Panasonic TH50PHD8?? HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by marklintonarnol, Aug 19, 2006.

1. marklintonarnol

marklintonarnol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    HI i am in a dilema over what to do. I have been reading the AVS forums in the states who have the latest PHD9 screens some of them are complaining of image retention very quickly and it has got me quite worried. I can still get the PHD8 for the same price and i know that this screen according to you lot is bulletproof in image retention. Question is what shall i do bearing in mind i am fed up with image retention after owning a Pioneer 506XDE. Also will the picture via SKYHD look as good as the Pioneer that i had. Cheers i need help in deciding!!!!!

2. Druboo

Druboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    The 8 is proven the 9 is an unknown factor (apart from what you are reading on AVS) I would say go with the 8. Ultimately it's your decision tho

3. shb77

shb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would get the 8 series panel. As you say, it is a proven panel.

I was in the same position - I was trying to a PHD8 from av sales but they sold out and was toying with the idea of getting a 9 series. However, I too read some threads on the us av forums and got v concerned about the retention issues. Even though these all appeared to be temporary with no permanent problems, this was a concern to me as none of the previous panny panels had this issue. Fortunately I was able to get a secondhand PHD8 (I was after a 42".... if only I had space for a 50") and it is brilliant!!! Had it ISF-ed by Piers and it looks amazing!!! :rotfl:

4. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Unless you buy secondhand PHD8 I don't think you will be able to find a new 50"

So much for the PH9s stated improvement in retention as per Panasonic's initial announcement :nono:

5. marklintonarnol

marklintonarnol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To be honest thay said the same about the PHD8 so i would take it with a pinch of salt. I would expect a screen which is more vibrant colours, better contrast and brighness than previous model to suffer more retention you only have to look at Pioneer

The 435XDE didnt suffer any severe retention then the next model comes out (436)claiming to be so better ie colours, contrast up from 1100 to 3000 etc and look what happends they suffer big time - so much for a product getting better which seems exactly the same way Panasonic seem to be going hence my original post..

6. marklintonarnol

marklintonarnol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Forgot to mention i do know where to get the 50PHD8(new) from they still have 4 black and 5 silver for 2399

7. Druboo

Druboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Go for it .... You know it makes sense :thumbsup: