid little monkey... it's just a wee bit of abuse... were all MEN here aren't we

oh poo hoo... someones standing up for themselves about not getting a smaller 42" screen over a 50" screen... size MATTERS! little boys!

Ray & Gas reminds me of a Jack Dee quote 'well i've never been spoken to like that before in my life' & the reply 'well you have now sir so **** OFF!' :rotfl:

i'm off to get the 50" with HDDVD so **** you! :hiya:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

what a numpty!!!

Obviousily trying to compensate for the size of something else......:smashin:

GAS you ****ing stupid little monkey... it's just a wee bit of abuse... were all MEN here aren't we

oh poo hoo... someones standing up for themselves about not getting a smaller 42" screen over a 50" screen... size MATTERS! little boys!

Ray & Gas reminds me of a Jack Dee quote 'well i've never been spoken to like that before in my life' & the reply 'well you have now sir so **** OFF!' :rotfl:

i'm off to get the 50" with HDDVD so **** you! :hiya:

Better off not visiting again...These guys know what they are talking about so perhaps you should do one. As you know everything why don't you set up your own forum where you can dictate to everyone.

I personally like the one where you say that a 50" is taller... But its also wider!!! So your squashed fat people will be bigger squashed fat people.

BTW no one on here has this problem cos we know how to set our display up.

Copy of pooppoop's pm to me..........:rotfl::rotfl:

Cheered me up anyhoooooo...

UP YOUR UGLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I AIN'T GETTING NO 42" PUNY SCREEN ****... & BECAUSE I DISSAGREE WITH SOME OTHER **** LIKE YOURSELF YOU GANG UP... YOU STUPID ****ING *****... NORMALLY I DON'T GIVE WARNING WHEN I'M GOING TO **** OVER SOMETHING BUT IF YOU COULD BE SO KIND AS TO INFORM THE ADMIN TO WATCH THE FORUM OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS OR SO

Think poo poo has lost his nappies and thrown the teddy out of the cot, wonder what he/she or it was smoking?:D:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom