• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH50PF20 - Is this really screen burn?

wyerd

Established Member
I've got a problem with my 2 year old plasma which the local Panasonic repair centre are saying it's screen burn and as such Panasonic won't swap it out for another as it has a 3 year warranty.

Does it appear to be screen burn as it's only used for watching TV on a Media Center PC?

I'd appreciate any advice on how I can get it repaired or swapped as the vertical lines on the right side are really noticeable in bright backgrounds.

Thanks.

img_4547.jpg

img_4548.jpg

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
If you have it on the menus for Media Centre quite a bit then it may well be screen burn.
I have seen some image retention on my plasma with Sky when on a radio channel.

wyerd

Established Member
If you have it on the menus for Media Centre quite a bit then it may well be screen burn.
I have seen some image retention on my plasma with Sky when on a radio channel.

Media center doesn't display menus as vertical lines and I have it set to display the photo gallery screen saver after 10 minutes.

So basically the display is ruined and there's nothing that can be done to fix it????:eek:

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Media center doesn't display menus as vertical lines and I have it set to display the photo gallery screen saver after 10 minutes.

So basically the display is ruined and there's nothing that can be done to fix it????:eek:
There is an old white paper from years ago that suggests running a full screen white slide to even out any IR, if this is burn it wont help if its bad IR it might shift it. The process involves running a full white screen for 100hrs and nothing else.
Though this may effect the life span of the set eg decrease it by more hours than its running for as your using the RGB cells hard.
Could try this.

mikelj

Prominent Member
If it's bad IR, then in my experience (of witnessing bad IR on my relatives plasma), it will go eventually just through normal viewing. The cavet on this I suppose is that if it is a menu that caused it then you don't want continuing displaying it in the same place.

IR is caused by uneven wear, e.g. watching nothing but 4:3 content on a widescreen would eventualy cause a vertical strip on each side of the screen to occur coinciding with the black bars placed either side of the 4:3 content.

What form does the photo gallery screen saver take?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
If it's bad IR, then in my experience (of witnessing bad IR on my relatives plasma), it will go eventually just through normal viewing. The cavet on this I suppose is that if it is a menu that caused it then you don't want continuing displaying it in the same place.

IR is caused by uneven wear, e.g. watching nothing but 4:3 content on a widescreen would eventualy cause a vertical strip on each side of the screen to occur coinciding with the black bars placed either side of the 4:3 content.

What form does the photo gallery screen saver take?

IR is a buildup of charge, burn is uneven wear.

mikelj

Prominent Member
IR is a buildup of charge, burn is uneven wear.

Is there a difference? I was under the impression that permanent IR is classsed as burn?

My understanding is that uneven wear in plasmas causes IR as the pixel phosphors in a particular region are excited less over a period of time than the surrounding pixels (phosphors age with use over time, emitting less light as they age). All pixels in a plasma have to receive the correct/minimum voltage level as part of the pre-charge cycle, else the pxiel will not illumate and this pre-charge voltage varies (inceases over the lifetime of the panel) due to phosphor ageing.

Isn't build-up of charge applicable only to LCD?

ArmitageShanks

Prominent Member
My first thoughts would be that that is caused by the silly white borders around the screen-saver images in WMC, but then again, you'd have rectangles burnt into your screen rather than just the lines on the right.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Is there a difference? I was under the impression that permanent IR is classsed as burn?

My understanding is that uneven wear in plasmas causes IR as the pixel phosphors in a particular region are excited less over a period of time than the surrounding pixels (phosphors age with use over time, emitting less light as they age). All pixels in a plasma have to receive the correct/minimum voltage level as part of the pre-charge cycle, else the pxiel will not illumate and this pre-charge voltage varies (inceases over the lifetime of the panel) due to phosphor ageing.

Isn't build-up of charge applicable only to LCD?

IR is always present, just most the time its so brief you don't notice, its a buildup of charge, in theory just turning a set off for a while will get rid of minor IR. Burn is uneven wear, IR can be a contributory factor over time but isn't burn. Burn is a shadow while, IR is a light impression of what caused it.

Last edited:

ArmitageShanks

Prominent Member
I can't see anything wrong with the picture, where is the burn/ir
I can only see it in the first image - there are 3 or 4 dark vertical bands on the right side of the panel.

There's also a general darkish horizontal band/smear over the central part of the image which looks like IR/wear/burn from a 2.35:1 film?

mikelj

Prominent Member
Scooby2000 said:
IR is always present, just most the time its so brief you don't notice, its a buildup of charge, in theory just turning a set off for a while will get rid of minor IR. Burn is uneven wear, IR can be a contributory factor over time but isn't burn. Burn is a shadow while, IR is a light impression of what caused it.

Ah right, I think I understand. So IR is caused by a residual charge that still excites the pixels so a faint after image remains, whereas burn would be permanent due to uneven wear and since the 'burnt' pixels would have aged more they would appear darker.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Many earlier generation plasmas suffer massively from IR. Switch them back on and you can often clearly see the previous image. IR is also normally quite sharp, with recognisable shapes and text.

That does not look like burn either. I would suggest the original panel was faulty and is becoming progressively worse.

Not sure how you proceed though. Suggest you contact Panasonic directly and bypass the dealer.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Many earlier generation plasmas suffer massively from IR. Switch them back on and you can often clearly see the previous image. IR is also normally quite sharp, with recognisable shapes and text.

That does not look like burn either. I would suggest the original panel was faulty and is becoming progressively worse.

Not sure how you proceed though. Suggest you contact Panasonic directly and bypass the dealer.

NO bad advice you deal with the retailer as that's where you have rights, its NOT the manufacturers responsibility. SOGA covers up to 6 years and over rules any warranty.

@mikelj that's it.:smashin:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Fair enough Scooby. I should have clarified that I meant to ascertain if the panel is faulty or whether Panasonic consider this to be "normal" degredation (Hopefully not).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom