• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH50PHW30 to Virgin Tivo Box?

plamengb

Prominent Member
Any suggestions of a way to connect these 2? I've tried with HDMI to VGA and 3RCA but it's not working (it's just a straight cable no separate converter), I was thinking of Scart to S-video + audio as maybe that's my only choice, though I might be getting something wrong with the HDMI cable so I need you input

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I don't believe the VM Tivo has an S-Video output.
Does your Tv have an RGB or Composite video input module?

plamengb

Prominent Member
it does have scart so I was thinking of scart to svideo + audio as the tv does not have scart but it has svideo input :) Either way I'm already in the process of returning the hdmi to vga cable as its not working :(

JayCee

Distinguished Member
plamengb said:
it does have scart so I was thinking of scart to svideo + audio as the tv does not have scart but it has svideo input :) Either way I'm already in the process of returning the hdmi to vga cable as its not working :(

Scart is a type of connector, it's not a type of video format.
The scart output on the Tivo can output RGB or Composite video, it does not AFAIK output S-Video.
If your Tv has composite video and audio inputs, coloured yellow, red and white (or black) then a scart to 3 phono lead will work.
The picture quality won't be up to much but you'll get a picture.
You could have asked on here before buying the cable, we'd have told you it wouldn't work.
HDMI is digital and VGA is analogue, to convert from digital to analogue requires a black box convertor, a simple lead can't do it as you've discovered.

plamengb

Prominent Member
I've read somewhere that it has s-video :S Yeah I guess I should ask first and then buy :D As for the HDMI to VGA the seller was advertising the cable to be working with HDTV boxes hence me buying it so I'm going to return it for sure :)

On another note the scart that I've bought actually has the 3 outputs mentioned - 1 video and 2 audio - yellow, white and red and it has an additional s-video

Last edited:

plamengb

Prominent Member
Any idea if the TiVo signal signal is emitted from the hdmi and scart at the same time as even if I buy the hdmi to VGA I will need sound too

I just ordered hdmi to vga box just in case it has audio output too and it is advertised to convert the signal

Last edited:

Zaichik

Prominent Member
There's a bug in the current TiVo software which causes the HDMI signal to be cut off on occasion when a SCART lead is also being used. It also causes an onscreen message about the HDMI being disabled, which can be a pain to get rid of.

plamengb

Prominent Member
Got myself a cheap box of ebay(hdmi to vga) but it supports some min quality and it is almost as I'm watching using AV cable. Any suggestions or I should buy a better box and if I do what box?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom